Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump for update!

So I've discovered at least a temporary solution until Bethesda gets off their asses and fixes this.

It seems that whether indoor or outdoor, once I crash and re-load, there's an extreme likelihood of a repeat crash within a few seconds. After a lenght of frustration, I decided to set my video settings to the bare minimum including the resolution. When it turned out that the game stopped crashing, I assumed it was because of only a particular setting, so I first increased my resolution to 1080. When that still worked, I increased everything except the water details and draw distances.

I played for 2 hours including both indoor and outdoor areas without a single crash.

It did eventually happen again and even repeated itself when I reloaded. But once I set the quality back to minimum it once again stopped crashing.

I'm assuming that I can reset my quality to high and play for at least a while without a crash. The problem seems to be isolated in very specific pockets of the game. For now, I'll probably play in low quality and see if it ever crashes. If anyone else takes this advice and tries the same, post your results.

Same here. Random CDTs no error messages, nothing, game just seems to "shut down". After 10 hours of playing still level 2 and not out of Whiterun yet lmao

Anyone know why this is happening it would be appreciated.

P.S running Win7 32bit with Nvidia 420 graphics and 1Gb dedicated ram. 4Gb ram and plenty of hard drive space. In fact the game runs beautifully except for this unexpected CDT and some missing meshes.... having a whale of a time lol

I am having the exact same problem as everyone here. I played for about 20 minutes and than it crashed. Black screen and the sound goes while the monitor light blinks. Now it wont even let me take a step without it crashing. I've tried everything you guys have suggested with no avail. Low setting even makes it crash. My setup is more than capable of running the game. I'm running win7 64 bit, radeon hd 6800 series with 8 gb of ram. I hope they fix it soon...

I am having the exact same problem as everyone here. I played for about 20 minutes and than it crashed. Black screen and the sound goes while the monitor light blinks. Now it wont even let me take a step without it crashing. I've tried everything you guys have suggested with no avail. Low setting even makes it crash. My setup is more than capable of running the game. I'm running win7 64 bit, radeon hd 6800 series with 8 gb of ram. I hope they fix it soon...

Did you set all the settings to their absolute lowest? Including the resolution? Also disable Overdrive if you have the catalyst control center installed.

Having the same problem, and VERY RELIEVED to finally find some others with the same issue. I was starting to stress out about my hardware.

Just as was posted earlier, the screen goes black due to a drop in video feed (not just a black screen), but the music lingers for a few seconds before going all broken-record. Keyboard commands seem useless, and a hard boot is required. I had tried playing on lowest settings, but neglected to reduce the resolution as well... will try that now.

I'm on Win7 Pro 64, and running a Radeon HD 6870. Are any Nvidia cards having this issue, or any Radeon cards NOT in the 5000/6000 series? It looks like a combo between Win7 and those specific cards (or maybe just the cards, being that Win7 is far more common than any one type of GPU). I'm surprised this didn't crop up in testing, honestly.

EDIT: The minimum graphics fix isn't going to work for me, as my hardware apparently doesn't support the lowest resolution, and the one just above that doesn't fix the problem. Man, I hope this doesn't ruin my weekend! >:[

Edited by DanRocco

Did you set all the settings to their absolute lowest? Including the resolution? Also disable Overdrive if you have the catalyst control center installed.

Ya I did. Including resolution. Overdrive is disabled. It would be nice to hear of other cards not in the 6000 series.