how is the leveling system in skyrim?

justice1000

Can you still mess up your character then, or can you just play however you feel and not have to force yourself to do x skills before levelling? That would be awesome.

Unlike in Oblivion, you can't "mess up your character" by accidentally leveling the wrong skill or whatever. The closest you could do to messing up your character is picking a perk you didn't want, which I'm sure would be irreversible. But yeah, in every way, leveling has been improved over past games. Namely Oblivion.

Can you still mess up your character then, or can you just play however you feel and not have to force yourself to do x skills before levelling? That would be awesome.

Unlike in Oblivion, you can't "mess up your character" by accidentally leveling the wrong skill or whatever. The closest you could do to messing up your character is picking a perk you didn't want, which I'm sure would be irreversible. But yeah, in every way, leveling has been improved over past games. Namely Oblivion.

I bet it would only be temporarily irreversible, as there will be a "respec your character" mod 10 minutes after release :P

I'm really enjoying how they fixed the system, as it always seemed extremely complicated and silly in Oblivion.

it's a good thing

it can be, it also cannot be..

if streamlining removes content/mechanics (the very act of simplifiying the game on the user end near always does) that means it will have a negative (lost content/mechanics) and so could be viewed negatively.

I hated the old system of +5 stats and what not but would have preferred Bethesda to improve it instead of scrapping it (i like customization) and claiming to make up for it with perks (wich seem to have near all their abilities copied and pasted from the old Oblivion skill bars ending with what seems to be less to the game ><)

They did something similar with birth signs, or now say star stones? wich changes the mechanic from choosing one unique and generally powerfull buff to finding stones around the world that let you easily switch between the buffs all you want after you find them... To me thats conceptually a negative since the game gets far less replay value, but if they put in a good deal of effort and made the abilities more unique, fun and situational it could end up working out well enough though...

Actually, a big "*skill* Increased" sign pops up as soon you increase in a skill.

And the leveling system is exactly the same as in every TES game. It's not streamlined at all.

they got rid of the entire stats system. That is an extreme change from Oblivion leveling where you had to consciously power level your charector early on to get all the +5s to endurance possible if you want to have a chance at being good (on more than easy mode) while now you can just level near whatever the hell you want and still have your charector's 'stats' maxed out... that is about as streamlined as the leveling could become, with the only exception being perks like I said before

Edited by Alistat

I bet it would only be temporarily irreversible, as there will be a "respec your character" mod 10 minutes after release :P

I'm really enjoying how they fixed the system, as it always seemed extremely complicated and silly in Oblivion.

just like they had a good 'better stats mod' out for Oblivion not a week after release ;)

the Oblivion/Morrowind games left more potential for engaging in-game character customizations

Skyrim seems to have stopped aiming for that though. From everything I've heard they seem to be putting little emphasis on mechanics, instead leaving more of the the character customization to roleplaying (not entirely, just more so than in the earlier games)

Edited by Alistat

I think it's good that they removed the levelling problem. It's not very role-play'ish to stop adventuring, stop progressing your character's history and go kill x monsters or make x potions because you need the right skills. That's more MMO style and it gets kind of annoying after a while. You see a dungeon but won't enter because for this level up you can't train combat, or you wish to use a bow but you can't cause it would mess up your stats, it was pretty unpleasant. I think this alone will make Skyrim much more enjoyable than Oblivion. Edited by StormTemplar

Has the levelling problem been removed? When you'd be ridiculously weak if you didn't get +5 +5 +5 stats at every level up?

Lol... weak? Vanilla Oblivion was laughably easy even when only getting 2s and 3s.

Sure? I mean with the Oblivion difficulty slider set to nothing you could get only 1s and still lol threw everything... I only really played it heavily modded and the static leveling/combat adjustment mods made getting those 5s the only way to really get ahead of the curve early without, of course, just nocking the difficulty down to nothing here and there (wich I hate doing so avoid as much as possible)

Edited by Alistat

Has the levelling problem been removed? When you'd be ridiculously weak if you didn't get +5 +5 +5 stats at every level up?

Lol... weak? Vanilla Oblivion was laughably easy even when only getting 2s and 3s.

Sure? I mean with the Oblivion difficulty slider set to nothing you could get only 1s and still lol threw everything... I only really played it heavily modded and the static leveling/combat adjustment mods made getting those 5s the only way to really get ahead of the curve early without, of course, just nocking the difficulty down to nothing here and there (wich I hate doing so avoid as much as possible)

I left it set on normal, but if playing with bigger numbers makes you feel better than playing with small numbers that's cool. So you pretty much made the enemies do more damage but power gamed to offset it... makes sense.

I left it set on normal, but if playing with bigger numbers makes you feel better than playing with small numbers that's cool. So you pretty much made the enemies do more damage but power gamed to offset it... makes sense.

I was hoping you didn't assume that :/

so let me break this down, I think it'd be the best way to describe it to you...

-if the settings are at low you die slowly and the enemies die decently fast.

-if the settings are at medium you die somewhat faster but the enemies take a bit to take down.

-if the settings are at extremely hard you die faster and some of the enemies take ages/gliching to kill.

-if the game is modded like mine you die really fast if you screw up, even after power leveling, but the enemies die relatively fast too.

Its a different gameplay style, one I found to be more fun :)

Edited by Alistat