a simple fix to the mod stealing problem

filefangs

If it's so difficult to transfer a mod from PC to console, then how are all the thieves doing it?

I'm not condoning the behavior by any means, but I do think that most of the thievery that is happening is not meant to be malicious. It's just console dudes that really want to install this or that cool mod which isn't available for them.

Again, I'm not saying it's OK. However, in order to find a good solution it's important not to ignore the reason(s) why it is happening.

it’s not hard to download a mod, from any other site, and upload it to bethesda.Toxicwaste, maybe five minutes, maybe less . I’ve never actually tried….

However, making sure works, properly: won’t crop the save file of the system in question, making sure that the textures, and assets, will not diminish the frame rate of the system in question, and a whole slew of other issues, does take time.

Time that the users are not willing to wait, mainly because I think they don’t understand the issues, however, that does not in anyway, Excuse: theft, and disrespecting the artists that spent their time and effort, and sometimes money; making the mods to give away to you for free.

Personally, I could almost forgive the reupload, if they gave author the proper credit, were not trying to collect donations for other people’s work, and work disrespecting the original authors in the comment sections and the forums, both here and on bethesda.Toxicwaste

Congrats OP, you solved the massive moral dilemma and possibly legal issues! It's alright everyone, just go home now, this guy solved the issue of online theft and intellectual property in the digital age.

But sarcasm aside, that is just a truly awful suggestion. If I make a mod, it's mine, and I should not have to upload it for consoles just to make sure it doesn't get stolen by someone else. You're basically blaming the victim. "You didn't upload it for consoles, so you're asking for it to get stolen."

Seriously? Giving people the credit they deserve is one of the core rules of this site (not sure if it's written anywhere, it's just accepted by everyone and we all do it). The people that steal mods are just lazy or impatient. If you dislike Vanilla fallout 4 so much that you need to completely steal someone else's work to enjoy it, you probably shouldn't be playing this game. This issue was only ever a problem when Steam tried to do paid modding, and now when Bethesda does console mods. It's absolutely astounding how quickly everything gets messed up once other places try to get involved.

@OP everyone here is dumber for having read your pointless ramblings. May god have mercy on your soul.

Has anyone thought of making something like a community resource for mod makers that doesn't really change anything but can be made required by mod authors while at the same time making it incompatible with consoles until of course the author is ready or wanting to move there work there.

If it's so difficult to transfer a mod from PC to console, then how are all the thieves doing it?

I'm not condoning the behavior by any means, but I do think that most of the thievery that is happening is not meant to be malicious. It's just console dudes that really want to install this or that cool mod which isn't available for them.

Again, I'm not saying it's OK. However, in order to find a good solution it's important not to ignore the reason(s) why it is happening.

No one said it was "hard" to upload to Beth.net. What's time consuming is making the mod work with consoles. If you haven't noticed (A) your machines aren't very powerful and (B) you have a 2GB limit and no compression. Sure a mod maker can just upload his 4K armor in the game--and then you can drop frames whenever anyone wears it and give up half your LO to do so. If that sounds una-f*cking-ppealling then give them the damn time to scale it back so *you* can get the best experience.

In addition to the size of the mods, as RS13 pointed out, there are mods that can sometimes require entire rebuilding to work properly on consoles. Case and point is the popular Dynavision mod by Gopher. As he points out, it technically ran on consoles in its default state, however because xbox uses higher end DOF by default and you cannot change it, it looked horrible and didn't work well, despite the fact that it would run and not break the game. He had to rewrite the entire mod to get it to work with this limitation and took a good amount of time. If one of the mod thieves had stolen it, and uploaded it in its default state to beth.net it would've been reviewed horribly and down voted endlessly because it looked so bad, but once he took the proper time, it's now compatible on both systems and is pretty popular.

And then there is the challenges of content rules. I have a mod in the works that will never be allowed on Consoles. It has some content that violates the Bethesda, Microsoft and Sony End User Agreements. Should some ignit foo steal my mod and upload it, they would probably get banned from Bethesda.net.

Edited by RattleAndGrind

Would it be better if Bethesda switched to an invitation or application system and disabled the option of having anyone upload mods to the site? That way they could review the mod and verify it before accepting it. It would be more work for them but hey, this is apparently what they wanted. They either didn't think this whole thing through or made a huge mistake of even thinking they could do something like this. I know this is new territory for consoles and mistakes are bound to be made but from what I've been reading this is ridiculous.

I haven't tried making mods yet either. Ever since Skyrim I wanted to try, but watching this circus unfold makes me cringe.

Bethesda is already implementing that you need to own a legal copy of Fallout 4 and linking your Bethesda.net account with your steam account to upload a mod. Soooo all of that is unneeded.