Cant play game with music enabled (HELP?)

I was looting some enemies in the start of the game, I paused to look over the gear and randomly when going though menus the mouse and keybord stopped responding. It keeps happening every time after a few mins of playing.

i am using no mods. I am on windows 7. I do not have a controller plugged in. My sound drivers are all updated, I associated .wav and .mp3 files with WindowsMediaPlayer.

When the game is starting up the starting audio is choppy, but sounds fine ingame. I have Realtek Hd audio manger
I have heard it has to do with a codec issue, so I tried the K-lite codec pack but that is FULL OF VIRUSES. So I am not using that again.

I reset my pc, verified the files, edited the .ini file, tried window mode, run the .exe as admin (which causes a crash while playing) and reinstalled the game 6 times now but still have the problem. Once when the problem happened I was still able to move my mouse, but wasnt able to click anything, and the keyboard was not responding. The game is not frozen, because when this happens outside the menu the afk camera starts circling my character.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

EDIT: I disabled Music from the .INI file and the game works, but how can I play with music/sound?

Seriously, it works when I set both to 0, but i want sound and music. How can I fix this?

Edited by ConkerTheCat

The advice I have seen given in TweakGuides is that the game doesn't get along well with "codec paks" (i.e. K-Lite codec pak). Have you treied uninstalling any you have installed?

The advice I have seen given in TweakGuides is that the game doesn't get along well with "codec paks" (i.e. K-Lite codec pak). Have you treied uninstalling any you have installed?

I am not sure what to do at this point, I read though http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_7.html but it only mentions codec as a thing not to have if you had audio problems, but i dont have audio problems besides the keyboard and mouse stop responding and I had that well before I installed the k lite codec pack.

Did some testing: Without the K lite codec pack I have the problem, with the K lite codec pack I still have the problem. K lite codec doesnt seem to change the issue.

Edited by ConkerTheCat

I have a fuzzy recollection of a similar problem reported a long time ago, but don't recall if the issue was ever resolved.

If you are not running a dedicated sound card I'd try disabling the sound hardware acceleration (something like bDHWSoundAcceleration or similar in Oblivion.ini if memory serves).

I am not sure what to do at this point, I read though http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_7.html but it only mentions codec as a thing not to have if you had audio problems, but i dont have audio problems besides the keyboard and mouse stop responding and I had that well before I installed the k lite codec pack.

Did some testing: Without the K lite codec pack I have the problem, with the K lite codec pack I still have the problem. K lite codec doesnt seem to change the issue.

I changed [Audio]

bDSoundHWAcceleration=1 to 0, and the problem still happened. After playing a min of the game, the keyboard and mouse stopped responding. I was walking when it happened, so it kept forcing me to walk into a wall with no way to play the game

Edited by ConkerTheCat

I had an old Vista laptop that used Realtek and once ran into a problem (but not a problem playing games ... that laptop wouldn't play any games). It happened right after I allowed Microsoft Update to install some "recommended" driver updates, one of those being the Realtek drivers. To resolve the problem I had to uninstall the driver from MS and install the latest one from the Realtek site.

I always have all automatic updates turned off, so I knew exactly where to look when troubleshooting, but most people have automatic updates turned on and just take whatever MS decides to push at them. Could your problem be as a result of a Microsoft update?