Gameplay > Textures this time?

KMA

101 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see?

• Gameplay based mods
    • Texture based mods
    • An even mix of the two

To be fair, Bethesda has already said the PC version wouldn't features horrible consoles fonts. I doubt they'll change the overall UI feel though.

Personally, I would

*Move the compass at the bottom

*Move enemy/object name at the bottom

*Stack Health/Magicka/Stamina bar one on top of the other, and move them all to the bottom left.

**Bars shrinks from the right, not from both sides at once

*System messages (LEVEL UP, SKILL INCREASE) move either the top right/left

*Menu overhaul (e.g. instead of scrolling left/right to browse skills, listify them)

*Sortable item (by name, by weight, by quality, by price, ...)

*Add menu tabs for ammunition, jewelery, magic (aka soulstones & scrolls)

*Paperdoll, showing your character /w equipment

Textures. The gameplay looks very solid, but the textures need serious work.

*Move the compass at the bottom

*Move enemy/object name at the bottom

*Stack Health/Magicka/Stamina bar one on top of the other, and move them all to the bottom left.

**Bars shrinks from the right, not from both sides at once

*System messages (LEVEL UP, SKILL INCREASE) move either the top right/left

*Menu overhaul (e.g. instead of scrolling left/right to browse skills, listify them)

*Sortable item (by name, by weight, by quality, by price, ...)

*Add menu tabs for ammunition, jewelery, magic (aka soulstones & scrolls)

*Paperdoll, showing your character /w equipment

All of the above, please. :D

Great. We not only have a pretty good response rate, with fairly definitive results (a mix of the two), but there are also specifics on getting the UI fixed. I have seen a number of UI threads, so I think there will be quite a few mods for this. If not then I will tackle as much of that as the tools allow.

As always I will need the tools and a day or two to examine the assets before deciding what my first mod will be. Based on this it will likely be smaller fix mods to start. Evenly divided between textures and gameplay. There is a group that I used to work with, that just let me know that they are setting up a team for Skyrim so I will probably be working with them which will mean faster workflow than I have been able to provide on any of my other mods (from F3 onwards).

For now, keep the votes and suggestions coming. When the team is officially formed, I will copy everything from here and transfer it to the start of the team thread (and link

to it).

EDIT (added Nov. 09/11)

“The PC version also gets higher res textures, larger render modes, and a bunch of other effects you can scale up if your machine is a beast,” they (the Devs) add."

Based on this, we may not have to worry about the textures as much. If they are proper HiRes, and not just up-scaled console versions, then getting better textures can be moved down the priority list as they will have to be texture replacements (with real world textures) to get much better.

This means that we can focus on the gameplay, if Beth lives up to their promises. Yet, this is one of those common situations where you are asked to buy if first and 'we promise to have this out shortly after', where shortly is not defined and can range from a couple of days to the launch date of their first DLC. With Skyrim the Fallout would be epic if Bethesda withheld the toolset for more than two weeks.

"The only thing we won’t be getting is a 64-bit specific exe"

which is just another piece of proof that this is not a new engine, just a cleaned up version of the gamebryo engine, with a new module or two (tweaked graphics mostly). Too bad since most of us on PCs have joined the modern era (using X64) and actually utilizing more than 3GB of RAM for the game would have been nice...

Also this - "Bethesda promise that we won’t see a return of Oblivion’s enormous fonts."

"We’re packing a lot of info on the screen and the whole interface is much less ‘look at giant fonts!’ than, say, Oblivion..."

Quote Link

The PCGamer source is here.

EDIT 2

While typing another response, I decided my first mod will be to reinstate some Racial differences as Beth has neutered them. This will probably require a restart, so if we get the tools on day 1 I will actually try to get it out immediately. Since there are no classes, then you may find that you are forced to re-start after you find out your planned build will not work, and then can take advantage of my mod. As for what the differences will be, I will have to evaluate and put the races into a database first before I decide. I will likely not stick to their variables, but probably expand them logically.

UI and others will come later as they can be installed at any time.

Cheers,

4Aces

Edited by KMA

• 2 weeks later...

Graphics Overhaul...

1.HiRez Textures

2.Screen Space Ambient Occlusion

3.Object based motion blur rather than screen based

4.Depth of Field

5.HDR Lighting

6.Interactive Trees (sway and break)

7.Parallax Occlusion Mapping

8.Dynamic Soft Shadows (Penumbra Effects)

9.First Person View Shadow (dynamic/real time)

10.First Person Freeze Effect for entering cold water

11.Subsurface Scattering Lighting

12.Better Water <More Seamless Transition from Water to Land>

Allot of these effects are only possible with DX10/DX11, but tell me what you think is possible now in this list and I'll repost when we get further details about the Creation Kit and a PC directx update.

Right now, Skyrim looks pretty good and there seems to be so much potential, but I am not sure if that is just because of the detail cast by the art design or the engine itself. Also, I am sure the addition of these effects in a DX10/DX11 version of Skyrim would slow down quite a bit...but I could be mistaken.

Skyrim Image 1 - IdentityAJB

Skyrim Image 2 - IdentityAJB

Skyrim Image 3 - IdentityAJB

...but I would like to see it turn to a less lush version of this...

Crysis Image 1 - IdentityAJB

Crysis Image 2 - IdentityAJB

Edited by IdentityAJB