Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

IMPORTANT

I bring news gentlemen, I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and have found a solution which worked for me. Was getting black screen, fan spin up crash in high detail areas and the map. All I did was DL the latest Sapphire 5870 bios from techpowerup and flashed it to my card using WinFlash. Look into this because it's worked for me perfectly.

Specs:

i7 930 cpu

ASUS P6X58D-E mobo

6g ripjaws ram

Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X

650W psu

IMPORTANT

- edit, Obviously DL the one corresponding to your manufacturer if it wasn't clear.

Edited by Jman945

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMPORTANT

I bring news gentlemen, I've been lurking on this thread for quite some time and have found a solution which worked for me. Was getting black screen, fan spin up crash in high detail areas and the map. All I did was DL the latest Sapphire 5870 bios from techpowerup and flashed it to my card using WinFlash. Look into this because it's worked for me perfectly.

Specs:

i7 930 cpu

ASUS P6X58D-E mobo

6g ripjaws ram

Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X

650W psu

IMPORTANT

I did this a little while ago to my Sapphire 5770s the latest bios both of'em and I'm still getting that crash :(

Is anyone of you usin IObit GameBooster? If so, I may have found a solution.

I had that same issue in Skyrim and also in any game I have. Finally I realized it all begun after I had updated my GameBooster. I tried playing without activating the gaming mode and suddenly everything was fine.

So don't update your GameBooster to the newest version, it's deadly :wallbash:

EDIT: Forget I said anything. It happened again...

Edited by Hormagaunt

Just tried downloading the latest Realtek drivers from their site, and that didn't work. Checked on techpowerup and my card's drivers are up to date. And I'll try the air compressor tomorrow, don't think it will do much good since my build is only a couple months old....but maybe there's a wire or something that's causing a fan to slow (although I think I would hear it if that were the case lol)

From Friday night through Sunday night I was experiencing relentless black screen reboot crashing behavior. Sometimes the game would do it after less than a minute in the world.

Very frustrating obviously.

Even more frustrating: solutions here that are trips down the rabbit hole. If you're having this crashing behavior, this is all too familiar: you think you've fixed it, you're playing and everything's great for an hour or two...and then blammo. Black screen, sound stutter/loops, reboot.

I spent most of Friday and Saturday convinced this was at first a CPU/GPU overheating issue. It is not. Speedfan logs on my CPU show it never going beyond 58 degrees C. GPU never got hotter than 71 degrees C with an un-tweaked vanilla install.

Yet still crashes.

So. Drivers. All of them. BIOS updates. Everything.

Still...no go. No permanent solution. Sometimes it'd seem promising and I'd get an hour in and think "I FIXED IT!" and then it'd crash and reboot again.

Last night I removed my soundcard from the system, and plugged an older pair of Turtle Beach surround headsets into the mainboard sound system. Cleaned the driver for the sound card out (Asus Xonar Xense card) of the system and registry. Ran the game for two hours last night. Rock solid stable. Used the FXAA Injector, tweaked the hell out of my .ini (ugrids to 7, grass on distant draws, shadow maps to 4096, the whole nine yards.) Ran it again. 3 and a half hours later, no crashes, no nothing. Today, just finished a third extended play session, this time for FOUR hours. No problems. No crashes. Nothing.

SO.

I obviously don't think everyone having the reboot crashes is using an Asus sound card...but I'd also say that some sort of sound conflict with some of the particular settings of various users is the culprit here. I really do. It's sound-related. The very first post in this thread was on the right track, I think.

The good news is that reading between the lines of the patch notes, you see that they're going to fix the bug with certain sound settings. I have faith that for many folks having this crash, the patch will fix it. I hope at least. If nothing else, start looking at your sound settings as a place to start troubleshooting your own crashes.

FINALLY:

I actually kept a log of everything I did when playing that induced-crash and reboot behavior on a legal pad. Every setting I touched, everything. And tonight just reviewing it, there's one other thing, one other common denominator to all my crashes. I hesitate to mention it because my rational brain says "No way in hell should this cause hard-lock reboot crashes", but I'll throw it out there just in case. In absolutely every single case where my game became unstable, right before the crashes started one of the things I did was to turn dialogue subtitles on. I know. I know. It *can't* be that. Just throwing it out there, because dammit when this happens to folks, the frustration is such that you'll try anything.

At any rate:

1. I fixed my problem by fiddling with my sound setup.

2. I know it's ridiculous, but maybe keeping subtitles off helps?

3. I think there's a puncher's chance that the patch on Wednesday--if indeed this crash and reboot is caused by sound problems--could fix this for everyone.

I hope some of that is helpful to someone!

This is promising news to hear I must say. I'm not a computer expert by any means, and have been doing all the tinkering that has been suggested on here to no avail. I'm not too sure but I think my friend has put one of his old "Sound Audigy" cards in my new build not too long ago because I hadn't bothered with one at that point. I've been playing with headphones the whole time though, just through a USB plug in the front of my computer so I'm not sure if the sound card would have an effect on that sort of set-up? I'll try removing the card along with all of it's drivers tomorrow to see if that does the trick. If not I'll be crossing my fingers until the patch release on Wed. But this definitely gives me more hope for the patch anyways, thanks for the news!

Edited by EachBraveEye

Here's a strange thing - even though my laptop is weak, it handled everything from Crysis 2 to Saint's Row 3. The only games that crashed just like Skyrim were Batman Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed Revelations. What do you think - could this be hardware-related?

This game is designed for Xbox/ps3, we have PC the last generation, is ridiculous...should not crash!

so it is a problem of game, no hardware

They have created a nasty bug that makes a lot of computer crash

Wait, I think that Batman and AC were designed for consoles too.

From Friday night through Sunday night I was experiencing relentless black screen reboot crashing behavior. Sometimes the game would do it after less than a minute in the world.

Very frustrating obviously.

Even more frustrating: solutions here that are trips down the rabbit hole. If you're having this crashing behavior, this is all too familiar: you think you've fixed it, you're playing and everything's great for an hour or two...and then blammo. Black screen, sound stutter/loops, reboot.

I spent most of Friday and Saturday convinced this was at first a CPU/GPU overheating issue. It is not. Speedfan logs on my CPU show it never going beyond 58 degrees C. GPU never got hotter than 71 degrees C with an un-tweaked vanilla install.

Yet still crashes.

So. Drivers. All of them. BIOS updates. Everything.

Still...no go. No permanent solution. Sometimes it'd seem promising and I'd get an hour in and think "I FIXED IT!" and then it'd crash and reboot again.

Last night I removed my soundcard from the system, and plugged an older pair of Turtle Beach surround headsets into the mainboard sound system. Cleaned the driver for the sound card out (Asus Xonar Xense card) of the system and registry. Ran the game for two hours last night. Rock solid stable. Used the FXAA Injector, tweaked the hell out of my .ini (ugrids to 7, grass on distant draws, shadow maps to 4096, the whole nine yards.) Ran it again. 3 and a half hours later, no crashes, no nothing. Today, just finished a third extended play session, this time for FOUR hours. No problems. No crashes. Nothing.

SO.

I obviously don't think everyone having the reboot crashes is using an Asus sound card...but I'd also say that some sort of sound conflict with some of the particular settings of various users is the culprit here. I really do. It's sound-related. The very first post in this thread was on the right track, I think.

The good news is that reading between the lines of the patch notes, you see that they're going to fix the bug with certain sound settings. I have faith that for many folks having this crash, the patch will fix it. I hope at least. If nothing else, start looking at your sound settings as a place to start troubleshooting your own crashes.

FINALLY:

I actually kept a log of everything I did when playing that induced-crash and reboot behavior on a legal pad. Every setting I touched, everything. And tonight just reviewing it, there's one other thing, one other common denominator to all my crashes. I hesitate to mention it because my rational brain says "No way in hell should this cause hard-lock reboot crashes", but I'll throw it out there just in case. In absolutely every single case where my game became unstable, right before the crashes started one of the things I did was to turn dialogue subtitles on. I know. I know. It *can't* be that. Just throwing it out there, because dammit when this happens to folks, the frustration is such that you'll try anything.

At any rate:

1. I fixed my problem by fiddling with my sound setup.

2. I know it's ridiculous, but maybe keeping subtitles off helps?

3. I think there's a puncher's chance that the patch on Wednesday--if indeed this crash and reboot is caused by sound problems--could fix this for everyone.

I hope some of that is helpful to someone!

I can't turn off my subs, my game is in German, and I don't speak German.

I also agree, though, the game has unstable sound. My computer doesn't crash on anything, Skyrim is an isolated case. It's such a pain, but I'd say you're right. Statistically speaking, sound fiddling has brought the most successful results.