Gameplay > Textures this time?

KMA

101 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see?

• Gameplay based mods
    • Texture based mods
    • An even mix of the two

Yeah a Crysis-like DOF would be nice. Every time I see DOF in Skyrim I cringe because it's the same as Fallout 3.

Cities are already open from what I recall. Houses are another thing though.

Edited by headbomb

I voted for gameplay simply because I don't know how well my computer will run Skyrim (6870 1GB) and if you add hi-resolution texture packs, will I have to take my settings down? If so...no thanks.

Well, I have been busy with work and I see this is going well. Right now it is a pretty good split down the middle, with nearly equal numbers for each category.

I voted for gameplay simply because I don't know how well my computer will run Skyrim (6870 1GB) and if you add hi-resolution texture packs, will I have to take my settings down? If so...no thanks.

Unless they horribly screwed up the F3 engine when they polished it and re-released it as their own, then no. It should run more smoothly than F3, which means that you will be able to load some HiRes textures (which game companies are mislabeling HD) but not a full replacement pack. It will depend on the other mods as well.

I just decided that I should start a new thread on mods and their impact on your system.

Well the gameplay-related mods I know I want at this point are

*Killable children

*UI overhaul

*Permanent corpses (or at least corpses that lasts until cell/dungeon respawn)

*Crossbows, spears, thrown weapons, ...

And the graphic-related mods I know I want at this point are

*Taking advantage of DX11 features. Todd said the game would run DX11 and take the "passive benefits" of the improved APIs and whatever, but just wouldn't use DX11 "active" features, like tessellation and SSAO, etc...

*Hi-res texture pack

Unless I am wrong about this just being a polished version of the F3/FNV engine, then these are all do-able:

*Killable children

*UI overhaul

*Permanent corpses (or at least corpses that lasts until cell/dungeon respawn)

Possible, but requires animations and a lot more work to make balanced - so NPCs can also use them:

*Crossbows, spears, thrown weapons, ...

Well it would be great if we could add in the DX11 features, but I would not hold my breath on that. They are very complex and usually take place at the engine level. Trying to execute them at the script level would likely cause massive slowdowns. Kinda like calculating a moon launch on a pocket calculator in real-time. Well possibly not that bad... :biggrin:

I really wish we could get the SSAO, as the shadows really appear to be terrible in the game. With the script extender we should be able to replace those with something reasonable, at least.

As for HiRes, it is a certainty that there will be some.

Does it matter? I don't think the people who usually work on graphics mods are the same people who usually work on gameplay mods.

That is usually due to graphics taking most of our time. I can do both, but usually start with graphics as they are usually what is requested. In this case, I thought I would ask.

The UI bothers me, I don't need Levelled Up or whatever covering half the screen.

You don't like gameplay interruptions? Are you one of those method-gamers? :teehee:

Does it matter? I don't think the people who usually work on graphics mods are the same people who usually work on gameplay mods.

That is usually due to graphics taking most of our time. I can do both, but usually start with graphics as they are usually what is requested. In this case, I thought I would ask.

The UI bothers me, I don't need Levelled Up or whatever covering half the screen.

You don't like gameplay interruptions? Are you one of those method-gamers? :teehee:

I'm sitting right in front of a 28" monitor, I really don't need massive fonts. Morrowind had a great UI and inventory, Oblivion and Fallout both had nasty consolised ones.