Steam, delivery or buy/collect in store?

SavageNights

I was just thinking about how I wanted to buy the game. I am not sure if I want to buy from steam because I like to have something 'physical' but there is a possibility that I could either have it delivered or I could collect it in store.

As unhealthy as it is I am not sure I could manage not being able to play Skyrim on its release date. What if I bought it through a retailer and wanted it to be delivered but it came two or three days late?!

What are your thoughts?

I went through a similar decision. I wanted to get this game on release day since it's a Friday...I'd have a weekend to sink my time into the game before work! There's no way I could risk not getting it on release day, so what I did is ordered through Gamestop and instead of having it shipped, I selected the in store pick up option.

Gamestop offered an overnight shipping option which guarantees delivery on the release date...but shipping is $10 ridiculous dollars.

...I am an avid Steam gamer; however, some games are just meant to have a physical copy. Skyrim is one of them. The Witcher 2 was another. That physical copy of the game was loaded with extras. It was quite impressive. I doubt Skyrim will be loaded like The Witcher 2 was, but it's still better to have a color manual and a physical map.

I have to opt for picking it up from the store because I'm not allowed to use the credit card, so I can't have it delivered...either way I'll still be getting it on Friday...just a lot later then most people...I have to wait until like 6 pm before I can get to the Gamestop I ordered from. I'm going to to store later today to change my copy from standard to collectors, simply because I want the statue...I'm also going to order the collectors guide to have a full set.

Interesting that people want to collect it in store. I would honestly collect it in store at midnight if they had that. I am going to clear my weekend and not come out from my room except for food and exercise.

I can't understand the desire for the Collector's Edition. You're buying a coloured dragon for £100. Although because of this it might be worth something in the future.

physical disk is a distribution variation of the steam product

if its anything like Fallout Vegas --- it'll need 2 hours update in any case

so the physical copy is not really saving you much

well maybe --

it'll save you an 8 hour download.

ROTFLMAO come to think of it

it'll only save you the download if you can convince the installer not to download the whole game from steam anyways (many people had this particular problem with FO-NV)

Edited by Fonger

I live in Italy but preordered from Amazon UK because when I play PC games I always prefer the original voice acting (in English), even if that means I'll have to wait 1 extra week to get the game...