Playable Dragon race request

Aedred

Istaria

This thread made me think immediately of Istaria. If you ever played Istaria, they had a pure playable dragon race. You started off as a baby dragon, then you grew into an adult dragon at lvl 30. Once you were an adult dragon you could fly wherever you pleased. Once you hit lvl 90, you could be an ancient dragon (which was accomplished by doing a series of quests). Baby dragons could fit through doors, so that wasn't a problem. Once you were an adult and could no longer fit inside of doorways, you did a series of quests to get a humanoid form. This was a toggle-able skill with no cooldowns or timers.

Made for Skyrim?

We can get rid of baby dragons, or keep them for when you start out. The baby dragons in Istaria had breath attacks and claw attacks (plus tail whip). They also had armor for their head, tail, chest, and wings. So in Skyrim, you could start off as a baby dragon, and once you hit lvl 30, you grow into an adult dragon where you learn how to fly and get a humanoid form for when you need it. Also, in Skyrim, once you hit lvl 50 you could grow into an ancient dragon (which is basically a bigger adult dragon with stronger attacks).

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading this topic and i am looking forward for this mod to be out. I like the idea of being a Dragon forever in there but there will be problems with quests so you will have to make the storyline for the Dragons and it will be a long time costing. About the idea of the shout that can turn you into a dragon yeah that idea is way better but what i don't like in it it's a times for 5 minutes why not until you use this shout again? I like all ideas for this mod to become reality. :thumbsup:

I'm imagining the role playing here, and, at least how I'm imagining things, it would be a bit difficult.

I'm just thinking of an entire city running in terror as you smash your head through a wall so you can ask about a fence at the thieves guild...

I'm guessing it would be easier if there were a questline devoted solely to playing as a dragon. If a team starts on this ambitious project, there's no doubt it could be truly awesome. :thumbsup:

I'm thinkin that for the town and dungeon stuff maybe yoh sould transform into a a human, or mabe a better fit would be an argonian/humanoid dragon and the rest of the time you could just cruise around in your natural awe inspiring, devastatingly powerful form

Istaria

This thread made me think immediately of Istaria. If you ever played Istaria, they had a pure playable dragon race. You started off as a baby dragon, then you grew into an adult dragon at lvl 30. Once you were an adult dragon you could fly wherever you pleased. Once you hit lvl 90, you could be an ancient dragon (which was accomplished by doing a series of quests). Baby dragons could fit through doors, so that wasn't a problem. Once you were an adult and could no longer fit inside of doorways, you did a series of quests to get a humanoid form. This was a toggle-able skill with no cooldowns or timers.

Made for Skyrim?

We can get rid of baby dragons, or keep them for when you start out. The baby dragons in Istaria had breath attacks and claw attacks (plus tail whip). They also had armor for their head, tail, chest, and wings. So in Skyrim, you could start off as a baby dragon, and once you hit lvl 30, you grow into an adult dragon where you learn how to fly and get a humanoid form for when you need it. Also, in Skyrim, once you hit lvl 50 you could grow into an ancient dragon (which is basically a bigger adult dragon with stronger attacks).

There's a MUD that I used to play called Dragon's Gate. That game was awesome for role playing :mellow: . Basically during the early to middle years of a Dragon's life, they could equip armor, but when they reached the status of an Elder and Imperial/Ancient Dragon, they could no longer benefit from armor, as their own natural armor was far superior to that of the equip-able types.

I'm thinkin that for the town and dungeon stuff maybe yoh sould transform into a a human, or mabe a better fit would be an argonian/humanoid dragon and the rest of the time you could just cruise around in your natural awe inspiring, devastatingly powerful form

Not sure how people that mod playable dragons would handle this, but as far as being bipedal goes it'd be great to, when necessary, be able to play as any one of the races that we can choose from in the character creation process at the start of the game, for the sake of having options when times like going in to caves and other interiors come up. :turned:

Edit: There was a curious implementation of "leveling" in the Werewolf: The Awakening mod. During the animal state, the experience gained was not tied to the characters humanoid form, but a portion of the stat bonuses would carry over which was really awesome :tongue:

Edited by Aedred

I totally agree upon a playable dragon, I am not sure however on the whole dragon race however. Considering you would have to rewrite everything from the beginning of character customization, to the end of the game in story wise stuff. However, here's my idea on it. I have already posted a topic on it but again here's my idea on being able to transform into a dragon, maybe a special race needed to be one. Being the Dragon-Born, you absorb souls of dragons, then be able to talk, and fight like they do, however, why not use a shout to transform into them? Sure it would need a lot of balancing if people would think that would give to much power to the player, but it would not be easy to get. A massive new intricate quest of even finding the dragon stones to teach you the words would involve dragon conspiracy that would add to the game, (maybe some human dragon lovers thing who knows.) Into the design of these dragon stones. Problem is though, even if you get the words, each word not only needs more then one dragon shout, it needs multiple, maybe such as ten to unlock the first, fifty to unlock the second, and finally one hundred to unlock the final word. Cooler thing is though, not only is each shout cause a longer span of time to be a dragon, but gives you a different form. Example being, first part of the shout would cause you to become a Frost Dragon, Second part Elder Dragon. And third, and my favorite idea, a similiar Alduin, some different textures needed not to look exact but a powerful Dovahkiin Alduin dragon to fight with. Which would explain why one hundred dragon souls would be needed.

I support the dragon race, but maybe narrowing it down to a powerful thu'um would make is easy to enter out and in of cities without being a massive creature of destruction and everyone panicking.

Unless the race has a fully playable human like version form, its pretty retarded not because of towns, just because of the fact that dragons cant enter dungeons because they wont fit, with a very few exceptions in some chambers. Then again, I dont see the fun in being a dragon all the time unless its a half elf/man and half dragon race, because as a pure dragon, all you would be able to do would be fly around and breath stuff on people - maybe fight other dragons? But thats about it, pretty sure it gets old really fast.

So basically, anthro Dragon race = Win

Pure Dragon race to play the game properly = retarded unless your fun scope is really narrow

Unless the race has a fully playable human like version form, its pretty retarded not because of towns, just because of the fact that dragons cant enter dungeons because they wont fit, with a very few exceptions in some chambers. Then again, I dont see the fun in being a dragon all the time unless its a half elf/man and half dragon race, because as a pure dragon, all you would be able to do would be fly around and breath stuff on people - maybe fight other dragons? But thats about it, pretty sure it gets old really fast.

So basically, anthro Dragon race = Win

Pure Dragon race to play the game properly = retarded unless your fun scope is really narrow

With Budz42 and many others efforts being put into developing a mod involving playable dragons, with a humanoid counterpart. I'm pretty sure you'll have fun in some way. The intention though, of this request, is for a playable Dragon race mod, to play as a Dragon and have all the things that they use against me as the Dovahkin. My thoughts on what I'd like to see remain the same. While I do see the point in having some half dragon/half humanoid character, it's not the intention of this request and I've never had the urge to play as one =\

I am not sure however on the whole dragon race however. Considering you would have to rewrite everything from the beginning of character customization, to the end of the game in story wise stuff.

Yeah I had contemplated the technicalities of that kind of implementation, that's when the idea came into my head to just fade out after the generic character creation part. That way when you start the game, with maybe a choice box after character creation with the different dragon types (Blood, Frost, and Flame Dragons are some of the default types) for a starter mod, you'd be given at a later time, the ability to change into the bipedal race that you created during the character creation phase at the beginning.

maybe narrowing it down to a powerful thu'um would make is easy to enter out and in of cities without being a massive creature of destruction and everyone panicking.

This is one of the ideas that came from some of the discussion in this thread. :happy: I initially called it magic as a means of transforming into whatever race you created at the character select screen, but Dragon Shouts are considered power incarnate and as such, using a Dragon shout to become one of bipedal race seems like a really great way to implement it.

Sooo in short, I love that idea :teehee:

Edited by Aedred

Ok Aedred, so if youre talking about this pure dragon race, instead of dungeons and those types of locations, what are we to explore as full fledged dragons? I mean, it sounds fun, but how does it become a deep experience other than flying/attacking people and dragons and lvling up?

Ok Aedred, so if youre talking about this pure dragon race, instead of dungeons and those types of locations, what are we to explore as full fledged dragons? I mean, it sounds fun, but how does it become a deep experience other than flying/attacking people and dragons and lvling up?

In the first post in this thread, I mentioned giving the player the ability to change into a bipedal creature to circumvent this issue. It's been done in other mods that I've mentioned. At the present time I have no doubt that this isn't going to be an issue, even though the Creation Kit hasn't been released yet. :happy:

Edit: I suppose the experience I seek is something similar to Werewolf: The Awakening. I don't know if you'd call that a "deep" experience, but I had a lot of fun with it, among other mods like Terran Vampires, which is still in development I believe. :turned:

Edited by Aedred