Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

First of all, I want to apologize for my english, isn't my native language.

And also say thank you for sharing everything

Yeah, got the same problem here in my notebook (C2D T6500 2.10GHz, 4GB, ATI 4650, W7 x64).

First game I wasn't able to run, of course some had been in low settings, but still running.

the strangest of things has happened to me today. this could be a possible fix for ATI users!

so i downloaded a d3d9.dll file from one of the posts in here - i cannot remember which one. i had put it in my skyrim folder and played only to see my game crash just like it always had. today, however, i tried something different: i launched the skyrim launcher via the radeonpro application. straight away, the message came up that my settings were configured for ultra high. this struck me a bit odd, since my last detection was set to high. i ran the game and was able to play for an entire hour on a brand new save. i've even got mods running and have edited the ini files to tweak my settings.

what i noticed in the skyrimprefs file is what may have allowed me to play (and note that i didn't crash during the hour that i played for). i'm running an ATI 6850, but found sD3DDevice="NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS" in the ini. i have a feeling that this was due to the d3d9.dll file in my skyrim folder. could some of these issues stem simply from a string of text? i will play some more and hopefully continue on crash free.

pastebins for anyone who wants to go over my settings:

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

Tried this fix below, and a lot others, but still crashing.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the people saying the crashing is heat-related: My crashes are definitely NOT caused by overheating hardware.

My crashes can usually be reproduced, that is to say: They occur e.g. when drawing weapons in a certain area. Or by crossing a certain "threshold" somewhere. Or opening the map. After rebooting my computer, I can simply crash Skyrim again by doing the same thing that caused it to crash before. I can usually circumvent a certain crash by travelling to another region or similar - sometimes allowing me to play for hours before having another crash.

Strange: When I return to the "crash area" some time later, I can't trigger the crashes anymore and can play in the formerly "crashy" region. Which has me thinking it's some kind of caching bug.

To reiterate: Crashes (for me) seem tied to a certain action or event, they are NOT heat-related!

I found what seems to be a fix for this tedious full system crash when visiting the bethesda forum post mentioned a few pages ago on this thread (the compilation of everything we have tried). I'll post what I found on the thread here to make things easier.

Note: I don't think that this will work for Nvidia users, only ATI.

--------------------

Download atiumdag.dll from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

See the link at this forum post

http://www.overclock...0#post_15656590

Open folder

steam > steamapps > common > skyrim

Drag atimgpud.dll into the steam folder. (This is to just get it out of the skyrim folder without losing the file in case this does not work.)

Place atiumdag.dll in the skyrim folder (steam > steamapps > common > skyrim)

--------------------

This has fixed the full system crash when opening my map as well as the random crashes that we have all suffered dearly. I hope that this helps everyone else. I'll post back if I run into any issues using this "fix".

Doing just this and the 4GB mod has worked wonders for me. I also now have the high res texture mod, water mod, lightening mod, high res weapons mod, and night mod running. I occasionally CTD but thats so much better than locking up completely with the black screen problem. I have only used 1 day but was able to play for 4 hours straight.

Specs: In mine I know its just the card - had to use an older ATI 4860 to play, but just yesterday put back in my new HIS AMD 6870 - Device ID 6738

Hi all.

My spec:

ati 6990

intel q9550

vista ultimate 64 bit

Corsair dominator 8 Gb 1066MHz

On ccc vsync always off

override application setting

aa 2x

amd optimized on

aa mode performance

In game

high settings

2x aa

4x anisotropic

2560x1600

ati driver 11.11b

4 gb mod

1.1 patch

Now i can play. Before black screen make me MAD !!!

3 days and only one crash to desktop not black screen.

Hope it helps someone.

No comments to Bethseda ....

Edited by john7even

Yeah, got the same problem here in my notebook (C2D T6500 2.10GHz, 4GB, ATI 4650, W7 x64).

First game I wasn't able to run, of course some had been in low settings, but still running.

the strangest of things has happened to me today. this could be a possible fix for ATI users!

so i downloaded a d3d9.dll file from one of the posts in here - i cannot remember which one. i had put it in my skyrim folder and played only to see my game crash just like it always had. today, however, i tried something different: i launched the skyrim launcher via the radeonpro application. straight away, the message came up that my settings were configured for ultra high. this struck me a bit odd, since my last detection was set to high. i ran the game and was able to play for an entire hour on a brand new save. i've even got mods running and have edited the ini files to tweak my settings.

what i noticed in the skyrimprefs file is what may have allowed me to play (and note that i didn't crash during the hour that i played for). i'm running an ATI 6850, but found sD3DDevice="NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS" in the ini. i have a feeling that this was due to the d3d9.dll file in my skyrim folder. could some of these issues stem simply from a string of text? i will play some more and hopefully continue on crash free.

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

if you could, please try again with the following guide and a new, clean set of ini files (lower the settings a notch using the launcher, since you will get a higher predefined set than your computer may be able to handle).

ATI Users! Please Read!

google search for radeonpro, download and install - nvidia users note that this is for ATI cards. you will have to fiddle around with whatever the tweaking program is for nvidia cards.

the following has enabled play on my computer after crashes that stopped me from getting any further than helgen's dragon attack.

my specs:

AMD 955BE @ 3.2GHz

ATI HD6850 @ 800MHz Core & 1100MHz Memory - Catalyst 11.11

8GB Kingston HyperX Blu @ 1600MHz

Coolermaster 650W PSU

that's the important stuff

1 - open radeonpro and add a new entry, pointing the program to your tesv.exe

2 - follow these settings (you may have to turn some off if the game slows down)

the following settings are fine on my machine. if you experience low frame rates or texture popping, turn down some settings or disable some options. ymmv.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3447/tesvradeonpro1.png

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6836/tesvradeonpro2.png

STEAM USERS NOTE: launch using radeonpro - NOT STEAM

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1277/tesvradeonpro3.png

3 - download the d3d9.dll file i had in my directory and place it into yours

MegaUpload link

4 - backup and remove skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini

5 - launch the game using radeonpro

6 - report back here with your findings!

i sincerely hope that this works for at least one other person. i've been excited as all hell to be able to play - even if there are some performance hits sometimes.

I have the exact same problem with the monitor going black with the "no signal" and sound plays for about 4-5 seconds then the computer hangs. This only happened for me outside the second town White-something. It was always the same spot where it crashed.

I solved my crashes with disabling all AA and only left FXAA on + window mode. Still playing with the high-settings but with no AA and only FXAA. and what do you know, I have been able to play for 5ish hours without a single crash.

Im sitting on a comp with Win7x64, AMD HD6850 and catalyst 11.10. So i think the window mode or the no AA fixed my problem.

Sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.

I will try this later. I'm relieved to find out that I'm not the only one who has this problem. I'm fortunate to have found this forum. All my drivers are up to date. Interestingly enough, my son has the same system, but the only difference is that he has a XFX Radeon HD 4870 Video Card. His system has NEVER crashed.

My system:

Window 7 64bit SP1

HIS RADEON 6870 (latest ATI Drivers)

Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H

AMD Phenom II X4 965

DX11

RealTek 6.00.0001.6449

4GB RAM

I'll read on to see if there is something else I may have missed and report this to Bethesda.

This is completely ridicoulus. This thread is over 80 pages and Bethesda hasn't done anything.

I have an ATI HD 4870 and actually got about 25 hours of game time before the game started to crash. After that I got vertical green lines all across my monitor, screen goes black and eventually VPU Recover manages to save me from forcing to turn the power off. Normally it just freezes completely, not allowing me to do anything. Got worried and thought that it was a hardware problem, so I decided to run some tests. Found out that my GPU temperature was ~115 degrees Celcius during load. Opened up my chassi and removed some (pretty damn much) dust, rerouted all the cables, among other things.* Started Skyrim again and checked the temperature again, which now was down to 65 degrees during load, which was great! I thought that the problem was solved, since I was able to play for over 3 hours straight without any crashes - but eventually the same thing occured and I was forced to shut down my computer.

Now here is where things get odd: the problem spread to other games as well, which I have never had any problems with before. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Nitronic Rush, Total War... All games crashed completely after a couple of hours, but I did also notice some artifacts and quite large "black boxes" popping up on the screen. A few days later the problem got even worse - it had spread all the way to the desktop. Yep, even when I am working with files, writing an document, browsing websites, the screen would turn into a full-scale mish-mash of colorful lines, without being able to do anything but to pull the plug.

After that I booted up into safe mode and uninstalled my ATI drivers, first using the ATI software then DriverSweeper. Installed the 11.11 version, and, as far as I know, the desktop problem got solved. Although I still experience artifacts and black boxes in Nitronic Rush for an example, and Skyrim crash after roughly 2 hours of game time. Now I've given up completely. I suspect that I have a roasted GPU at the moment, and that I have to buy a new graphics card, which I really don't want to. To be honest, this game hasn't caused me anything but trouble. I hardly feel like playing it anymore since it has crashed so many times.

Bottom line: I just wonder if anyone else has gotten the same problems as I have - that the graphic glitches and crashes has spread to other games and even the desktop? And also, like everyone else, any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

*Note that I have had this graphics card for over 2 years, working flawlessly, until I got Skyrim...

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

if you could, please try again with the following guide and a new, clean set of ini files (lower the settings a notch using the launcher, since you will get a higher predefined set than your computer may be able to handle).

ATI Users! Please Read!

google search for radeonpro, download and install - nvidia users note that this is for ATI cards. you will have to fiddle around with whatever the tweaking program is for nvidia cards.

the following has enabled play on my computer after crashes that stopped me from getting any further than helgen's dragon attack.

my specs:

AMD 955BE @ 3.2GHz

ATI HD6850 @ 800MHz Core & 1100MHz Memory - Catalyst 11.11

8GB Kingston HyperX Blu @ 1600MHz

Coolermaster 650W PSU

that's the important stuff

1 - open radeonpro and add a new entry, pointing the program to your tesv.exe

2 - follow these settings (you may have to turn some off if the game slows down)

the following settings are fine on my machine. if you experience low frame rates or texture popping, turn down some settings or disable some options. ymmv.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3447/tesvradeonpro1.png

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6836/tesvradeonpro2.png

STEAM USERS NOTE: launch using radeonpro - NOT STEAM

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1277/tesvradeonpro3.png

3 - download the d3d9.dll file i had in my directory and place it into yours

MegaUpload link

4 - backup and remove skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini

5 - launch the game using radeonpro

6 - report back here with your findings!

i sincerely hope that this works for at least one other person. i've been excited as all hell to be able to play - even if there are some performance hits sometimes.

Did not work for me :wallbash::(

Well for me ATI 11.11c, ENBseries patch7, 1.2 patch, that ATI fix and underclocking my CPU to the min using MSI afterburner seemed to work, because it didn't crash when it would've. Or maybe I just got lucky.

This is the point where i suspected an accumulative problem,as mine worked after a few tweaks but after a few hours it all went tits up again,and to top it off it ate my save games.