Things that Need to be Changed

xDemonJohn

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of realism and immersion in games such as this, which is why I will be making a realism mod once the Creation set is released. But precisely for that reason, as an offhand weapon is used for parrying, not blocking, it must be less effective at the job than the outright blocking. I am not opposed to dual wield block as such, just think that if it is introduced, it must be made weaker than, say, a 2H block.

Blocking with one one handed weapon should be weaker then a 2h weapon block, however there is no reason why blocking with 2 1h weapons in an X should be weaker. But only for equal size weapons, maybe if you get a perk for all.

Parrying would still be nice to have. Maybe if you attack with your offhand weapon at the same time your opponent attacks you will parry and neither of you will do damage. What dual wield will not/should not block are arrows and that's quite important as a balance feature.

Medieval dual wielding didn't happen in reality all that much, in real battles, since armor and shields made slashes rather harmless, knights battered(rather then killed) each other into submission with large heavy weapons. The 1h sword was usually used to cut down, unarmored peasant, stabs at armor weak points, parade and more importantly as a companion to the shield since you needed a weapon when you finally reached those damned archers.

Real life dual wielding, which only became somewhat widespread during the Renaissance mostly in civilian fights, involved a long blade in one hand and a short blade in the other, mostly used for parrying and/or trapping the opponents blade (what is mostly called Florentine).

Florentine in Belegarth is one of the few styles that use equal size weapons (that's a modern developed style) .

"The main flaw of dual-wielding versus other styles, on the other hand, is that using two weapons requires keeping track of far more variables in terms of range and available attacks, which makes training especially lengthy and difficult for a lot of the same reasons juggling is difficult for most people — the human brain isn't really wired to simultaneously operate both hands independently. Defending against thrusts with a weapon is more difficult than it would be with a shield. It also does not work too well in anything other than personal combat — it does not work well in formation on the battlefield due to the amount of room required to wield both weapons, it does not have the range or power advantage of a two-handed weapon or the defensive utility of a shield, and it offers precious little protection against archers and other ranged attackers. "tvtropes

Edited by Palora

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list since everyone's running into it:

- Companion & Horse UI: can call them up, tell them to meet somewhere, load them up with items (even horse), sort what they wear, use horse as pack mule, send them to town to sell stuff, and have a hotkey for "wait here", "do this" as well as "manage inventory" (F1, F2, F3, F4 would be great). The number of times I've died because my "companion" is blocking the way out, "bowing" stuff, while I'm being chased by 2 VERY angry saber cats and whatnot...it's not even funny.

- General UI overhaul: Current one is nice and all but man, it's NOT mouse friendly. Biggest grip so far with the game.

- Inventory overhaul: Need sorting options (value, weight, quality, alpha).

- Quickkeys revamped: Would be nice to hotkey using alt and shift as well. 8 slots for hotkeys is not enough, especially when you're playing an utility mage.

- Temperature realism mod: Need to keep track of ambient temperature, wetness (if you go in water at some point, etc) and need to be REALLY deadly, with ways to fight against cold. Swimming naked in a Fjord in iron armor is not really....well, real. Would be nice to have fur overcoats, fire to raise body temperature, etc.

- Food/water/sleep realism mod, like the ones for fallout 3. As it is now, you can go from 1 to 50 without even eating or sleeping once.

- Cart companion: ability to hire a cart driver or some sort that follows you around (normal horse pace, no running) and that you can load up with stuff.

- Vault/Bank system/guild: If you don't want/need a house, no way to store stuff safely. Would be nice to have some sort of private vault that you can rent in the holds' capitals, and where you can store stuff. Of course, vaults are not linked.

- Jarl's position. Massive mod but if you're a Nord, would be nice to be able to challenge Jarls, take over their hold, etc.

- Imperial vs Stormcloaks overhaul: Ranks in both, as you raise in ranks, you must lead raids on some places (can use bandit forts and towers as control points, so many of them).

- Settler mod: as in Fallout, would be neat to just be able to settle somewhere and depending on how you do, people would come. Fight of bandit raids, set taxes, build store and farms, etc. Or just build yourself a cabin somewhere for your peace and quiet.

- separate jewellery from equipment in item menu.

The inventory is a bit messy with all the stuff gathered

- an hide helmet option.

An aesthetical mod, would be nice to not seeing the helm that totally hide your face =)

- an option so that your horse doesn't attack at sight.

My horse have courage, he can fight a Dragon, a big group of ennemy, but i don't wan't him too -.-, can't he just stay where i drop and wait me till i killed mob?

- less realistic, but more conveniant, make horse to pull back without having to make some step ahead (and fall from the mountain ...).

Edited by Memoris

What I would love to see (other than what's already been mentioned regarding UI and other things) is hot-keys actually casting the spells rather than having to equip them. I'm surprised no one's complained about the spell system in Skyrim--it has to be one of the worst I've played in a game, which is really unfortunate.

The concept of having to equip spells makes little sense to me, and even less when it's spells like Healing or Warding spells. What is the point? I'd just like to have a sword in my main hand, maybe a firebolt or lightning bolt in my other hand, and be able to heal, ward, shoot flames, etc. by just clicking the hot-key, not having to bloody equip a spell. It totally ruins magic combat for me, which is my primary preference for combat in any game.

It also makes a lot more sense when concerning the combination of same type of spells: I have Firebolt equipped, but I also have to equip Flames if I want to shoot a stream of fire instead? And also equip Fire Rune just to put one down? What were Bethesda thinking!

for the record anyone who complains about the key bindings for the mouse its the exact same as it was for oblivion right mouse is block and left is attack its only confusing if you use dual wield weapons or magic but yeah I agree with everyone mainly the UI the map and the damned buggy mouse needs fixing but please bare in mind that the games just came out it is going to be updated and the best thing about bethesda is that they give us the tools to customize the game to our hearts content

Gosh, what a lot of complaints already! Well, here're my two septims.

The mouse lag problem NEEDS to be fixed ASAP! It's forcing me to play in 3rd person so I do get to see more of my pretty character, but I want 1st person to be my primary POV.

The map is a real disappointment - it's hard to navigate and visually awkward. I'd be much happier with a digital reproduction of my paper map.

That's all for now. The 'extra races' and 'different weapons' requests seem a bit premature to me. This isn't Morrowind or Oblivion. If it was, I'd like to mismatch my armour on a left pauldron, greaves, right boot kind of scale, like Morrowind. I'll only think about those kind of mods once I've played through a substantial part of the game.

Edited by Kaashlikau

Glad to see that most of my points already being sad but i want to repeat them anyway:

- Cut that UI out! COMPLETLY! Except for the map and the perk-menu maybe. They are looking pretty cool imo.

- Companion improvments: Since Skyrim has now some default code for companions, modders can work with, we can get that thing to the next level. I think many of you know the RPG's from Bioware and i don't see any point why we wouldn't want that gameplay as an optional feature. Means: Full integration of companions in one new UI. Equip them per UI. With a better AI aka more options to tell them things. I don't think we have to get to the point where you can programm your own tactics for them but there defenitly need to be some improvments! Maybe be able to switch the active played chracter. Not necessary but would be cool. Also of course play as a little squad of maybe 3 or 4 people. Of course you should also be able to play alone if you want.

As a last nonplusultra but not really necessary would a integrated storythingy be very cool. Make some voiceovers. But that we all know that this probably never going to happen.