Mod porting from Oblivion

Zachcuden

This is just a guess, but I think the Construction set will probably work along the same lines as the previous versions. However, even though it's using the same engine, it has been heavily modified from it's previous incarnations. From Fallout 3 to New Vegas, it was pretty much an exact copy, and moving the files from one set to the other was pretty easy. It's possible that a lot has changed from Oblivion to Skyrim, but I'm thinking the CS will probably utilize the same principles, or I would like to hope at least.

Oblivion/FO3/FONV all used versions of the Gamebryo engine. Skyrim is using an in house engine called Creation. I don't know how similar creation will be to gamebryo. I'm sure that there will be similarities since Bethesda has been using Gamebryo for a long time. But Creation is supposed to be all new, in house, and I highly doubt there will be compatibility with older TES mods.

Oblivion/FO3/FONV all used versions of the Gamebryo engine. Skyrim is using an in house engine called Creation. I don't know how similar creation will be to gamebryo. I'm sure that there will be similarities since Bethesda has been using Gamebryo for a long time. But Creation is supposed to be all new, in house, and I highly doubt there will be compatibility with older TES mods.

Creation is Gamebryo, it's just modified heavily and incorporates things like havok and Speedtree into one.

Creation is Gamebryo, it's just modified heavily and incorporates things like havok and Speedtree into one.

Wikipedia suggests that they aren't using SpeedTree and are going with their own thing.

They're still using NIFs so porting shouldn't be that hard, hopefully it'll be a little harder than porting from FO3 to NV was, I doubt anyone wants to see a repeat of the wholesale theft of mods that happened in the early days of NV.

Because if you do steal someone's work and upload it here. The results will be most unpleasant and probably permanent in nature.

If you did not create it, you need permission to use it and host it here. Simple, there is a test at the end of the class so pay attention.

So I take it from the above posts that there's been no word on whether we're going to have Beth's nif tools? I don't know why but I always sort of feel guilty that the weight of half the modding community always inevitably falls on the niftools guys when one of these games comes out. At the very least porting your mods over from previous games would be complicated by the fact that apparently characters can change their body shapes in some ways. If its anything like the morphs they used on heads/faces previously that could be a world of suck. So to speak. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg as far as changes go with the nif files.

I would like to see a few of the dragon themed items from Oblivion to make it into Skyrim, but I would also like the aesthetic items as well, things like filled bookcases, weapon and armor display racks which have been updated to Skyrim models. These are the things I enjoyed using when making my house mod, and would like to see them return so I can do it again.