Who else is ambivalent towards the whole marriage thing?

xaliqen

If I could be a Nord and go out questing to save Skyrim in real life I assuradly wouldn't buy the game lol, there isn't really much that actually overlaps with actions in real life.. there aren't sword fights all over America, or monsters or even cities were I can go around stealing stuff for fun... no one gives you 'quests' or has epic storylines.. its a pretty solidly unrelated game when it comes to real life

I can't go sword fighting in real life though... especially against dragons trying to obliterate country :/

Honestly, and I mean no great disrespect, but your logic defies all logic.

So back in a medieval time in RL history, because there wasn't dragons- anything that happened or myths (which a lot of TES is based on) doesn't count? But marriage in Skyrim is a cheap immitation?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The romance I'll just approach like I do irl; Not actively looking for it, but if someone strikes my interest, why the hell not? But I'm happy they decided enabled my char to have friends at least. Not only will NPC interaction seem less one-dimensional, but Todd willing, it would be nice to have a place to crash as I'm making my way across the country on foot. For mage guild members and fighter's guild members this wasn't an issue in most places, but for thieves and dark brotherhood members our options were rather limited unless we bought a house in every city. In Oblivion there were a few people I had 100 disposition with and would defend me to the death from Mythic Dawn assassins, bandits, and guards trying to arrest me, but when I'd walk into their house at night they'd yell at me to GTFO. Hopefully this won't be the case in Skyrim, and perhaps they'd let me spend the night at their place.

Plus there were a few times in Oblivion where my thief had to face impossible odds (for example, a small army of Xivilai) and barely made it out alive because I ran out of summoning scrolls and that character was not too skilled in melee. That would be another circumstance where it would be nice to have more combat oriented companions. In that case I hope they upgraded the AI, because it seemed like companions would die or get knocked unconscious just as the battle begun. It's like they left their healing potions at home or something. :confused: But I heard that you can actually give orders to them, so hopefully having them get killed off right away will be less of an issue.

Honestly, and I mean no great disrespect, but your logic defies all logic.

So back in a medieval time in RL history, because there wasn't dragons- anything that happened or myths (which a lot of TES is based on) doesn't count? But marriage in Skyrim is a cheap immitation?

Sure? things that are in Skyrim have parallels to history, but sadly that barely relates to the post.

Edited by Alistat

I thought I heard someone on the forum say that you needed to wear a special amulet to start a romance. Is that true? PLEASE tell me that isn't true. It would feel SO out-of-place, if that were true.

Yeah I heard that too, appearantly it signifies that you are single.

Edited by TehWubZ

The marriage thing is alright. I don't know if I'll make use of it but more options is good.

The friendship thing interests me a lot, though, especially since you might persuade them to adventure with you. It would be cool to gain a friend early on and have him/her follow you throughout your adventure. This does require them to be decent warriors or spellslingers, as there wouldn't be much point if they just got slaughtered. I also detect the possibility of marrying a rich girl, only to have a mysteriously dissapear, leaving the house to you, her grieving husband.

Hmm... so if we marry someone with a nice house can we move in there?

I feel manipulative schemes growing in my head...

Now I aint saying he a gold digger... Ok yes I am i play on finding the girl with the BIGGEST... house

Just make sure there is a basement with 1. cages, 2. chains hanging from the ceiling and the walls, and 3. a drain for the blood :D

I thought I heard someone on the forum say that you needed to wear a special amulet to start a romance. Is that true? PLEASE tell me that isn't true. It would feel SO out-of-place, if that were true.

Yeah I heard that too, appearantly it signifies that you are single.

I'm wondering if you give them the amulet like you would an engagement ring, or do you just put it on your person and the NPC would automatically be like "Hey, nice necklace! Wanna shag?" Kind of like the flower thing; wear it on the right side means you're single and on the left side it means you're taken (I think?)

I kinda hope it's not the latter. :facepalm:

I think the marriage part is a gimmick. Same as the same-sex relationships. It's a gimmick to try and sell more copies. That's it. As if somehow, someone in marketing thought that there were people who were wavering on buying the game because they couldn't get married or have same-sex relationships. Also; that way the LGBT crowd can say "Hey! Here's a friendly game we can play!" That equals more sales. Although, to be honest, I can't imagine that anyone who isn't into RPGs of this caliber are going to suddenly jump into it because they can be gay in-game as well. Maybe they will. I doubt it. That seems like a pretty damn shallow reason to buy a game.

Trust me, it's going be poorly implemented and we're all going to be able to tell. I don't mind it in the game at all but it should be more than "Wear an amulet" like you're a monkey in estrus.

Yes, I'll get married at some point. Just to try it out. But I'm not buying Skyrim because I can marry someone. That would be like buying Skyrim just because it has dragons in it. Dragons don't make a game good. They don't even make it better. It's just a thing, in the game, and I'm going to try to beat the game without killing any dragons... that I'm not obligated to kill to complete the main quest line. :pirate:

Final Take: If it wasn't a marketing gimmick they wouldn't have mentioned it at all and instead would have just slipped it in quietly as a very cool feature that doesn't really effect gameplay. The trumpeting about it shows otherwise.