need help turning dds to dds_n and dds_s

if anyone knows id appreciate some help... ok, ive taken the base dds file and edited with a tga paint.net editor but i was wondering if there is a way to turn that specific file now into a dds_n and dds_s set of files without having to edit each of the other types as well? i tried just saving the new dds with the _n and _s parts but that did not work, i am not sure i can do the exact same texture editing to the _n and _s files that i did to the original as they have that blue layer over them for one so i just want to know if i can turn the original into the other two so in essence it does the work for me. is this possible?

Not sure if there is a version for Paint.net but for the normal map you would need the Nvidia normal map tools --Here are the tools for Photoshop -- not sure if there is a version for paint.net but there may be or there are also other stand alone normal map making tools out there.

alright thanks much, ill give that a shot. im totally new at modding and retexturing and am trying to learn to do new interesting things with games!

ok well i got the normal map generated but i cant seem to figure out the i believe its specular map? i tried messing with it using crazybump but when i have all the xbm's together or just the dds and dds_n it just looks crazy in game, i duno why im having such difficulty with this :confused:

ok a full run down of what i was trying to do but i guess maybe its just not possible: i was trying to remove all the studs and rings from the blaspemer's set, the dark difficulty act 1 special armor, i used the paint's cloning feature to clone areas of the jacket over the studs and rings and i went ahead and manually did that to each of the 3 files needed for the xbm's but the finished product looks like pieces of the armor are all together invisible leaving behind just strips of black leather in some areas and complete nothingness in areas, it also for some reason changed colors of other parts of the armor which i did not even mess with, and it turned geralts forarms from looking normal to solid black as well. i suppose modding and retexturing may be completely out of my league, ive been reaseaching and doing what i can to learn but there just arent any definitive guides on how to do things like this out there, perhaps ill just go to school for graphics design or some such lol...

What you were doing sounds OK in principle. Take each of the three files in turn, and use cloning to copy from a smooth section to the studded section. Since you're not using Photoshop, how did you get the dds files into a usable format. Did you use the Nvidia compress/decompress tools to turn them into TGA and back into DDS? If not, I suspect that something went wrong at this stage, and that it's now the wrong format of DDS file.

i used crazy bump as i do not have adobe photoshop, i thought i did... but the crazybump does not seem to make a correct normal map or specular map from the original so i tried to manually clone/edit all 3 of the dds files, i duno what ive done wrong either. i just wanted to remove the studds and rings from the blasphemer dark mode act 1 armor but its just not working out in the slightest, i tried a couple of other programs as well too but cannot remember which ones as i uninstalled very quickly after realizing they were not even close to working, i really thought crazybump was working because it seemed to be what i needed but wrong there too. wish there was something i could do but im just stuck. oh yeah ive been using the paint.net program and a dds converter so i can go from xbm to dds to tga and whatnot to change the formats. Edited by KainTheRavager

• 1 year later...

Greetings. Sorry if I dont make myself clear on anything... its just that im in a rush.....

You might want to download the "microsoft sdk tools 2011" in which there is a "DirectX texture editor" that can only be used to view the DDS files. BUT the dds thumbnails get displayed and you are able to convert them (right click 'convert') into: JPG PNG etc... this way you are able to Edit them in Photoshop.

Unless you have the DDS photoshop plugin...

I might pop up again and give you any further instructions or answers... Just try download all that's listed above and let me know!
Good luck.

RN

I Replied again below... Sorry....

\/

\/

\/

\/

Edited by W3NIW3

Oh!! damn I forgot.... There are a vast amout of ways you can turn a DDS into a negative... But if you want to give it a special look, in Photoshop for example, (work it out for yourself for now...) to make armor look good,

1 way is to Add a filter to a selected area or the entire picture at that.
Best filter is Emboss but apply only a 10% to 15% of it... and you'd have to turn down the picture's opacity to 5% or 10%.

You would have to save the DDS as a PNG and apply no compression to it. then you right click and convert to a dds with ... damn I have no more time! just add 11 levels and format to DXT3.

That would give an extuded view as well as an impresively appealing look to it.

But get something WRONG along the line (too long to comment...) and things start to look very glossy...

Bye,

RN

Edited by W3NIW3