Open the game-Install-Play-Badly Optimized game-Goodbye 60 dollars..

fasty1

As long as their knowledge on optimizing the game for PC is better than their knowledge of animation, then I think we'll be okay. ;]

How does this look like a steam thread? Seems to be mare of a bethesda/game performance thread. 2 things that are unaffected by steam.

Unless you are referring to a thread you would find on the steam forums. Then i wouldnt know. I dont really spend any time there

Edited by MrDirty

Of course it's badly optimized. 6 GB of compressed data - can you imagine uncompressing it all on the fly? Streaming can do wonders these days, but I doubt it's *that* incredible, especially because of Bethesda's history of bugs and broken games.

Not that Skyrim will be bad, of course. I just hope that it's playable on my 5400 RPM HDD, until I can get a high-end SSD, and I hope that there's no game-breaking, save-erasing bugs, a la Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Of course it's badly optimized. 6 GB of compressed data - can you imagine uncompressing it all on the fly?

I don't think it would be that hard to decompress (which is the proper term, by the way) several megabytes at a time.

For example: I downloaded a patch for The Witcher in .zip format, weighing in at 368MB, and it decompressed in less than 20 seconds. It's just a matter of an optimized PC.

As for decompressing that much data, I guarantee you that Skyrim uses a lot of the same textures and models for various objects around Skyrim. So once a texture/model is loaded into memory, it will be accessed there at a later time when the same resource is needed. And if a new resource is needed from the files, it won't take long to decompress an 8MB texture/model. It's not like it needs to decompress all that 6GB data at once, is it?

Of course it's badly optimized. 6 GB of compressed data - can you imagine uncompressing it all on the fly?

I don't think it would be that hard to decompress (which is the proper term, by the way) several megabytes at a time.

For example: I downloaded a patch for The Witcher in .zip format, weighing in at 368MB, and it decompressed in less than 20 seconds. It's just a matter of an optimized PC.

As for decompressing that much data, I guarantee you that Skyrim uses a lot of the same textures and models for various objects around Skyrim. So once a texture/model is loaded into memory, it will be accessed there at a later time when the same resource is needed. And if a new resource is needed from the files, it won't take long to decompress an 8MB texture/model. It's not like it needs to decompress all that 6GB data at once, is it?

True, I'd forgotten about recycling assets.

How does this look like a steam thread? Seems to be mare of a bethesda/game performance thread. 2 things that are unaffected by steam.

Unless you are referring to a thread you would find on the steam forums. Then i wouldnt know. I dont really spend any time there

steam forums complain about optimization on EVERY and call everything a port even PC games like witcher 2 which still isnt on consoles.

game isnt out, optimization sucks. sounds like a steam forum topic. from my experience oblivion, fo3 and FNV ran well. well FNV crashed offen when the damn dead money patch came but it got fixed.

Edited by hector530

let me put it this way, if my game crashes I'll let you know because I have my copy, and I only have about 5 1/2 hours left until I will be able to play it :dance:

I spent some time building my computer with well chosen parts, if my pc has problems running it, then I suspect all of you will.

Windows 7X64 - all current updates installed

Videocard: MSI GTX580 1536MB twin frozr II O/C -water cooled, full coverage waterblock - running current Nvidia drivers 285.62

CPU: Intel i7 2600K - water cooled-

Ram: 8Gb Kingston Hyper-X

Soundcard: creative X-Fi Titanium - with Klipsch 5.1 580w sound system

Hard drives - primary: western digital velociRaptor 150Gb - Secondary hard drives - Western digital 2TB X3 - I added an extra one.

Edited by shadow_scale9180

let me put it this way, if my game crashes I'll let you know because I have my copy, and I only have about 5 1/2 hours left until I will be able to play it :dance:

Me toooo! :dance:

but i have to wait for preloading to finish :ohdear:

Edited by TheMysteriousTraveler