Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

@Manthic:

You put d3d9.dll in the folder where were the ini?

The game will automatically recreate ini file

Got it to work thanks.

Gonna report if I encounter the infamous crash.

Edit: Played a few minutes and noticed that the "Burning" effect was replaced by a black texture :/

Edited by Manthic

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I previously mentioned, has anyone had any freezes outside of Skyrim, when playing other games recently? I've noticed that the instability has spread to other games as well. I am now experiencing the exact same type of crash in all 3D games I play.

Reply would be appreciated.

I have the same black screen crash with Assassin's Creed Revelations. Unlike some other person here, Saint's Row 3 worked flawlessly on my laptop. So only AC

As I previously mentioned, has anyone had any freezes outside of Skyrim, when playing other games recently? I've noticed that the instability has spread to other games as well. I am now experiencing the exact same type of crash in all 3D games I play.

I have the same black screen crash with Assassin's Creed Revelations. Unlike some other person here, Saint's Row 3 worked flawlessly on my laptop. So only AC

I'm that person with SR3 =) I launched it once, got same black screen stuff in 30 mins or so and never touched it anymore.

I'm that person with SR3 =) I launched it once, got same black screen stuff in 30 mins or so and never touched it anymore.

Once you get an opportunity - PLAY IT. That game's awesome

@Manthic:

You put d3d9.dll in the folder where were the ini?

The game will automatically recreate ini file

Got it to work thanks.

Gonna report if I encounter the infamous crash.

Edit: Played a few minutes and noticed that the "Burning" effect was replaced by a black texture :/

I crashed after 3 hours of play.

Better.

First was 5 minutes.

But now I'm tired, I think we should just ask for a refund.

It is a scam.

Okay, do you think it's related? I haven't had any problems with my games before, until I got Skyrim. In major my graphics card has been acting strange.

I found what seems to be a fix for this tedious full system crash when visiting the bethesda forum post mentioned a few pages ago on this thread (the compilation of everything we have tried). I'll post what I found on the thread here to make things easier.

Note: I don't think that this will work for Nvidia users, only ATI.

--------------------

Download atiumdag.dll from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

See the link at this forum post

http://www.overclock...0#post_15656590

Open folder

steam > steamapps > common > skyrim

Drag atimgpud.dll into the steam folder. (This is to just get it out of the skyrim folder without losing the file in case this does not work.)

Place atiumdag.dll in the skyrim folder (steam > steamapps > common > skyrim)

--------------------

This has fixed the full system crash when opening my map as well as the random crashes that we have all suffered dearly. I hope that this helps everyone else. I'll post back if I run into any issues using this "fix".

So far this fix has eliminated the problem for me. In 10+ hours or so of gameplay, i have not had a single black screen, whereas before i was getting a couple per hour. The only drawback is flames in the game now look awful (blocky mess), but i'd rather that than frequent resets of my PC. I have found that the game will crash in certain places too - one quest i couldn't complete due to the back screen bug (even after trying days later), but after trying this fix i have had no problems.

I'm running a Radeon 5850

Skyrim is unpatched (Version 1.0)

I'm not running any mods

Okay, do you think it's related? I haven't had any problems with my games before, until I got Skyrim. In major my graphics card has been acting strange.

hey, I too have a crash (Black Screen) with an online game Guild Wars

never had before this damn Skyrim.

well, after fixing my card's overheating problem (Developed after Skyrim's release) the game ran stable for approximately 5 hours using the ATI .dll file replacement technique and then crashed again going up the mountain to the greybeards. Weird and stupid.

Same here, only difference is that I went to Riverwood instead the Greybeards!

Looks like this method fixes only until this part of the game. Weird!

hey, I too have a crash (Black Screen) with an online game Guild Wars

never had before this damn Skyrim.

I had the problem with BF3 when it was a Demo and after it went live. After the first fix, the problem was gone...I have no problems with BF3 now, but Skyrim...its a crash monster on my system no matter what I have tried.