Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

@Mshai

i tried this the other day to see if anything changed. something did indeed change! my game started crashing sooner than last time. i'm glad it works for some and i'm glad that the various fixes that some people have stumbled across have worked for them, too. i feel that this issue goes much deeper than a simple fix, though. the QA testing probably didn't play for the amount of time that some of us did (40 - 60 hours for some, 80 - 100 hours for others and even more in some cases) to see if anything broke. i just hope that this patch addresses the issue and we can continue to enjoy the game instead of becoming frustrated at it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This problem is being brought up more and more on the Bethesda forums, and for most people it happened the same way as mine. Game starts out great, crashes here and there, then progressively gets worse and worse to the point of unplayable. For many it takes 40-60 hours or even more of playtime before the crashes start. How in the hell did Bethesda let this slip through the cracks?

Nope...i tried an "unofficial" version and there is the same problem.

@ Jochenator:

Ill try the "i" instead of "1" tomorrow or Sunday and i like your idea about collecting all system infornation of affected users.

Because i am covinced there must me any logical pattern in our hardware and software combination that explains this crappy s*** crashes!

So ill start (hopfully including all necessary information):

(If you dont know the exact specifications of your hardware you can use EVEREST)

(In case you overclock your hardware please add the value behind like at my CPU)

CPU: Intel E4300 1800Mhz @ 3233Mhz

RAM: 4x 1GB Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4 (DDR2-800)

BOARD: Asus P5Q Turbo

GRAPH: XFX Radeon HD 4870 - 1024MB

PSU: Xilence 550W

I hope i didnt forget anything important. In case please tell me...otherwise just copy and fill in your hardware.

FYI: I am doing this not for fun but i am really afraid Bethesda wont fix our problem with the next patch...

Edited by leukozyt

Been following this thread for a while, having the same issue as pretty much everyone here. white/black screen with audio hang followed by the need for a hard boot.

The audio fix, turning it to 16 bit and 41khz works for about 20 minutes to an hour before it crashes, so I'm inclined towards it being a realtek issue like with bad company 2, in which I got an identical crash, which was never fixed.

I'm skeptical of any patch fixing the issue, since the specs range is so diverse and the crash is so vague.

Anyway, specs:

Athlon 4200+ X2

2GB of PC 6400 corsair CMX2

MSI K9n platinum mobo

Radeon HD 4870

On board realtek HD audio.

Running windows 7 X86

She's old, but runs skyrim fine on lower settings, nary a stutter until the crash.

I'm planning a PC-upgrade for the january sales, so I'm hopeful that will fix it. gonna try a clean install of windows too at some point soon, just to see.

EDIT: I tried the pirate version too, to see whether it was a steam error, but the same happened. The problem with claiming that pirates don't have the issue is that pirates aren't going to report said issues. Tried multiple cracks as well, just to make absolutely sure.

Edited by philjwill

For me it was only around 4-6 hours before it started crashing. Then after the 18mb update I was able to play for another 4-6 hours before crashing again.

I have the "Black screen nothing happens" type of crash...occurs anywhere from 2 mins to 30 mins.

Tried the Afterburner fix and it helped push my last session to a whole 45 mins!!.......then the same crash.

I'll check back on here periodically for more solutions, but looks like my social life will be able to survive until the next patch.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

8 GB GSkill Sniper RAM

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 AMD 890GX

HIS Radeon 6870 Iceq X Turbo X

Win 7 64-bit

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt

I have tried everything suggested in this and other forums and I still get the following problems:

- Crash to Desktop (no black screen)

- Missing textures (and that aweful lilac colour instead)

- See through floors

I am running:

Intel Core i7 930 3.6Ghz

Windows 7 64bit

6 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5800

1000 watts

I still haven't figured out how to fix this.

Andrew

I have tried everything suggested in this and other forums and I still get the following problems:

- Crash to Desktop (no black screen)

- Missing textures (and that aweful lilac colour instead)

- See through floors

I am running:

Intel Core i7 930 3.6Ghz

Windows 7 64bit

6 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5800

1000 watts

I still haven't figured out how to fix this.

Andrew

BEFORE YOU POST, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ISN'T A CRASH TO DESKTOP (CTD) ISSUE. Please post your problems and solutions revolving around CTDs in other topics.

I get black screen anywhere from 10-30minutes of playing. This same problem also happens on Battlefield 3. Anyways here is my PC specs.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz

G.Skill Ripjaws series 4GB DDR3 1333

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard

HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 (current drivers)

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply

I installed the game on my girlfriends laptop a few days ago and it hasn't crashed yet. She has HP dv7-6135dx if you want to look up specs on that.

I had this problem from the very begging. Crashed after creating mah character. But i still can play like... 10 hours straight. Its more of a question "where" then "how long" for me.

I can run for hours in dungeons. Never had a crash there. NEVER! But in the open its like a freakin crashfest.

So its like playing from one indoor location to the other. Trying every fix there is in between, quicksaving every 2 steps, crashing, trying another fix and so on.

And yet not every open area is like that. Who the hell knows...

Also: Im bored, my friend has PC which only minor differs from mine and he havent got such sort of problems. So f*ck it, I ll go outside. See what all the fuss is about this "real world"... I just hope i dont crash there.

I have had the same issue and been following the thread for a few weeks. Mine crashed after character creation then repeatedly every 1-15 minutes (sometime just a few seconds) managed to get into the first dungeon with repeated quicksaves moving a little between crashes. Finally gave up and prayed for patch to fix or graphics card driver update to fix it.

This same issue also happened in the BF3 beta but with full release it has been fine (did get driver updates before full release though)

With Skyrim have tried lowering graphics (refused to lower resolution) with crashes happening all the same

It is kind of depressing when you see your screen say "no signal" and have time to say goodbye before sound hangs and hard reset is required

Here are specs

G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75F-P

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

HIS Radeon HD6870 IceQ X 1GB

2 friends have this same issue. All 3 of us have HIS Radeon HD6870 graphics cards and similar builds