Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Since 4/12 I'm unable to play Skyrim at all. I've read through every post/thread I could find in the last couple of days and tried a bunch of stuff but nothing seems to make any difference. Each time I start skyrim and load a game the screen turns black and my GPU fan (or is it CPU? Not sure) goes up to full spin instantly and the whole computer becomes unresponsive, the only thing I can do is turn the computer off via the power switch. Occasionally (but rarely) I get a few seconds of play time before it crashes, other times it crashes on the menu before even starting to load a game. Before 4/12 I had no problems with crashes in any form, played for 60h+ without a single crash.

My setup:

MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB

AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 3.2GHz (No OC etc)

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 AMD 770

Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4x2048MB (8 GB total)

500W PSU

Windows 7

Some things I've tried/checked:

Running different graphics settings, windowed/full screen etc

Updating to latest Nvidia drivers

Full uninstall / reinstall of the game and settings (manually removing all of the files)

Making sure that none of the components are running too hot

Making sure that no backgrond apps are interfering

Running other games works fine (including Oblivion/Fallout NV and many others)

Validating cache via Steam

Tried with and without enbdev, no difference

4GB fix

I don't really have any high hopes at this point, but can anyone think of something else for me to try? Or do I simply wait for this to be patched?

I made this post some time ago regarding my hard crashes right after loading a game (crashed every time). Just wanted to let you know that the solution to my problem was updating my Nvidia drivers to the latest beta ones (290.36, was running 285.62 before). Haven't had a hard crash or CTD since. Underclocking or any of the other things I tried before updating to beta drivers made no difference whatsoever.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Hi, everyone. Sorry for my English, it’s not my native language.

1) Problem is in the game crashing video driver. Most probable by overusing vRAM. Crashes occurs more frequently on word map then in interiors. And more frequently in parts of map with large number of trees/grass/water then in mountains.

2) Temporary workaround. NOT FIX! Just a way to move out of “problem area” or finish a quest. Open console, then tipe (without brackets) [TT] [TG][TS] to disable trees, grass and sky. Of course it make game look ugly. And NOT prevent black screen completely. But it will allow you to play much longer before crash. After that just repeat this again to enable them back.

NOTE: game MAY crash even with disabled grass/trees/sky. If you reload from saved game after that, GRASS and TREES will be ON by default, but SKY may be off. Just use console command [TS].

NOTE#2: using console commands DO NOT disable achievements. At least with these particular commands.

Sorry mate but this made me chuckle. To fix: disable grass/trees/sky :D

Guys. Upgrade (if you have) Realtek drivers. (Audio) fixed it for me.

This worked for me. I went to realtek's website and got the newest ac97 drivers. Skyrim hasn't killed my video drivers since. Its been a few days and probably 15+ hours of play. I even got to play long enough to see my first CTD. At first i thought it was the black screen again but when i saw the desktop I was super happy. I am running vanilla skyrim no mods, no dll or patches. Im running win7 64 bit. asus mobo amd processor ati raedon 6900 series.

This worked for me. I went to realtek's website and got the newest ac97 drivers. Skyrim hasn't killed my video drivers since. Its been a few days and probably 15+ hours of play. I even got to play long enough to see my first CTD. At first i thought it was the black screen again but when i saw the desktop I was super happy. I am running vanilla skyrim no mods, no dll or patches. Im running win7 64 bit. asus mobo amd processor ati raedon 6900 series.

I'll try this, the realtek drivers I installed were the HD audio ones and that didn't help.

I'll try this, the realtek drivers I installed were the HD audio ones and that didn't help.

They aren't signed and I had to hit install anyway about 25 times. It was annoying but well worth it.

They aren't signed and I had to hit install anyway about 25 times. It was annoying but well worth it.

Same issue lol, had to hit install about 30 times. Anyway, before I test this I'm curious, what driver versions are you using, the most recent ones? 12.1 preview is what I have.

I downloaded version 6305 from realtek's website. http://www.realtek.com/downloads There are 3 choices the one that i used was AC'97 audio codecs and the only one that i saw for win7 was the version 6305. I have been playing for three days without a single black screen. Before it was between 1 minute and 3 hours on a lucky run. I doubt this will work for everyone but a few of us might get lucky. Edited by justmadethisnameforonepost

Go Here for the file to download which is linked via the video's description above.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

The Above link fixed my issues. Read the description for details. It's a simple .dll file dropped into the skyrim directory. This file evidently is suppose to be a fix for ATI/AMD cpu and video cards.

Every time I opened my map, my monitors would lose signal resulting in a hard reboot. After dropping the .dll file into the directory AND setting compatibility to windows 7, everything worked fine.

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for 2 weeks now....thank god this one worked.

Please respond with your results.

Failsafe

Edited by FailsafeOps

Go Here for the file to download which is linked via the video's description above.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

The Above link fixed my issues. Read the description for details. It's a simple .dll file dropped into the skyrim directory. This file evidently is suppose to be a fix for ATI/AMD cpu and video cards.

Every time I opened my map, my monitors would lose signal resulting in a hard reboot. After dropping the .dll file into the directory AND setting compatibility to windows 7, everything worked fine.

I've been looking for a solution to this problem for 2 weeks now....thank god this one worked.

Please respond with your results.

Failsafe

I've already tried this, and it was fine for almost 3 days... And then, bam, black screen of death again. Now I'm getting it in the other games also, and I'm pissed as hell!