#2 Skyrim Armor Dye

droscoe2

Look at images and Info below them  

43 members have voted

1. 1. (1st set of images) I am considering sharpening to textures for the dye mod to enhance visual quality (imo). Would you want this? Sharpened armor is on right of vanilla.

• Yes, looks good.
    • No, I prefer default.
  2. 2. (2nd set of images) I'm trying to decide on how dyeing will actually affect your armor in a One-Color system. Do you prefer your armor be dyed based on my own judgement, or do you prefer your armor be dyed completely?(minus buckls,straps,buttons etc)

• I prefer the major parts be dyed, but not all of it.
    • I prefer my armor be dyed completely, except things like buckles,buttons,straps,etc.
  3. 3. Please view the Color Dye schemes below the images. Considering the time to create the mod and file install size, which one would you suggest aiming for?

• One-Color system with 10 colors
    • One-Color system with 16 colors
    • Two-Color system with only neutrals as trim
    • Two-Color system with all colors as trim available

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3569/acompare.png

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6372/aacompare.png

----------

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7618/aaacompare1.png

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/78/aaacompare2.png

----------

One-Color System - 10 colors - At my judgement, color will be applied to the major portion of the armor, but not all. (Unless people's votes indicate they want the ENTIRE armor dyed)

- Approx 960 new textures total

- Approximate size= 640.125mb

One-Color System - 16 colors - Adding even only 6 more colors gives more variety. At my judgement, color will be applied to the major portion of the armor, but not all. (Unless people's votes indicate they want the ENTIRE armor dyed)

- Approx 1536 new textures total

- Approximate size= 1.1gb

Two-Color System - 10 colors - Armor is divided (at my judgement) into Base and Trim. 10 colors can be applied to the majority of the armor, and only 3 neutral colors (black,grey,white) can be applied to the trim. If player prefers, NO dye can be applied to trim. This can enhance customization a bit.

- Approx 3840 new textures total

- Approximate size= 2.6gb

Two-Color System - 10 colors - Armor is divided (at my judgement) into Base and Trim. 10 colors can be applied to the majority of the armor and each color has its own colored variation of trim, which can be selected from all available colors. In total, you have 100 possible combinations of dye color. BIG MONSTER.

- Approx 9600 new textures total

- Approximate size= 6.4gb

Please visit main page for my mod proposal: Skyrim Armor Dyes

Edited by droscoe2

This sounds wonderful but I have a big concern for later down the road.

Just how will this conflict with the inevitable armor texture mods that come down the pike?

I would imagine there would be a great potential for many conflicts.

I do like the idea of more attractive armor variations for sure.

Of course in a perfect world it would be best to let the player assign dye to the dye-able parts and

it is a damn pity Bethesda could not come up with this as the idea has been around in games I've played

from back in 2000. I can't imagine it is rocket science. Laugh.

Maybe it is though.

I do wonder why the heck the data files for this would have to bloat so much. Cheesus.

Will be watching for something out of this. Good luck.

Yea, armor texture mod will definitely conflict with this mod. IF they're augmenting the same textures of course.

But that's why we have this website, for people to decide which mods they want. Hopefully I can get this done within a few months, depending on what people want. *one-color or two color system*

I never really found any OUT OF THIS WORLD armor texture mods for Oblivion. Just mods that added armor, or augmented them in a small way. Still, it will be the people's choice!

Only way I can think of alleviating this is if you can figure out a way to detect a tagged file like the normalmap files, as in utilize something like a grayscale map with _dye or _color at the end in order to determine where the colors would be applied. The meshes would likely need vertex shaders for it to work as well.

ziitch that went completely over my head! :P

Are you saying there is a way to 'tag' certain sections (that I can custom create) of a texture/mesh and that after a bit of scripting work, I can make it so when the player uses a dye it is applied to the corresponding area on the texture?

I wouldn't have to pre-create ALL the various color combinations would I? I wish there was a better way than creating over 9,000 new textures...I can't do it I don't think

What I'm suggesting works on the same premise that glow maps did in Oblivion. Those used Emissive colors, but for dyeing that might need vertex color properties, or you might get lucky and find that you can have it run off the mesh's Diffuse color.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...