We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Material Swap Non-Melee weapon?

thelaurent

I can material swap melee weapons, and armor, but I cant seem to get it to work with guns... Ive added COBJ's, MSWPS, OMODS, and keywords appropriately and Ive edited the 10mm to be able to recieve material mods. and it shows up in the weapon workbench like in the screenshot, but if i click the materials tab, the game crashes. Any ideas? I can post the .esm if needed

Edited by thelaurent

question
if you change a power armour to a higher or lower grade (make sure that you have it uncoloured, upgrade it, colour it, then downgrade again without painting it)
what happens?
look at the melee weapons, take a machete or something really very simple and easy to look at for changes, does the serrated mod affect how it looks?
for testing purposes, make a new file/weapon for testing, make it garishly pink or something by default, just colour the baseline test weapon, then go into the game, make sure it's like that, then make the machete go from normal to "serrated"
does the serrated edge look different than pink? :smile:

a gun's visuals are ALL made up of its mods, and not just a baseline weapon the way melee weapons and armours are.... and if I guess right, the armours work because it's the armour coloured and the mods are just statistical things, not graphics things

I deleted all the mod keywords/listings or whatever for institute lasers in a noobie attempt to remove them from loot lists because I was trying to integrate the LAEP gun into the game via synths (it's a potent weapon wanted them to have it) and I ended up with invisible laser guns
another few times I managed to do things that resulted in the mods themselves from the guns not existing ingame and guess what, an invisible laser gun/pipegun/revolver/anything! a gun with no mods, is invisible!
unlike power armours and melee where mods are just the statistics and the baseline item gives the look, with guns the mods give the look and the baseline item just gives stats (it's reversed for them in other words)

you may have to rip the various bits apart from each other and individually put them onto the guns' individual pieces lol

although this is dependent on what you're trying to do exactly, if you're just trying to make the vanilla guns look prettier that might be how

Edited by tartarsauce2

This is actually something I wanted to do as well for my weapon, I think I'm just going to make each skin a separate weapon unless there's some way to script it to tell all the parts to change textures when a certain mod is equipped.

Edit: Actually hold on, I think I found something in the GECK.

Alright so you can actually make a material swap 'set' apparently (formid: 217b86, for example), like how the Hot Rod paintjob works for PAs where it has a list of material swaps it makes - makes my life a lot easier.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm