Graphics Card cut image display to monitor

Hiya all, I'm having a strange problem with my system. Periodically my monitor cuts out and displays the message 'no signal' or 'signal out of range', when this occurs my graphics card's fan goes into overdrive as does the system fan; the game is still running and the sound continues normally over the speakers. Also, the system seems to continue working normally too for the rest as I can hear the familiar sounds of data being accessed by the drives etc. I've tried switching the monitor off and then back on, but it still can't get an image. I have to hold down the power button(I have no soft off/reset enabled because I have kids) and reboot. Once rebooted everything is fine as if nothing happened, apart from the Windows 7 message and login mode choice (safe mode etc etc). Also, it only does this when playing Oblivion, Fallout3, New Vegas and Divinity 2 DKS, but runs fine during DAO, or at least it hasn't done it yet. So here's where I am and what I've attempted so far: checked connectors, no issue; I've tried running Oblivion in a window so I can monitor the temperature of my card with a sidebar gadget -- it never hits above 70c, but still the screen cuts out without warning; I've run Fur Mark for 10 minutes, the card averages at 87c and the monitor doesn't cut out during; Lowered all visual settings in Oblivion to minimum - full screen the monitor cuts out after 15 minutes (exactly) in a window, randomly; I've cleaned the entire inside of my tower, removed all fans and cleaned, thoroughly blown out the PSU, cleaned all grill, and Heatsinks, it still cuts out; uninstalled my graphics drivers, reinstalled, updated, no change; inspected mobo for leaky and/or blown caps, none; switched my card for another (8800GT); same issue -- the card get a lot hotter, much faster, but the monitor cuts out in the same way, pretty much randomly at any point after 10 minutes. Now, I'm flummoxed. I have no idea what can be causing the problem. I'll describe my airflow setup: Front, 2x 12cm fans drawing air in. Rear, 1x 8cm fan exhaust. Top/rear, 1x 12cm expelling heat. Opposite CPU, 1x 8cm fan expelling. Opposite Graphics card, 1x 8cm fan expelling. When idle my card runs at 39c and hits on occasion (when watching vids and playing flash games etc) 54c...

My system specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Duo 3.2GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz

Graphics: Nvidia GTS250 (1GB edition)

PSU: Arctic Power 650W

Thanks to any/everyone in advance.

Edited by alkaloid27

Doesn't sound like an overheating issue to me.

Have you tried a new D-SUB or DVI connector for the monitor? Could be possible that the connection is dying or not working properly...especially if you tried a new GPU. Otherwise, it could be possible that the motherboard's PCI-E slot could be going bad...it's rare but it does happen.

Doesn't sound like an overheating issue to me.

Have you tried a new D-SUB or DVI connector for the monitor? Could be possible that the connection is dying or not working properly...especially if you tried a new GPU. Otherwise, it could be possible that the motherboard's PCI-E slot could be going bad...it's rare but it does happen.

Thanks for the reply. I did try different cables. Usually I run my image over the DVI, so I switched it to the VGA connector -- exactly the same result! I also thought it may be the slot, so I lowered the frequency to 90 with no difference. I've since unplugged everything else from the PSU and left the primary drive and the card connected. It's been running fine for the last hour and the monitor blinks off to 'no signal', but at least it comes back.