Skyrim is Very Disappointing, A Major Let-Down.

David Brasher

It's hardly the game's fault that it doesn't run on your old PC. That's like bringing a ride-on lawn mower to a NASCAR race and then blaming NASCAR for your inglorious humiliation.

Where does David say that his PC is old, and not a relatively recent one?

We can speculate, because I have a relatively new one, and it runs Skyrim smoothly with texture and lighting mods.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be played offline, but I'm worried that even offline mode could be (in theory) removed or disabled if Steam was to ever intentionally be retired. If you kept it in offline mode forever though, it would have no way of knowing... so that's good :)

Hopefully, if Steam goes offline, they'll release patches for all of their games to allow them to be played without Steam. Probably will never happen, though. . .

It's hardly the game's fault that it doesn't run on your old PC. That's like bringing a ride-on lawn mower to a NASCAR race and then blaming NASCAR for your inglorious humiliation.

Where does David say that his PC is old, and not a relatively recent one?

We can speculate, because I have a relatively new one, and it runs Skyrim smoothly with texture and lighting mods.

Only Vindekarr's "joke" wasn't based on speculation--it was an assumption. And if you check in the technical assistance section for Skyrim on the official forums, you'll find that a lack of consistency: some people with new systems running Skyrim easily, others having lots of problems.

Mind, Bethsoft isn't alone in facing these issues, and I have some sympathy for them. The PC side of life has always prided itself upon open architecture, so there are a lot of configurations possible with CPU, RAM, video cards, OS, etc. My only point was that David's system wasn't automatically old(er) just because he's having trouble running Skyrim. A number of people boasting of new systems are in fact having difficulty. :)

Consider this question while you're reading your Steam agreement, and really look for an answer, because you might for it interesting: do you actually own the software you buy on Steam?

And have some smelling salts ready when you do that...

Indeed. :D Still, if one wants to discuss Steam, a development house, and a game purchaser, it helps to know what the contract states.

I didn't buy Skyrim from Steam; I bought it from Gamestop. If I don't own it simply because it requires Steam activation, me and Steam are going to have... issues.

Unfortunately if you read the EULA on any software (even that bought as a disk from a brick and mortar establishment) you will see that all you have purchased is a license to use the software. Your money has only bought you the right to use ... you own squat.

Unfortunately if you read the EULA on any software (even that bought as a disk from a brick and mortar establishment) you will see that all you have purchased is a license to use the software. Your money has only bought you the right to use ... you own squat.

Though in this case, some people believe that Steam hold the software ownership, which isn't the case.

Made me laugh out loud. My thoughts exactly; My rig is mid to low range on the market right now with a 5770, and it runs Skyrim at about Medium with no hiccups.

I've been pc gaming for years now, and I've learned a valuable lesson to avoid disappointment; Pick up a game, enjoy it, and whenever your next natural PC buy occurs, boot the game up again and marvel at how far it's come.

Case in point; my PC would barely run Half Life 2 when it first came out; I bought the one 3 years ago that came before this one, and had a blast with it. The same is true for Oblivion here; last rig barely, this one fairly well, and the next one should blow it out of the water. Skyrim will be no different.

I really don't get all the complaints about Skyrim's requirements. They are almost the same as Oblivion's - a 2006 game! For a 2011 game, it's really very forgiving. Just don't crank all your settings up to the max.

Try playing Metro 2033, STALKER or just Crysis on most rigs that run Skyrim on high no problem...