Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Let me also add a few things:

This may be an allocation/deallocation issue; while I have most of my crashes under control, if I play for more than 3 hours straight it slows down and then blackscreens.

Also, DO disable ALL Nexus add-ons and add them back one at a time. I actually found the culprit in my case...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SecretAgent99

I am pretty sure the cause of these crashes are related to Betheda's game code disagreeing and conflicting with certain graphic cards. I could not get Skyrim to work at all either when I had a AMD HD 6870 1GB graphics card running. Once I switched to a AMD HD 7870 2GB OC the crashing stopped. Although I still do get weird flashing and clicking noises from extended play time. I think it all boils down to the fact that Bethesda never properly optimized and made sure most graphics cards work with the game. It just seems like a giant hardware incompatibility issue from what I have learned from trial and error. I also tried a Nvidia GTX560 OC 1GB graphics card and it too had the severe crashing issues. So definitely both Brands of Graphics card manufacturers are effected. Bethesda also seems to have no intention of fixing these incompatibility issues which really sucks for us and I definitely will not be pre-ordering or paying full price for a bethesda game ever again.

So there might be a few graphic cards that Skyrim does`nt crash on then? I do prefer Nvidia first but if ATI card will fix this there is worth it. Now that you mentioned it, I do have GTX 560 card :/

Does anyone know if it crash with Win8 or?

Hi everyone, I too am having a problem with my Skyrim game, Fallout, and to a lesser extent, Gmod. When I first got my desktop, skyrim could run just fine with decent settings. But lately, more and more the screen turns black and the sound starts to rattle. I put my game in windowed mode with small resolution and it still kills my PC. In all the 158 pages I hope someone has the same problem and hopefully found a solution. :sad:

My card is the AMD Radeon HD 7700 series.

Edited by Frikitiki

Coincidently I also recently bought an Asus GTX 770 DCII and it's black screening with audio studdering after a prolonged period of play (1-3 hrs, random really) Seeing all these people have this problem is good and bad for me. Good since I know its not my hardware (phew, newly built) and bad since I can't play skyrim for prolong periods of time (This just recently started to pop up even more when I installed Realvision enb so I guess I'll take that out.) Anyone know of a workaround or something?

If it helps I recently posted my .ini files at <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/1u3bxg/skyrim_hard_crashing_my_entire_pc/%20(I%20decided%20to%20change%20ugrids%20from%207%20to%205%20and%20the%20crashes%20stopped%20...%20or%20so%20I%20thought%20and%20then%20it%20hit%20me%20after%20longer%20period%20of%20time%201.5-2hrs%20compared%20to%201-1.5hrs)%20(I" href="http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/1u3bxg/skyrim_hard_crashing_my_entire_pc/%20(I%20decided%20to%20change%20ugrids%20from%207%20to%205%20and%20the%20crashes%20stopped%20...%20or%20so%20I%20thought%20and%20then%20it%20hit%20me%20after%20longer%20period%20of%20time%201.5-2hrs%20compared%20to%201-1.5hrs)%20(I" ve%20since%20editted%20my%20.ini%20files%20a%20bit%20more%20and%20i'll%20be%20getting%20rid%20of%20the%20enb%20but%20it%20seems%20from%20secretagent's%20post%20that%20not%20much%20is%20doable%20since%20its%20a%20incompatibility%20issue%20:="" )"="">http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/1u3bxg/skyrim_hard_crashing_my_entire_pc/

(I decided to change ugrids from 7 to 5 and the crashes stopped ... or so I thought and then it hit me after longer period of time 1.5-2hrs compared to 1-1.5hrs) (I've since editted my .ini files a bit more and I'll be getting rid of the enb but it seems from secretagent's post that not much is doable since its a incompatibility issue :/)

Edited by penelopehope

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have HIS ICeQ HD6870 and I have the same hard crash problem in Skyrim , Saints Row 3, Brutal Legends and Test Drive Unlimited.

My rig is very good, no problems in other games (I have 250+ games).

Exactly the same problem as voldoman's.

How were you able to disable your 2D Clock settings?

I have HIS iTurbo program but when I open the settings I cannot see "Disable 2D Clock" option there. Strange because in iTurbo's website I see that settings page has a "Disable 2D Clock" option.

Please help, I really want to play Skyrim and SR3.

Edited by erdanaci

It sounds like Skyrim has tons of problems with older cards.

Have you tried getting help from the Nvidia/Amd support site ?

I have a GTX 675 and never had any issues, Its really not okay that youre having all these problems just because Bethesda are some lazy greedy money wankers.

I know its not free,But maybe you should get newer gpus like GTX 670/675 or 680 from what ive heard all of the HD7970s driver problems has also been fixed.

Hope youre getting your games running :smile:

Well it`s good to see that I`m not the only one struggling with more games. My BF4 game freezes over with total crashdown, same with Skryrim.

I have more frequently CTD`s, total lockup now. Is dosen`t matter if I`m outside, inndoor og in a caven. Bugs me pretty much cause I want to play Skyrim. Putting a new rig together, hoping that it sill solve my problems. Manufactor of graphic cards is important in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the same crash as described.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130707-1535)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DM061
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.3.2
Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM

I see that most everyone with the same problems have a different system than I do.

Clearly a large multi-system issue that Bethesda hasn't figured out. I have gotten several solutions from tech support, spend hours at it and nothing works.

We all need to ask for a refund. I most certainly will be doing so. Selling a game that they know has been broken for years may constitute fraud. Anybody know a good class action lawyer? Pull this piece of junk off the market until it works.

Bethesda, fix please, but if you can't do that give everyone posting on this forum their money back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I get a similar problem where randomly in the game it looks like im being poisoned then the sceen goes super dark. you can only see for a few seconds if you use a shout. however you can still walk around aimlessly or open up menu's and map without problems. reverting to old saves doesn't help as after a while it comes back. i also can't absorb any dragon souls. Can anyone help