Perk Theorycrafting!

DrKvothe

For my first play through, I want to play a light armored duel wielding crafter. Essentially, smithing and enchanting will provide large boosts to dps and survivability. Basically I'll take the skills directly up the middle in enchanting, the left path of smithing to dragon armor, and just armsman and dual flurry in one-handed. Other points will be mixed through sneak, lockpicking, archery, and maybe some light armor skills.

How are y'all planning to spend your perks?

Specializing in dual wielding, swords, Destruction(lightning) and Restoration. Maybe Alteration and for sure a lot of Smithing and Enchanting (crafting legendary swords? HELL YEAH!)

Basically, I'll go Sith all over SKyrim :D

I like the way how everyone is going to make dual sword wielding super assassin.

After release I want to hear how many of them failed because of no blocking.

After you get that speed boost to dual wield it might be OP tough.

Blocking wasn't required to be viable in Oblivion or Morrowind, so I doubt it'll be much different in Skyrim. Learning how to move in combat to avoid your enemies attacks > blocking. However, in previous games you didnt have a lot of fights against enormous monsters. Fights against multiple weaker monsters were much more common. So dragons might change things a bit.But just because you're focused on DW doesn't mean you can't throw on a shield. The only wasted perks are the two points to make DW 40% faster. You could DW 99% of the time and just throw on a shield for dragons. It might even be worth investing in elemental protection and shield wall in the Block perk tree.

Going to make an evil Argonian sneaky super-mage. Here's what I've got. (Perk tree SPOILERS ahead, for those who haven't looked at the trees posted above and want to avoid info on them.)

First of all going Argonian just because I like that look for an evil character, and I'm going to play him all the way to the end. I have a few skills that are more for fun than focused cohesion, as I'll be powerful at that level no matter what, so some of the trees I just go 1/5 at the start rather than 5/5 to get the more active perks higher up the tree. So here's assuming I max all skills and get a full 70 perk points:

Destruction - 15 - No Rune Mastery or Disintegrate (can't throw a pile of ashes off a mountain :evilface:).

Illusion - 9 - Everything but the 50% magicka perks since I won't be casting it like I will destruction.

Conjuration - 8 - Straight summons and no magicka again for the same reason.

Speech - 2 - Bribe guards, 'nuff said.

Restoration - 9 - This is where I pick up my magicka regen and more powerful heals, no Avoid Death, Ward Absorb, Necromage, or Respite.

Enchanting - 4 - Straight from Enchanter to Extra Effect, to max skill/stat buffs on armor etc.

Pickpocket - 4 - To pick up Extra Pockets and Poisoned.

Archery - 4 - One in Overdraw and then straight to Steady Hand, what can I say, slow-mo head shots are just awesome.

Sneak - 9 - Pick up the whole tree with one point in each, just to make stealing and being an all-around criminal a little easier.

That brings me to 64, so I have six more points to throw somewhere. Was thinking maybe some into lock picking but I don't know that I'll need most of those if I use my high Sneak in combination with good timing. Would definitely make things easier with some in there but the mini-game never bothered me. So, I figure I'll be able to blast the skooma out of enemies and pull out some fun and cruel tricks on all who oppose me with this build, but where should I put my last six points?

Going to make an evil Argonian sneaky super-mage. Here's what I've got. (Perk tree SPOILERS ahead, for those who haven't looked at the trees posted above and want to avoid info on them.)

First of all going Argonian just because I like that look for an evil character, and I'm going to play him all the way to the end. I have a few skills that are more for fun than focused cohesion, as I'll be powerful at that level no matter what, so some of the trees I just go 1/5 at the start rather than 5/5 to get the more active perks higher up the tree. So here's assuming I max all skills and get a full 70 perk points:

Destruction - 15 - No Rune Mastery or Disintegrate (can't throw a pile of ashes off a mountain :evilface:).

Illusion - 9 - Everything but the 50% magicka perks since I won't be casting it like I will destruction.

Conjuration - 8 - Straight summons and no magicka again for the same reason.

Speech - 2 - Bribe guards, 'nuff said.

Restoration - 9 - This is where I pick up my magicka regen and more powerful heals, no Avoid Death, Ward Absorb, Necromage, or Respite.

Enchanting - 4 - Straight from Enchanter to Extra Effect, to max skill/stat buffs on armor etc.

Pickpocket - 4 - To pick up Extra Pockets and Poisoned.

Archery - 4 - One in Overdraw and then straight to Steady Hand, what can I say, slow-mo head shots are just awesome.

Sneak - 9 - Pick up the whole tree with one point in each, just to make stealing and being an all-around criminal a little easier.

That brings me to 64, so I have six more points to throw somewhere. Was thinking maybe some into lock picking but I don't know that I'll need most of those if I use my high Sneak in combination with good timing. Would definitely make things easier with some in there but the mini-game never bothered me. So, I figure I'll be able to blast the skooma out of enemies and pull out some fun and cruel tricks on all who oppose me with this build, but where should I put my last six points?

I thought we stopped getting perks at level 50? I know it's possible to reach 70 if you raise every skill to 100, but...since it's supposed to be really slow, that would suck to have to get everything to 100 just to get your last 20 perks.

I've made three in-depth builds based on this assumption, with the main being "Loki," a bard-like character that focuses on causing mischief:

Illusion - 13 - Everything.

Speech - 9 - Only Haggling 1; everything else.

Pickpocket - 11 - No Poisoned, since I won't be doing any alchemy to make it worth it.

Sneak - 7 - Stealth 1, no bow/dagger perks.

One-Handed - 4 - Armsman 1, Bladesman 3. Just enough stabby-stabs to get by.

Light Armor - 6 - Agile Defender 1, everything else.

What I hope to end up with is something similar to my first Oblivion character: a smooth-talking thief who uses Calm and Frenzy spells to mess with his foes' heads, and goes in for the kill with a short sword when they're softened up. Plus, pickpocketing the swords out of peoples' hands or the clothes off their backs is beyond epic!

Here are the important Perks that I will be using to build my character.

Light Armor -- Unhindered (full speed in light armor) and Wind Walker (50% stamina regeneration)

Two-Handed -- Great Critical Charge (primary single-target attack), Sweep (group combat), and Skullcrusher (armor penetration with maces)

Conjuration -- Mystic Bindings (bound weapons do more damage) and eventually some of the Atronach/Zombie perks

Archery -- Quick Shots (shoot faster) and Critical Shots (chance to do critical damage)

And any remaining points will be spent in Enchanting, Alteration, and Alchemy in whatever manner allows me to get the most Stamina improvements.

The general gist of the build is to have an extremely high stamina pool and regeneration. You then focus mostly on using Great Critical Charge with a Bound 2-handed Mace for some of the highest single-target burst damage possible. The goal is to be able to get off several charges before draining all your stamina: effectively allowing you to burst down any critical enemies. You then can use Sweep on groups of smaller enemies, or kite with your Bound Bow.

The build should not need much in the way of survivability talents as I'll be focusing mostly on avoidance to mitigate damage. Mobility will be the main key to success. However, in the late game I'll have Conjuration pets to help tank damage. Anything that I cannot survive actually going toe-to-toe with, I'll just kite with my Bow.

This build is very similar to my Conjuration speed Warrior/Archer I had in Morrowind. I'm excited because this style was horrible in Oblivion and made me very sad.

The below are listed in order of importance to my character build, the top of the list taking highest priority.

Initially I would be focusing on my weapons of choice: Dual axes, so I would need to get over the course of play:

Armsman (upping it until it is 5 at every chance I get)

Dual Flurry (upping it at every chance I get, but favoring previous listed perks, this will continue for all multi-rank perks)

Hack and Slash

Dual Savagery (as soon as I can get it)

Fighting Stance

Savage Strike

Critical Charge

Paralyzing Strike

That is 15 perks, so next I would focus on my armor of choice: Light armor

Agile Defender 1-5

Custom Fit

Unhindered

Wind Walker

Matching Set

Deft Movement

That is a total of 25 perks now, so I would then focus on my next skill of choice: Smithing

Steel Smithing

Dwarven Smithing

Elven Smithing

Orcish Smithing

Advanced Armors

Arcane Blacksmith

Glass Smithing

Ebony Smithing

Daedric Smithing

Dragon Armor

That is 35 total perks, so next would be Enchanting

Enchanter 1-5

Soul Squeezer

Fire Enchanter

Frost Enchanter

Soul Siphon

Storm Enchanter

Insightful Enchanter

Corpus Enchanter

Extra Effect

That is 48 in total at this point, so next I would get:

Novice Restoration

Respite

In the end I would like to end up with light Dragon armor, and two war axes one with fire and shock, the other with ice and shock. My armor would be enchanted to fortify my health and stamina, and my helm would be enchanted to increase my one handed skill. I would utilize the restoration magic to allow me to continue fighting in extremely tough situations. So yeah, that is about it lol.