Spears, Crossbows, Throwing

serracruz

I have some ideas on how this could be done, in case I don't end up doing it myself:

Instead of adding a new skill tree for spears, apply the relevant perks from one handed and two handed skill trees to spears/staves/polearms, spears probably work well with sword/great sword related perks, staffs with mace/war hammer weapon perks, and polearms with war axes/great axes perks.

The biggest change with spears/polearms/staves is the ability to switch from One handed to Two handed use, thus allowing players to use a shield or spell in the other hand and more reach and sweeping/knockdown effects with two hands. This change should also be applied to one handed/two handed weapons...war axes, maces, swords would be more effective damage-wise and quicker than the standard two handed weapons; great swords/great axes/war hammers would be less effective speed-wise and thus deal less damage (but still more than a standard one handed weapon would give). A weapon handling perk (added where it makes sense, like in the new Throwing Skill Tree) would negate the caveats of switching from one handed to two handed and vice versa.

Spears/Staffs/Polearms will need new animations for basic and power attacks, blocking, throwing, and sweeping/knockdown (staves are best for these last to abilities).

Now a new skill does need to be added, Throwing, with it's own skill tree and perks to go with it. Probably going to need a new button or some way to use existing buttons to throw what you have in either hand or two hands. (For ease of use, spears and javelins are the mechanically but the latter probably does more damage if thrown than a spear would)

Your thoughts?

Edited by serracruz

• 2 weeks later...
Halberds (my fav polearm), pikes (drools) a must have, and some throwing axes and maybe small throwing hammers that can knock out a person. maybe just maybe a Holy Hand grenade, there is this bunny i'd like to kill, and use it's hide to make some bunny slippers so i can sit in my chair infront of the fire pit sipping hot mead after a long day of killing