What are the benefits of a 64bit DX11 Skyrim?

LordNyron

Eveyone is talking about how mod theft is gonna ruin the modding scene, or all the mods will need to be updated for Special Edition, etc. So I wanted to steer the coversation in a bit of a different direction. I'm tech savvy to some extent, but aside from removing the mod and VRAM cap, and adding new tech through DX11 support, I don't what else 64bit and DX11 mean for Skyrim and, to be more specific, what it means for the potential of Skyrim mods. So I'm hoping the modding community can enlighten me as to what this upgrade makes possible that wasn't possible before.

Because Skyrim was 32bit, it could only use 3.1 gigs of RAM. 64bit will not only make the game more stable but allow us to use much more ram. I think (and hope) this means we can run as many scripts as our PCs can handle. There are several mods I can't use because I add lots of NPCs to my game and mods that had 'cloaking scripts' for each NPC (such as Footprints, Wet and Cold, ETC.) would cause script lag or even crash my game. 64bit could mean not only that we could run many more script based mods but more advance mods would be possible.

One of the biggest benefits is that it will let you make your game look like what ENB + modded games have looked like for years. Theoretically, the graphics should as be roughly as good as fallout 4 is by default and unmodded because they're bringing it up to par with the tech that game uses by default, which honestly isn't that amazing. The biggest issue will be things like god rays, which everyone knows absolutely murder performance on this engine from Fallout 4.

I think (and hope) this means we can run as many scripts as our PCs can handle.

Unfortunately 64bit won't do it. The scripting has nothing really to do with memory RAM, it never takes any significant amount of memory to run scripts en mass. It's Papyrus' fault here. The game could be 128bit for all that matter, Papyrus is the one working on the script processing; everything script related - running, lagging, stopping, crashing etc. is all done via the Papyrus scripting language not your PC's physical memory.

The language would need to be rewritten to allow a more smoother scripting activity at all times, something this remaster most likely won't touch by any means. Fallout 4's scripting is pretty much the same thing like in Skyrim, so don't think anything significant can happen. We'll always have to moderate scripting activity in the current engine.

64bit will only prevent crashing via reaching the ever so dreadful 4GB limit that any 32bit executable has to deal with. Which means ENBoost's alternative solution to run game's textures into its own exe, the main culprits why the cap is often reached, will no longer be needed.

I am skeptical about the remaster myself as we PC players gain no benefit from the graphics improvement given half the ENBs (that all run on dx9) on this site look better than anything Bethesda would like to develop for their future games, no small thanks to console hardware limitations. Though the 64bit support surely is the best thing they could change into, this one single feature is what PC absolutely needs and the only one really useful for one who modded the game like crazy. More graphic whorish with dx11 I guess it's okay if you really spend this game just to look at the scenery and improve it over and over.

Edited by v1p3r01