Cant Install ANY mods?

Salona

Any mods I download from here, I follow the instructions (e.g. drag into Data folder).

But when I click on the Oblivion launcher -> Data there is nothing but the oblvion main file - no other files for the mods in my data files.

What am I doing wrong? :S

Edited by Salona

This is my "Beginner's Guide" post:

Are you running Windows Vista/7 and is your \Oblivion\ or \Steam\ directory in the default location (C:\Program Files\)? If so, Windows UAC is known to cause all kinds of issues while modding Oblivion and it's highly recommended to go ahead and move steam to somewhere Windows UAC doesn't affect, like C:\Games\ and reinstall Oblivion to that location as well. If you're on XP you can skip all of this as Windows UAC isn't implemented.

Next, you need to ensure you're running the latest version of Oblivion. If you're running the GOTY edition off of Steam or via disc, simply activating Shivering Isles will ensure that you're on the newest version. If you don't have SI, I highly recommend getting it as it adds a vast amount of content to the game and you'll find it is required by a great number of mods. The most up-to-date version is 1.2.0416 and your version number is located at the top of "readme.txt" located in C:\...\Oblivion\.

Then, go ahead and install OBMM and/or Wrye Bash and run BSA Redirection as your form of Archive Invalidation one time. Without using some form of Archive Invalidation Oblivion has problems with using user created textures and animations instead of the vanilla content. BSA Redirection is the best solution to Archive Invalidation as it's practically fool proof and never needs to be updated after you've done it once.

The next step for a Steam installation is to use File Date Changer to roll back the "Last Modified" dates of all of the .bsa archives that come in your vanilla Oblivion install (plus the DLC of course) to somewhere around 2005. This is necessary for BSA Redirection to work properly.

From here, be sure to make at least one character save in Oblivion so that you have a known working standard. I personally recommend playing through the tutorial dungeon (the sewers) up until right before the exit that allows you to change your character's aspects and keeping that save around permanently. This gives you a good testing base for adding mods in the future and you never have to play through the sewers again.

Now you're ready to start modding. I'd say take it easy and try something simple like a sword or a simple texture replacer and then go ensure that it's actually taking effect in your game. Moving on you can add other mods, though I recommend installing them one or two at a time and trying them out for a little bit before adding more. This way when an issue does occur (and it's bound to happen) you'll have a pretty good idea of where to start troubleshooting.

Here's a list of mods I'd recommend for any Oblivion install whether you're after grossly modded content or not:

The Unofficial Oblivion Patch and the Unofficial Patch Supplementals (Be sure to get the Shivering Isles patch for SI and the Unofficial Official Mods Patch for any other DLC you may be running)

Darn UI or Dark Darn UI

Natural Environments or All Natural

MiniMap

In addition to that, you should avoid using the "Data Files" section of the Oblivion launcher and use Wrye Bash or OBMM to manage your active mods. Just opening the "Data Files" section sorts your load order by date, which you'll find is a rather broken method.

Edited by MShoap13

I'm going to try re installing it in "C:\Games\" and patch it to the latest version and try again =]

Thanks for the help guys, I will let you know if I have any more issues ^^

Meh....

* I uninstalled it and re-installed it in the C:\Games\ section.

* Played the game through till after the sewers...

* Installed Oblivion Mod manger...

* I updated the game to the latest version and have Shivering Isles...

but I still cant seem to get any mods working.... x.x

When you look in your data folder in windows explorer, do you see the esp's and esm's? If you don't see the extensions, then go to folder options in control panel, click on the view tab and find the item that says "hide extensions for known file types" and remove the tick in the circle.

When you look in your data folder in windows explorer, do you see the esp's and esm's? If you don't see the extensions, then go to folder options in control panel, click on the view tab and find the item that says "hide extensions for known file types" and remove the tick in the circle.

The data file being this?

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/_Hexen_/Untitled.png

I don't see any mods in your data folder beyond the DLCs - which install a different way.

Not every mod will install in exactly the same way, however most will work with the drag and drop method - Please be sure to read the documentation on each mod though.

Most common Neophyte mistake is not unzipping the mod before trying to put it in the data folder. Sometimes us geeks just forget that everyone doesn't know these things. :whistling:

Nearly all files are downloaded in a compressed format, commonly refereed to as 'zipped' or 'zip files'. Zip files will have suffixes such as .zip, .rar, or 7z - these are different brand names used by the parent program - .zip for Winzip, .rar for Winrar or .7z for 7-zip

All except 7-zip are commercial products that ask for payment to be used - with a free trial period.

7-zip is absolutely FREE for any use, and for as many computers as you want to use it on - And in my opinion is as good as or better than the others. It is available for FREE download at sites that do not charge for downloads, including right here at TesNexus http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15579

Please read the documentation - included in the self extracting file you download - Don't try to install 7-zip (or whatever unzipping program you use) to the data, allow it to install to it's default location as it can be used for many other types of files besides games.

Now, In my Moderator voice.

Your Sig is far to large and exceeds our size limitation. Look here for the rule on sigs.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/1721-avatars-and-signature-limits/

Bben46, Moderator

I don't see any mods in your data folder beyond the DLCs - which install a different way.

Not every mod will install in exactly the same way, however most will work with the drag and drop method - Please be sure to read the documentation on each mod though.

Most common Neophyte mistake is not unzipping the mod before trying to put it in the data folder. Sometimes us geeks just forget that everyone doesn't know these things. :whistling:

Nearly all files are downloaded in a compressed format, commonly refereed to as 'zipped' or 'zip files'. Zip files will have suffixes such as .zip, .rar, or 7z - these are different brand names used by the parent program - .zip for Winzip, .rar for Winrar or .7z for 7-zip

All except 7-zip are commercial products that ask for payment to be used - with a free trial period.

7-zip is absolutely FREE for any use, and for as many computers as you want to use it on - And in my opinion is as good as or better than the others. It is available for FREE download at sites that do not charge for downloads, including right here at TesNexus http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15579

Please read the documentation - included in the self extracting file you download - Don't try to install 7-zip (or whatever unzipping program you use) to the data, allow it to install to it's default location as it can be used for many other types of files besides games.

Now, In my Moderator voice.

Your Sig is far to large and exceeds our size limitation. Look here for the rule on sigs.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/1721-avatars-and-signature-limits/

Bben46, Moderator

There is no mods in the folder because I deleted them out of there once I couldnt get them to work, but I will try what you said and see if I can get them to work. Thank you for the help,

Edited by Salona