Skyrim and Steam? Noob questions incoming...

moho25

@babis8142

Nope it didn't take down the piracy numbers. Steams DRM is already a open book for them (3hours after release in the case of NV).

And i know we are not allowed to discuss it (I didn't bring it up).

We customers who have payed are constantly nagged as it is with the DVDs.

Edited by sesom

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sesom : Ah, ok. That makes sense. Taking a look at the Steam Support page, doesn't look like I'll have any problems saving Steam to another location, but Skyrim does need to be saved in the Steam Apps folder, grrr. At least they both can reside on the partition that I want.

One final question: Will Steam screw with any games that are already installed?

Edited by moho25

One final question: Will Steam screw with any games that are already installed?

Not unless there's something fundamentally wrong with whatever games you have installed.

ps. again, I'm not advocating Steam or pretending to be a fanboy, but of the 13 games I currently have installed on my PC, 13 are supported by Steam. I have physical store copies of.. three of them. The rest I've individually backed up to disc after installing them.. via steam. 13 games, one DRM system -vs- 13 games, 13 DRM systems. Yeah, I'll take Steam, thanks.

(This is not always the case, I'm quite aware. Some games, even those installed via Steam, package additional DRM aside from Steam. It's a reality.)

So unless Steam can be deleted from my PC once it is used to authenticate my game disc I am permanetly saddled with a potential trojan. This along with other concerns is making me very uneasy.

Then go ahead and cancel your pre order

Done, got plenty other things to do anyway.

Don't worry no one will miss you

No worries here. It's just a mild protest to let them know I don't like the intrusion. A month or two from now I'll see the game in a store and buy it. That's the way it always goes. Bummer!

i would just get it because unless you have internet problems like me you are going to probably get Steam eventually anyways.

Also the official Beth forums would be a better place to vent your issues but I doubt it would make much difference and probably result in a flame fest.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

Thanks again to everyone that replied -- I think all of my questions have been answered. Now I just have to decide to either bite the bullet, or miss out on what I'm sure will be a fantastic game =/

It sounds like you have already decided. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I would say go for it. I have several single player games on Steam, and all of them run fine (with the exception of one; but that is my own fault. I failed to do research before I bought the game and learned that it doesn't like to work with ATI cards...)

Anyways, Steam isn't going to harm your computer. Sure, it uses up about 35-40 MB of RAM when you are using it, but Google chrome uses an average of 250 MB.

I think that most people are freaking out over Steam, because of the whole issue with Sony and EA Origins. It seems that they have (unfortunately) put a bad taste in everyone's mouth regarding these things.