Small 3DS Max Question

I'm tooling around in 3DS Max working on some settlement objects but I can't seem to make the the program display the texture of the model I have loaded. When I installed the NifTools plugin I did set the model/materials/textures folders to the folder that contains all of them. Did I have to select each individual folder? The instructions only mentioned the root directory. If I do have to change the folders, can I change them without having to reinstall the plugin?

You have to configure the user paths in Customize>Configure User Paths and have them point towards the folders where you keep your extracted meshes/textures/materials.

https://gyazo.com/7f0fc2635603f8afbeeaf7dbc8e7379d

On a side note, I thing you're supposed to use material editor since 2013 with beth's plugin cannot display materials correctly anyway. Nevertheless, that's how paths need to look like - complete, pointing to a folder with EXTRACTED data (not to the game's ba2's).

Oh, I need to put in every single folder! Gotcha. I was just putting in the root. Thank you.

I have extracted all the files using the B.A.E. utility. I have not used Material Editor yet as I don't know what it's for. I do have it, though.

No need to check each folder - just make sure that, when selecting a folder (eg. SetDressing) you have the "Include folders and subfolders" thing checked.

The material editor is used for what the name says :)

Oh, I need to put in every single folder! Gotcha. I was just putting in the root. Thank you.

I have extracted all the files using the B.A.E. utility. I have not used Material Editor yet as I don't know what it's for. I do have it, though.

No need to check each folder - just make sure that, when selecting a folder (eg. SetDressing) you have the "Include folders and subfolders" thing checked.

The material editor is used for what the name says :smile:

Oh my god, so glad am I that you said that because here I am with the mxp file open in Notepad++ adding each directory by hand because it's faster than adding them individually in the context window. xD

I don't even really know what a material is, I'm used to just meshes and textures. But I'm not even at that point yet.

A material is a json file. It is used for F4 to tell the game what sets of textures to load, as well as a host of other properties it allows to set inside it. Not sure material editor allows you to edit actual materials, since I never used it :)

A material is a json file. It is used for F4 to tell the game what sets of textures to load, as well as a host of other properties it allows to set inside it. Not sure material editor allows you to edit actual materials, since I never used it :smile:

Well, I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the insight with Max. :)

A material is a json file. It is used for F4 to tell the game what sets of textures to load, as well as a host of other properties it allows to set inside it. Not sure material editor allows you to edit actual materials, since I never used it :smile:

The vanilla game's material files are actually not JSON, they've been compiled into a binary format.

My Material Editor program also only saves them in the binary format, while Bethesda's material editor saves them in only the JSON format.

My material editor:

- loads binary and JSON

- saves binary

Beth's material editor:

- loads binary and JSON

- saves JSON

I like having the final file be binary more, takes less time to parse for the engine.