How do you install mods for a STEAM game?

Vindekarr

I'm having problems with figuring out this as well.

I'm trying to install the prettier faces mod and the fixed nose mod, but i dont know where to place the "Data" folder.

There is already a "data" folder with lots of "bsa" files as the above person mentioned.

Can someone help out a noob like me with step by step? :P

The faces mod is a texture replacer, so it will have a 'textures' folder inside the Data folder. Drag and drop that 'textures' folder inside your Skyrim Data folder where the BSA files are.

I think i got both to work now. I loaded skyrim, and i couldnt see any blockish faces anymore.

But when i press "data files" in under options in skyrim launcher, neither of the prettier faces or nose fix mods shows up, only "skyrim.esm". is this intended?

The faces mod is a texture replacer, so it will have a 'textures' folder inside the Data folder. Drag and drop that 'textures' folder inside your Skyrim Data folder where the BSA files are.

I think i got both to work now. I loaded skyrim, and i couldnt see any blockish faces anymore.

But when i press "data files" in under options in skyrim launcher, neither of the prettier faces or nose fix mods shows up, only "skyrim.esm". is this intended?

Yes, that is normal. Only plugins (ESM or ESP) show up in the Data Files to be enabled or disabled. Since we don't have the creation kit yet, we can't make plugins.

Ahh.. thanks :) I think i mixed up all the "grayed out data files" posts ive seen and assumed there was something wrong with mods not showing up in data files in launcher. I guess the mods work, and my "data files" isnt greyed out either ;)

see this is what i mean by there are no folders and there are .bsa files. when i drag and drop like normal (yes iv modded the s*** out or both morowind and oblivion) it just creates a new foled called textures. there are no folders here like there use to. how can i edit these .bsa files to add the mods to them or would that even work?

see this is what i mean by there are no folders and there are .bsa files. when i drag and drop like normal (yes iv modded the s*** out or both morowind and oblivion) it just creates a new foled called textures. there are no folders here like there use to. how can i edit these .bsa files to add the mods to them or would that even work?

also keep in mind i never used steam before. never liked the idea of steam in the first place. so im total noob to moodding steam games if there is even any thing difrent. but from what i can tell only the file path is a bit difrent then traditional wich i know the directory to the game

I've just installed Skyrim. The structure ISN'T like Oblivion. The data folder has no sub-folders. The meshes are all in a single 1.4 Gb file ! So where do the mods go ? And why do others think the stucture is different ?

Er...the file structure is the same. Oblivion stored the files in BSA's too. Extracted files follow the same folder structure as Oblivion.

It's always been like that. You need to make the "meshes" "textures" and "sounds" folders. It's not difficult? :)