Dual Wielding Speed

fisban0

I've seen various opinions on other forums on this topic, but I haven't yet seen it confirmed anywhere. Does dual wielding weapons allow you to attack faster? It seems like most people are saying that they will not be any faster. If that is true the only benifit to dual wielding would be the dual power attack flourish. Does this seem like it would make dual wielding less viable to anyone else?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing dual wielding would probably be better for the back stabbing mage killers or against monsters without blocking. Still, it seems to be more a limitaion due to controllers than a balancing feature. It isn't as if it is that difficult to set up another dedicated button on a keyboard afterall but an xbox controller's realestate is likely packed as is. Stupid consoles... Edited by justwannaddl

There is a perk for the One-Handed skill that allows the player to attack faster; there are two ranks for the perk. That, and the obvious fact that you can attack with both weapons individually or simultaneously. So, naturally, you're attacking TWICE as fast as just wielding one weapon.

Edit: Also, not being able to block while dual-wielding weapons is NOT from a limitation of the controller. At all. Bethesda has said that it was done so that the different options are balanced, so that Two-Handed is just as viable as One-Handed, which would be just as viable as a weapon-shield or two spells or whatever.

Edited by natelovesyou

Also, not being able to block while dual-wielding weapons is NOT from a limitation of the controller. At all. Bethesda has said that it was done so that the different options are balanced, so that Two-Handed is just as viable as One-Handed, which would be just as viable as a weapon-shield or two spells or whatever.

Perhaps, but I would argue that having no defense at all is not balanced; it's stupid. The only two possible ways that can work is if either a) the combat is so easy that simple button mashing can overwhelm enemies, possibly interrupting their attacks, or b) you can cheese your way through fights with dual paralysis enchanted weapons or similar game breaking exploits. Barring those two options, there needs to be some sort of defense, as "hope you trained your Restoration or Alchemy skill" isn't much of a substitute.

Also, not being able to block while dual-wielding weapons is NOT from a limitation of the controller. At all. Bethesda has said that it was done so that the different options are balanced, so that Two-Handed is just as viable as One-Handed, which would be just as viable as a weapon-shield or two spells or whatever.

Perhaps, but I would argue that having no defense at all is not balanced; it's stupid. The only two possible ways that can work is if either a) the combat is so easy that simple button mashing can overwhelm enemies, possibly interrupting their attacks, or b) you can cheese your way through fights with dual paralysis enchanted weapons or similar game breaking exploits. Barring those two options, there needs to be some sort of defense, as "hope you trained your Restoration or Alchemy skill" isn't much of a substitute.

It's balanced, not stupid. There is a balance between all the options...when you choose to dual-wield, you sacrifice the ability to block. If you can't help but complain, then use a shield. If we could dual wield AND block, then it would be an overpowered option and be the best one at that. It's like saying dual-wielding the flamethrower spell is stupid...that's an opinion, and hardly a viable one at that. It's the player's choice, leave it up to them. And leave it up to Bethesda to decide what's balanced, I completely agree with their decision to not be able to block with two weapons. Balance.

This, bethesda is bullshitting when they said they did it for balance reasons. If they wanted to balance it they could simply make it you needed to have steep perk requirements or dual wielding did less damage. They only possible logical reason I can see that dual wield woudn't have block is console limitations.

edit: For the post above me, not being able to parry when dual wielding in a single player rpg IS stupid.

Edited by falloutreign

Then don't dual wield. It's really easy. Or, complain...also an option. Or mod it out and become OP...it's a single player game, what do I care?