How to legally use fallout 3 stuff in NV?

kevinshively

I want to know if there is a way to legally use fallout 3 stuff in NV? if so let me know i want to add a city to my world space mod and need buildings from fo3 so i could use some help i really dont want to get banned

Well, the only way that I think would be possible is to make your mod require the Fallout 3 .esm file, as well as the BSA files and everything else associated with Fallout 3. However, I do not know how to do that. I suggest speaking with the guy who make the 'A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland' mod as he's done just that.

Well, the only way that I think would be possible is to make your mod require the Fallout 3 .esm file, as well as the BSA files and everything else associated with Fallout 3. However, I do not know how to do that. I suggest speaking with the guy who make the 'A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland' mod as he's done just that.

ok thanks and would editing the file just a lttle make them allowable to use in nv?

You could extract the BSA files, use those but not include the files you used for the NV mod. That way, only people that own Fallout 3 could use the mod. All others that try to use it would have a white exclamation mark surrounded by a red diamond, indicating that the files are not there. Something like this: :excl:

Except, you know, white and red 'n' stuff.

They would need the original BSAs from Fallout 3 in their New Vegas folder to use them.

Things to remember:

Only upload content you have uniquely created/ have express permission to upload from the author

Anything else (eg DLC/base game content) must be extracted from what the user has on their computer already (the mod tells the game where to find the file)

Always place credit where it is due, and always specify if your mod is dependent on another file that's not provided

Keep these rules in mind and you will be ok legally.

If there is something in Fallout 3 you wish to use in New Vegas... Chances are the file is in the New Vegas bsa's

Don't go rooting around the Geck, not everything is in there and some things are deliberately not shown in the geck to fool people into thinking the files aren't there.

Find out the model name and directory in the Fallout 3 bsa's and cross reference that with the New Vegas bsa. If the files are indeed there then congratulations you can simply add that to your game using the Geck :)

So long as you make sure to use the same directory as the bsa's the mod will work completely fine for everyone with just the esp. So feel free to distribute the esp's as much as you like :D

Now this is where the legality becomes a grey area.

If there are some Fallout 3 files you want in New Vegas but the files aren't in the BSA's.

I -think- (don't quote me on this) you can use them in New Vegas but ONLY for yourself.

This means you cannot distribute the files at all and even showing images of it is discouraged by many.

The only files you might be able to distribute are the esp's which would mean the mod user would have to search for and build up the directories themselves in order for the mod to work correctly.