Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

One thing really intrigued me, I met some guys in a Brazilian forum, with the same notebook as mine (not similar, exactly the same brand and all) that run the game for as long as they wish without crashing or even lagging. Now please somebody tell me, how is this possible?

Driver/software differences.

Different OS updates/version

Also possible is that your notebook has some different revision hardware.

Most likely though, since a lot of people have isolated the graphics driver/engine as a problem, it's that your drivers are slightly differently set up or that the game is differently set up

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is really ridiculous

this is a SERIOUS PROBLEM that makes the game UNPLAYABLE and can DAMAGE COMPUTERS and Bethesda is ignoring it

if they don't fix it by the end of the year, I'm asking for a refund.

Edited by kneph

Hi everyone...First sorry for my english...I have the bsod problem from day one with skyrim.The game was running fine until i exit the first dungeon of the game and moving to riverwood, then boom black screen.I had this problem only outdoors as the game didn't crash in dungeons or caves.So i tried everything from 11/11/11 i got the game that this forum and nexus provided without success.So after so many hard crashes i downloaded msi afterburner that someone suggested in nexus forums...I have the ati hd 6770 gpu and it has clock speed 850 mhz and memory clock 1200 mhz.So i underclock the memory clock from 1200 to 1000 mhz from the program because ati ccc couldn't do it and i run the game fine for three days now without bsod or crash or anything else, i only reduced the memory clock speed a little...I don't know if this will help any other i hope so.I also have the 4 g patch and enbseries patch 9 installed but i had them before and the game was crashing so it is clearly the memory reduce that solved my problem.I will continue to post here if the game continues to play fine...I also want to add that i don't have any other problem with games this happens only in skyrim...

I've noticed something that got my attention - for now we know that the crashes and the black screens are the issue of some bad communication between RAM - Skyrim - Video card. When I installed the game, any area or saved game would load so fast that I couldn't even read the longer tips of the loading screens. I have several characters, none above the level od 30. So, for the past 5-6 days, my loading of saved games takes around 20-30 seconds - which is compared to start much much longer. It takes so long that sometimes even 3 tips appear on the screen. So my question is - does anyone has any idea what builds up the game cache and where, and is there any way simply to flush it as you would e.g. do with your RAM cache?

I still think someone should file a class action law suit.

I totally agree with this. It is obvious that Betty is NOT doing as much as they could to help us with these issues. For the 1st 2 weeks I had not a single problem with anything - except noticing some stupid bugs; and since then until this moment I am constantly fighting with CTD's, black screens, purple missing textures, unexplained huge lag spikes, upon the run of the game very long 1st load of any saved game... etc. I will be patient for one more patch, ONLY one, and then I'm asking for my money back. I have had enough of this. :wallbash: >:(

Possible fix posted by Neverlight:

- First off in Options , i choose ULTRA and unmark fxaa and "fade out object details" (not sure if its the correct translation for this because i have the german version)

- Now i opened SkyrimPrefs.ini (Under Documents -> MyGames -> Skyrim) and changed the following settings:

- bMouseAcceleration=0 (change it to 0)

- iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 (change it to 1)

- iShadowFilter=3 (change it to 4)

- fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000 (change it to 1000.0000)

- fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0.0000 (change it to 10000000.0000)

- fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000 (change it to 1000.0000)

- bTreesReceiveShadows=0 (change it to 1)

- uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20 (change it to 40)

- iWaterMultiSamples=0 (change it to 4)

- iWaterReflectHeight=512 (change it to 1024)

- iWaterReflectWidth=512 (change it to 1024)

And now i added the following lines at the and of SkyrimPrefs.ini:

- bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1

- bReflectExplosions=1

- iWaterBlurAmount=4

- bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0

- bForceHighDetailreflections=1

Thanks for all the help guys....and shame on you Bethesda , to let us alone for this long time after the release of the game, without being able to play the game.

Only help i had was the community....

Thank you very much Neverlight. I have no idea what those tweaks done to my game, but the graphics are better, the weird shadow issues on my character and NPC's are gone, and I haven't got any black screen since that change. Altough, occasionally I get a CTD while some area is loading, but I can live with that. So once again, thank you.

this is really ridiculous

this is a SERIOUS PROBLEM that makes the game UNPLAYABLE and can DAMAGE COMPUTERS and Bethesda is ignoring it

if they don't fix it by the end of the year, I'm asking for a refund.

man you got a lot of patience i refunded in the first week.

just wait till the price drops or download it else where a company that doesnt give a crap about fixing this problem doesnt deserve its money.

I found what seems to be a fix for this tedious full system crash when visiting the bethesda forum post mentioned a few pages ago on this thread (the compilation of everything we have tried). I'll post what I found on the thread here to make things easier.

Note: I don't think that this will work for Nvidia users, only ATI.

--------------------

Download atiumdag.dll from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

See the link at this forum post

http://www.overclock...0#post_15656590

Open folder

steam > steamapps > common > skyrim

Drag atimgpud.dll into the steam folder. (This is to just get it out of the skyrim folder without losing the file in case this does not work.)

Place atiumdag.dll in the skyrim folder (steam > steamapps > common > skyrim)

--------------------

This has fixed the full system crash when opening my map as well as the random crashes that we have all suffered dearly. I hope that this helps everyone else. I'll post back if I run into any issues using this "fix".

So far this fix has eliminated the problem for me. In 10+ hours or so of gameplay, i have not had a single black screen, whereas before i was getting a couple per hour. The only drawback is flames in the game now look awful (blocky mess), but i'd rather that than frequent resets of my PC. I have found that the game will crash in certain places too - one quest i couldn't complete due to the back screen bug (even after trying days later), but after trying this fix i have had no problems.

I'm running a Radeon 5850

Skyrim is unpatched (Version 1.0)

I'm not running any mods

Seems to work for me too. Had no blackscreen since replacing atiumdag.dll with atimgpud.dll and the latest ENB patch. I have several other mods and everything seems fine now. In 10+ hours I suffered just 2 CTD´s since I use this solution..tried everything else before and nothing solved the blackscreen for me..and I got it really often before! I´m using an ATI 6870..so if you also have an ATI card try this solution and don´t forget to put atiumdag.dll in another folder!

I've noticed something that got my attention - for now we know that the crashes and the black screens are the issue of some bad communication between RAM - Skyrim - Video card. When I installed the game, any area or saved game would load so fast that I couldn't even read the longer tips of the loading screens. I have several characters, none above the level od 30. So, for the past 5-6 days, my loading of saved games takes around 20-30 seconds - which is compared to start much much longer. It takes so long that sometimes even 3 tips appear on the screen. So my question is - does anyone has any idea what builds up the game cache and where, and is there any way simply to flush it as you would e.g. do with your RAM cache?

if it is RAM/savegame related, then that's something that currently carries over from the PS3 version of the game. i feel sorry for PS3 users, since some save games are hitting sizes upwards of 19MBs, effectively preventing them from being played due to the PS3 not being able to free up its own memory.

for those who don't quite understand what i'm getting at:

skyrim loads the bare essentials to get started - this takes up space

when you load a game, variables are put into play and the area around you is loaded - more space taken up

when a save gets larger, more and more variables get loaded from said save, since they're flagged as having been active - the further you are in the save, the more variables

since the PS3 only has 256MB of RAM to play with for anything that isn't graphics, the system grinds to a halt when that capacity has been reached.

I'm new to this forum. Does this thread deal with complete system shut down issues (as if the computer was powered down), or the freeze to black screen forcing user to shut down.

My computer instantly shuts down after about 5 mins of gameplay. I haven't ever gotten past the character creation screen. Skyrim is virtually unplayable for me. My system passes the system requirements.

I've tried a few things to resolve the issue:

1) Adjust the sound settings

2) Update Direct X and my video card driver (Its an ATI HD 6000 series card)

3) Run in compatibility mode

4) Run with AntiFREEZE Patch 9 ENBSeries v0.096

5) Followed Neverlight's instructions (modifying .ini file)

6) Tried dreigner method of launching with radeon pro

None of these suggestions fix the problem. Which steps would anyone recommend I take next. I don't have the system specs on me right now (I'm at work), but I can post them when I get home. My processor is an Intel (i5 or i7).

Thank you all for your admirable effort to resolve these issues ignored by the profiting developers.

I'm new to this forum. Does this thread deal with complete system shut down issues (as if the computer was powered down), or the freeze to black screen forcing user to shut down.

My computer instantly shuts down after about 5 mins of gameplay. I haven't ever gotten past the character creation screen. Skyrim is virtually unplayable for me. My system passes the system requirements.

I've tried a few things to resolve the issue:

1) Adjust the sound settings

2) Update Direct X and my video card driver (Its an ATI HD 6000 series card)

3) Run in compatibility mode

4) Run with AntiFREEZE Patch 9 ENBSeries v0.096

5) Followed Neverlight's instructions (modifying .ini file)

6) Tried dreigner method of launching with radeon pro

None of these suggestions fix the problem. Which steps would anyone recommend I take next. I don't have the system specs on me right now (I'm at work), but I can post them when I get home. My processor is an Intel (i5 or i7).

Thank you all for your admirable effort to resolve these issues ignored by the profiting developers.

Read it?