UI overhaul concepts

headbomb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the HUD is better left alone for now.. it looks like Bethesda learned a thing or 2 from previous HUD mods, and adopted the "there when you need it, invisible when you don't" philosophy. That's good enough for me.

All the rest is a tragic mess: Inventory, spell management... I mean, come on, the first Legend of Zelda had better inventory management than that. Prospective UI modders really need to do a clean slate with that UI and come up with something fresh, especially something that minimizes the amount of scrolling one has to do.

Also bring back from previous games / mods:

- Hotkeys to equip specific spell / items combinations.

- Sorted containers

- Batch storing, retrieving, sorting

In a game where the player is encouraged to collect and hoard all kinds of crafting components, inventory management needs all the help it can get!

I think the HUD is better left alone for now.. it looks like Bethesda learned a thing or 2 from previous HUD mods, and adopted the "there when you need it, invisible when you don't" philosophy. That's good enough for me.

All the rest is a tragic mess: Inventory, spell management... I mean, come on, the first Legend of Zelda had better inventory management than that. Prospective UI modders really need to do a clean slate with that UI and come up with something fresh, especially something that minimizes the amount of scrolling one has to do.

Also bring back from previous games / mods:

- Hotkeys to equip specific spell / items combinations.

- Sorted containers

- Batch storing, retrieving, sorting

In a game where the player is encouraged to collect and hoard all kinds of crafting components, inventory management needs all the help it can get!

I agree, the minimalist look is great.

I think a big improvement would be stealing RTS style L/R hand combo selection. Pick a spell and a shield, hit ctrl-shift 1 and then whenever you hit shift 1 from then on, that combo comes up. Very simple and intuitive, and you don't need to leave the main screen.

EDIT: Talked to my room mated and he came up with a good point. Basically someone needs to allow key confirmation on the stupid mouse-only "do you want to do this? yes/no" options.

You can already press Y or N to confirm. :)

@ Headbomb really like your ideas! Great stuff dude. :)

What i really miss in the Vanilla UI is more sorting options for Flasks, Weapon types, armor types etc.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2551/skyrimui.jpg

personally i would prefer a Diablo3 or WOW inventory layout.