Mods and the Creation engine?

envelope91

I'm really curious about one thing: Is the Creation engine just a SUPER MEGA modded version of the Gamebryo, or is it started from scratch to create a whole new engine? If its a whole new engine, wouldn't it take a veeery long time to create a totally new Construction Kit for the new engine?

Also, do you think this game go as far with modding as Oblivion did? As far as getting new shaders, huge texture packs, or even complete graphical overhauls? Discuss!

I'm really curious about one thing: Is the Creation engine just a SUPER MEGA modded version of the Gamebryo, or is it started from scratch to create a whole new engine? If its a whole new engine, wouldn't it take a veeery long time to create a totally new Construction Kit for the new engine?

Also, do you think this game go as far with modding as Oblivion did? As far as getting new shaders, huge texture packs, or even complete graphical overhauls? Discuss!

Todd Howard saidit so often: The creation engine is a totally NEW engine that was made for Skyrim. And bethesda will SUPPORT modding so I guess it will also be better modable than Oblivion. And as i heard, the Construction Kit is already released.

Hope I helped you.

Edited by Carimya

They said they rewrote so much of the engine that it made it as good as new, it's not completely new, they're still using Gamebryos meshes. Best wait till next week and find out, I put about as much faith in what Todd Howard says as I do the ramblings of Peter Molyneux.

What we have seen in the last video (trailer for the making of cd of the collectors edition) can we expect a pretty similar construction kit as it was used in Fallout 3 & New Vegas. Gamebryo was mostly responsible for the 3d rendering in Oblivion and the other games. The logic (NPC AI, scripts, ...) and World Building tools are all different from the original Gamebryo set and are customized for open world games. So Oblivion, FO3 & NV aren't really pure Gamebryo games in my opinion and had always their own engine.

Now that Bethesda also changed the rendering part you can call it a complete new engine.

But one of the comments was that the level designer expect continuity in working with the tools. This was confirmed at the little sneak peak we had in the video. It is also confirmed that the NIF format is still used. Pretty sure that Bethesda added new data types in it and we have to wait till the NIF tools are updated before we can see something fancy.

To sum it up: I expect a updated version of already known modding tools for Skyrim. The difference to Oblivion will be a lot greater because there where already two updates of this toolset.

Some blink in the near future:

I am pretty sure there will be a lot of questions where the pathgrid has gone (FO3 & NV are using navmeshes), why are all mod added NPCs don't move even if a correctly navmesh exists (esp/esm bug which is known since FO3 but still isn't corrected after several NV updates), LOD can't be created....

All things you have to learn if you mod for FO3 & NV but are different in Oblivion.

They said they rewrote so much of the engine that it made it as good as new, it's not completely new, they're still using Gamebryos meshes. Best wait till next week and find out, I put about as much faith in what Todd Howard says as I do the ramblings of Peter Molyneux.

I agree totally. So far Todd has promised:

"Because our worlds are so big all of the lighting has to be dynamic," he said. "That's something we had a little bit of in the past with shadowing, but not on everything. Now we have it on everything. It just makes the whole thing a lot more believable when you're there."

Yet, in the HD trailers I watched, few things had shadows, and those that did made you want to scramble for the options menu and shut them off (completely). They are nothing more than Depth Map Shadows (hard edged and ultra black all the way through regardless of how weak the light is).

If they are believable, then must be handing out Thorazine with the game.

I would give this 'creation engine' about a 95% chance of just being the GECK v3, which is good if you know the GECK. Not the most user friendly or stable, but neither is Maya (2012).

So far Todd has promised:

"Because our worlds are so big all of the lighting has to be dynamic," he said. "That's something we had a little bit of in the past with shadowing, but not on everything. Now we have it on everything. It just makes the whole thing a lot more believable when you're there."

Yet, in the HD trailers I watched, few things had shadows, and those that did made you want to scramble for the options menu and shut them off (completely). They are nothing more than Depth Map Shadows (hard edged and ultra black all the way through regardless of how weak the light is).

If they are believable, then must be handing out Thorazine with the game.

What sort of shadows would you prefer? Are you talking about a dynamic irradiance system or something like that?

The Creation Engine was not made from scratch. It had Gamebryo as a base, though, heavily modified. Just like jim_uk said, you'll still be able to use .nif files for meshes, which will make it a lot easier to port over mods from Oblivion to Skyrim. Given that it's fairly easy to port over to a new nif version, of course. Edited by Yoshh