Taxation

marharth

Maybe, you could look at it that way if you choose. But it is by my consent. That's the important part.

Definition of tax.

"A compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits or added to the cost of..."

"Voluntary taxation" is a contradiction.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it is if you define it as such.

Sales tax is voluntary. If that fact makes it not a tax then the whole topic is sort of moot, isn't it.

Yes, buying essential items such as food and clothing is voluntary, so sales tax is voluntary.

Worst logic I have ever heard, and I watched the OJ Simpson trial.

Just don't apply the sales tax to essential items like food and clothing. Do I have to explain everything to you?

In most states it IS applied to essential items like food and clothing. Do I have to explain reality to you?

I am not the only one who defines it as such, so does everyone else in the entire world. That is the definition in dictionaries.

Sales tax is not voluntary anymore then income tax is. You have to make a steady income to buy things. You have to pay the sales tax on almost everything you buy or you would have to go live in the woods for yourself. Same thing as the income tax. If you don't want to get a income tax there is another option, its just not as good as keeping a steady income.

I am not the only one who defines it as such, so does everyone else in the entire world. That is the definition in dictionaries.

Sales tax is not voluntary anymore then income tax is. You have to make a steady income to buy things. You have to pay the sales tax on almost everything you buy or you would have to go live in the woods for yourself. Same thing as the income tax. If you don't want to get a income tax there is another option, its just not as good as keeping a steady income.

I choose to pay sales tax or not to, by choosing to buy an item or not to buy it. This is a moral tax, in that it is my choice pay or not to pay.

If this makes it not a tax in your view, so be it, but I ask what your point was in starting this thread, if you are going to define the terms in such a way that discussion of them is impossible outside of your pre-settled "correct" answer.

Who's talking about reality?

We are talking about whether taxation is morally wrong or not.

You are. You stated that sales tax is voluntary, which is a conclusive observation of fact. You did not state it COULD or MIGHT be voluntary if we change what sales tax is applied to.

Don't deflect blame to me for your own inability to accurately convey your thoughts in a manner that doesn't cause confusion.

I choose to pay sales tax or not to, by choosing to buy an item or not to buy it. This is a moral tax, in that it is my choice pay or not to pay.

Again, I pay sales tax on food and clothing. Can I choose not to walk naked in the cold? Can I choose not to eat? There isn't comprehensive public transportation where I live. I must drive a car to and from places. I pay a price for gasoline which includes something like a 30% upmark to account for taxes. Can I choose not to pay these too by not buying gas and being unable to support myself because I can't go to work? Your distinction is moronic at worst and naive at best.

Edited by lukertin