Literally, what is the point of SSE

Cowgoesmoo3

If I could weigh in here, It is going to be a separate game so no one said anyone had to upgrade on PC. I feel most people will just stay with the original than use the new one.

My concurring opinion.

Not sure what Bethesda was thinking.

Also, am I right to assume they didn't even consider fixing bugs in SSE? Because that would be dumb.

I really don't see the point. Our ENB and 4K mods are BETTER than this SSE. Our modders do better work and make better textures...

ENB will not match up to a fully integrated and applied directx 11 engine update. ENB will also likely be ported to SSE, like it was for Fallout 4 (and all the other games Boris adds it too as they come out)

4k resolution textures are also a bit overkill, it would be fairly hard to spot a difference between 4 and 2k textures unless you stared for the better part of a minute and got really close to your screen. Not something you are really going to notice in-game.

Some people might decry this, but they fail to understand that not all textures are equal, as the author of the texture is the biggest factor, not the resolution. There are plenty of terrible 4k texture mods easily beaten by 1k and 2k textures from more skilled authors. Just upgrading something to 4k takes less than a minute and will yield no visual improvement but create several times the footprint on your memory. Tens of hours of work are required to make it look better than it did before, a higher resolution is simply a larger canvas, and after a certain point size stops mattering for potential visual improvement but can be catastrophic via creating large memory requirements that either software, hardware or both will fail to meet/allow.

Edited by Darthsith

I really don't see the point. Our ENB and 4K mods are BETTER than this SSE. Our modders do better work and make better textures...

ENB will not match up to a fully integrated and applied directx 11 engine update. ENB will also likely be ported to SSE, like it was for Fallout 4 (and all the other games Boris adds it too as they come out)

4k resolution textures are also a bit overkill, it would be fairly hard to spot a difference between 4 and 2k textures unless you stared for the better part of a minute and got really close to your screen. Not something you are really going to notice in-game.

Some people might decry this, but they fail to understand that not all textures are equal, as the author of the texture is the biggest factor, not the resolution. There are plenty of terrible 4k texture mods easily beaten by 1k and 2k textures from more skilled authors. Just upgrading something to 4k takes less than a minute and will yield no visual improvement but create several times the footprint on your memory. Tens of hours of work are required to make it look better than it did before, a higher resolution is simply a larger canvas, and after a certain point size stops mattering for potential visual improvement but can be catastrophic via creating large memory requirements that either software, hardware or both will fail to meet/allow.

I'm generally quoting "4K" to emphasize that if you want good graphics, there's no reason to switch over to SSE in particular. The graphics in both SSE and ours are phenomenal.

Remember hitting skyrim's hard 3.8gb memory limit and uninstalling all those Overhaul mods? Well Imagine running the biggest mods your machine can handle without a memory cap of 3.8 gb... Honestly this should have came sooner.

The only thing I could hope for is Papyrus and CK are updated to FO4 CK offerings.

Dynamic LinkedRefs created in the game on the fly at runtime.
Add keywords to objects dynamically in the game on the fly at runtime.
Spoof the data stacked on an alias onto any location or object without putting the object/location into the alias in the game on the fly at runtime.
Aliases can have linked refs.
Grouped references, structs and damn so many useful functions.
Add in an updated SKSE and it would make skyrim mods a whole new ball game.

If that happens I might even rewrite a few of my own personal mods for skyrim and actually share them :)

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

• 4 months later...

If that happens I might even rewrite a few of my own personal mods for skyrim and actually share them :smile:

like, an actual released version of [REDACTED]! if that's the case than I hope it does have what you want!

• 9 months later...

I know this is a old post but I want to say something as a player....
I have played oldrim for years from one PC to the next. I didn't want to make the move to SSE and it didn't matter
that it was free for me.
But one day I decided to install it....FYI Asus with GTX 765m is what I was playing oldrim on.
No matter what oldrim was not a stable game so please don't tell me otherwise....
Since making the move to SSE sure my PC runs a little hotter than it did for oldrim but other than mod issues
I have not had one crash other than what was my fault with something I installed.
Yes Bethesda pulled some crap and this was clearly a way of them to try and cash-in on mods,they have wanted to do that since Oblivion.
But on the whole....as a player for many years of modded Skyrim....SSE is better by far and there is no way around that.
It plays smoother on my PC and I can just keep going on and on about all the things that's better.
So many just don't want to change and I get that.....And that's fine.
But at the end of the day...SSE is better out the gate, but it would be nice if some would stop dismissing it and see that even without SKSE its thriving,
That wouldn't happen if SSE was crap.
I know a lot of hard work went into mods for oldrim...I downloaded some amazing stuff....but in life,one has to learn when to let go, and as new computers are released, they won't be downloading oldrim...it will be SSE.
Think about it and stop being babies about porting or making mods for it.
Thank you