Skyrim is Very Disappointing, A Major Let-Down.

David Brasher

Just took a stroll through Oblivion and realized how open it felt compared to the cramped spaces in Skyrim. Mountains didn't block my way so often. It was fun to explore through swimming. The streets were wider. The horses actually felt useful. I get the feeling in Skyrim, they sacrificed too much open space in order to accommodate the added detail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my pc runs skyrim at 60-70 fsp on ultra settings, the problems I get are from ctds caused by bloody steam popups etc. whenever it ctds there is an advert for some other steam game staring at me from my monitor. I hate steam, I hate the fact that you have to log in, and when you do sometimes it wont load unless you restart the computer. If beth ever release another game on steam, I wont buy it on principle. You have to have the sound card settings just right or it wont load....pain!

I like a lot about the game, but it appears to have been designed like a commitee rather than a visionary. still the asking price was reasonable (pc) when compared to some ps3 games. I wont say it is a let down, not by any means - just too many mountains and not enough grassland.

That's what I really hate about Steam; I don't mind anything else, since it hasn't affected me yet. What I hate is that it puts a time limit on your games, nearly as surely as you're limited in how long you'll be able to play any MMO. Which, btw, is why I don't really play MMOs. Someday you'll get the message "yeah, sorry, we're going offline" and suddenly the last five hundred hours of your free time is gone.

@discovery1

The available offline mode is the solution for most, I personally never play any RPG/single player game while plugged in anyway because it only contributes to crashes and poor performance regardless of FPS. I really like your images btw :)

~ultimately, someone at BS suggested StupidSteam and the senior staff there obviously endorsed this crap and now unfortunately here we are...

@Balakirev

Nope, only the lame accomplishments would be lost, Skyrim can be played exclusively offline once enabled (as default) indefinitely as I've done since v1.21 on my new game/movie laptop.

It can be played offline, but I'm worried that even offline mode could be (in theory) removed or disabled if Steam was to ever intentionally be retired. If you kept it in offline mode forever though, it would have no way of knowing... so that's good :)

@true highlander, I did not realise there was an offline mode, doh!

I will have a look and give it a try. The whole thing will be better when merp appears on it!

thanks for the comments on my images - I havent had much time lately to post due to work and drinking commitments!

@BalakirevNope, only the lame accomplishments would be lost, Skyrim can be played exclusively offline once enabled (as default) indefinitely as I've done since v1.21 on my new game/movie laptop.

I think you're writing about something else. We're discussing that the game must load through Steam. You're discussing offline mode. Yes, you can play Skyrim in offline mode, but it must load Steam first before lauching its executables. This means that if Steam goes down, you can't play any games you've purchased through it, whether in online or offline mode. I've tried loading Skyrim's pair of executables, TESV and SkyrimLauncher, by themselves, but these always load Steam and then piggyback themselves on it. If you know a way to avoid loading Steam, I'm sure it would be interesting to everyone, including myself. :)

'And consider the joys of knowing that, if for any reason, Steam goes offline--whether from hackers, or power outages, or simply going belly up--there goes your game.' '

B, I'm just going off this particular statement which is vague and also essentially incorrect, and yes I'm quite aware of what's being discussed. Basically, I'm stating there's another level of control as there are executables that can easily load the game without said online dependencies. Hey, I hate using Steam and using a 3rd party launcher regardless of the version I use is certainly not wrong in my books. Totally avoiding Steam in my purchased game, which I haven't... would be kinda illegal, no? ;) Always telling people what they want to hear is not my forte...

@discovery1

Cheers amigo and have fun! I'm doing the same and please try posting some images and I'll do likewise! :)

Thread reply: I'm still playing (offline) v1.21 with no issues after many hours played, I did have a CTD the other day though... just after start-up.

'And consider the joys of knowing that, if for any reason, Steam goes offline--whether from hackers, or power outages, or simply going belly up--there goes your game.' '

B, I'm just going off this particular statement which is vague and also essentially incorrect, and yes I'm quite aware of what's being discussed. Basically, I'm stating there's another level of control as there are executables that can easily load the game without said online dependencies. Hey, I hate using Steam and using a 3rd party launcher regardless of the version I use is certainly not wrong in my books. Totally avoiding Steam in my purchased game, which I haven't... would be kinda illegal, no? ;) Always telling people what they want to hear is not my forte...

Nor apparently is backing up a statement such as "A is vague and incorrect" by showing that A was in fact vague (it wasn't) and incorrect (it wasn't). ;) Simply put: What are those executables you mention that allow you to load Skyrim without having any connection to the Web? There are two executables: TES4.exe, and SkyrimLauncher.exe. Disabling the Web (as I did just a minute ago) means that neither can launch, since each tries to launch Steam first, and fails.

In other words, if Steam itself fails, for the reasons I've specifically outlined above or others, Skyrim will not launch. This isn't vague, nor is it incorrect. It is clear, and accurate. If I'm wrong, please state how, rather than just stating, "You're wrong." :)

Totally avoiding Steam in my purchased game, which I haven't... would be kinda illegal, no?

Under what legal condition would that be? If you've already purchased the game, is there anything in that contract that requires you to run it through Steam, and states penalities that will occur if you do otherwise? If you haven't checked, you don't know, and a leading question isn't a matter of fact in itself. ;)

Consider this question while you're reading your Steam agreement, and really look for an answer, because you might for it interesting: do you actually own the software you buy on Steam?