Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Zolexus, you should alter the OP because for some like me it can be reproduced. It only happens when I try to view the map or ride a horse.

Sounds like a completely different issue like 99% of the people of this thread have mate. This is about a crash that happens randomly

It's still the black screen crash and it has been mentioned by some in this thread that it only happens when viewing the map.

That sounds more like a corrupted file then anything else.

Re-installing is your best guess.

Already tried, along with every other "fix" that has been mentioned. I'm not alone, many people on many forums have the same problem, and as mentioned including some who have posted in this very topic.

I did read one more fix that I haven't tried but will soon, and that's to launch the game on it's own without steam, directly from the .exe file. Here's hoping, otherwise I'll just have to pray the issue is addressed in the patch.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zolexus, you should alter the OP because for some like me it can be reproduced. It only happens when I try to view the map or ride a horse.

Sounds like a completely different issue like 99% of the people of this thread have mate. This is about a crash that happens randomly

It's still the black screen crash and it has been mentioned by some in this thread that it only happens when viewing the map.

That sounds more like a corrupted file then anything else.

Re-installing is your best guess.

Already tried, along with every other "fix" that has been mentioned. I'm not alone, many people on many forums have the same problem, and as mentioned including some who have posted in this very topic.

I did read one more fix that I haven't tried but will soon, and that's to launch the game on it's own without steam, directly from the .exe file. Here's hoping, otherwise I'll just have to pray the issue is addressed in the patch.

Useless. If pirate version doesnt work, steam is out of the question

Just thought I would let everyone that is having the PC shutdown / black screen issue that there is a solution.

I had the same problem from launch, play for around 5 to 15 minutes, and it would cause my entire PC to shut down, no heat issues, no driver conflicts, no hardware problems.

I managed to stumble across this fix:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1257882-patch-1-unofficial-bugfix/

I'm happy to report that I have been playing ( for several hours I might add... ) for the last three days, with no interruptions, no crashes, no nothing.

It's really simple to use. You have to download the .dll files that are on the website, as well as the patch, extract them using WinRAR or something similar and place them all into the folder where your Skyrim executable is located.

On the website the guy talks about how there are flat out issues with Skyrim and some hardware that is out there. For reference, this is my machine specs, so you all know I shouldn't have had any issues with this game.

Gigabyte z68 motherboard

intel i5-2600k

12gb G.Skill Ripsaw DDR3

GTX 560-Ti nvidia

v10 Cooler Master heatsink

1000w Ultra PSU

Just thought I would let everyone that is having the PC shutdown / black screen issue that there is a solution.

I had the same problem from launch, play for around 5 to 15 minutes, and it would cause my entire PC to shut down, no heat issues, no driver conflicts, no hardware problems.

I managed to stumble across this fix:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1257882-patch-1-unofficial-bugfix/

I'm happy to report that I have been playing ( for several hours I might add... ) for the last three days, with no interruptions, no crashes, no nothing.

It's really simple to use. You have to download the .dll files that are on the website, as well as the patch, extract them using WinRAR or something similar and place them all into the folder where your Skyrim executable is located.

On the website the guy talks about how there are flat out issues with Skyrim and some hardware that is out there. For reference, this is my machine specs, so you all know I shouldn't have had any issues with this game.

Gigabyte z68 motherboard

intel i5-2600k

12gb G.Skill Ripsaw DDR3

GTX 560-Ti nvidia

v10 Cooler Master heatsink

1000w Ultra PSU

This has already been mentioned, and has not worked for people. Read the damn forum dude.

EDIT: Launching from the .exe doesn't work because it's not a Steam problem. It's the GAME. How many times does someone have to say it? holy s***.

Edited by Eneishi

Here is how I solved the Monitor - No signal and then crashing computer problem:

1 - I uninstalled Catalsyt Control Center

2 - I opened Device Manager then uninstalled my ati 6950 driver, verison 11.11

3 - Without restaring my computer, I installed old 11.9 ati driver. (You can get the old driver from their official site.)

4 - Restarted my computer, just in case.

5 - When it is done, I entered the game and continued from where I left.

I do not know if someone suggested that solution but I read 20-30 pages of this topic and never saw one. I realized this may solve the problem 'cause the game was letting me play whole day with full ultra setting, everything clieked, then suddenly after 20 hours of play (!!!) it crashed and Wİn gave me a driver update problem... And if windows says something, you can solve the problem by doing the excact the opposite :P

Good luck!

Byw, I am using Win7 - 64 bit.

12 gb ram

1 gb Ati Radeon HD 6950

i7 920 Intel Processor

This has already been mentioned, and has not worked for people. Read the damn forum dude.

EDIT: Launching from the .exe doesn't work because it's not a Steam problem. It's the GAME. How many times does someone have to say it? holy s***.

1st of all, some people claim to have success launching straight from the exe or using the unofficial patch, so you shouldn't outright dismiss them. (though I agree it probably won't work for most)

2nd, I don't think it's fair to keep telling people to read through over 400 posts, not everyone has been following the topic and most people don't want to read through that much text. Perhaps a new topic needs to be started or the OP elaborated on better.

I have also suffered from these sudden crashes, sometimes it crashes straight to desktop, sometimes just that black screen "no signal" and it usually restores by itself so i don't have to reboot.

Sometimes i locks so badly i have to reboot though.

I really haven't tried anything, i took all AA-settigs off and all others are full (ultra / high). Game runs 50-60 fps and GPU at 65 celsius. So no heat problems here. Altough the game seems to stress my GPU more even than crysis 2?

My specs are,

Intel i7 950 CPU

2x MSi GTX 460 Hawx

SoundBlaster Titanium HD

Asus Sabertooth X58 mobo

750W corsair powersupply.

ALL STOCK. No overclocks here.

I've never had any problems with any game with my pc before skyrim. No black screens, no crashing. But now im having even blue screens sometime.

Maybe the latest win 7 update did something?

I've tested my rams, gpu stresstest with furmark, no problems.

I really, really hope bethesda can come up with a fix, because this is frustrating.

Oh, and PLEASE fix the quest bugs too...almost *ucked up my game today. Thank god i had a savegame before i accepted a quest.

and sorry about my english. English is not my native language.

I think I may have found it. Try it and see if it works for any you, and if it doesn't, Direct 10 or 11 is free to obtain again anyway:

Uninstall DirectX, then install DirectX 9. I think the game running under DirectX10 is causing the crash.

Again, this is a maybe, and I'm not 100% that this will work, but it's worth a try, I guess. If someone posted this here already, tell me and I'll remove this post.

Will try, thank you.

I don't know why this would be the case, but I'm desperate enough to try anything by now.

Anyway, hook me up, how'd you come to that conclusion?

My friend came over for our daily dose of co-op, bring his newly acquired Saint's Row The Third. We played Whored Mode via LAN, when his computer did a complete crash. I asked him how it happened, and he said that the game does that all the time. I warned him that that was extremely dangerous, so I told him not to run it in DX11 mode, instead use the DX9 exe, and we played til we got hungry. He then proceeded to say Skyrim was causing the same problem. I then remembered that Skyrim has a DX10 folder, so I wondered if the problem was related to the fact that they are ports. What's common in Skyrim and Saint's Row is consoles are DX9, while PCs are DX11, so I wondered if the fact that they are ports is what's causing the problem. I tried it on my test computer and it worked. I then told 2 of my friends, and they also said it worked for them.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but at least this solution won't damage your computer or anything. Worst case, you lose some graphics details.

These are my Skyrim options. Since I disabled AA I've been playing around 25 hours without a single crash. Played 10 hours in a row yesterday = no problems. I guess that fixed it.

The resolution is maxed, I just have a small monitor.

View distance is all maxed.

My specs:

Intel i5 2500k

Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0

ATI HD6950

Win 7 64bit

8GB OCZ RAM

Edited by FlexySanders