Need some help with Thieves Guild quests.

Nalixor

Hey guys. I think I've run into a very large, very annoying bug. But I am also entertaining the possibility that I am doing something wrong. So I've done the steal ring/reverse pickpocket ring bit for Brind-whatshisname, he gave me a quest to get money from three shopkeepers. I did all of that without brawling/killing any of them (found out about the lizard's family, stole the statue from the other chick, and stood near the dwemer vase), and got their money. I went back to Brind-whatshisname and I handed the quest in, we talk a bit, and the last thing he says is along the lines of "why don't you follow me so I can show you what we're really all about". He gets up, walks out the back to the Ratway Cistern and I follow him in there. But once I get in there I am tresspassing and the thieves all attack me and I die, and even when I fight back two are unkillable. If Brind-whatshisface leaves into the Cistern, and I don't follow, none of the thieves in the tavern will talk to me. Vex won't give me my Thieves Guild uniform, or anything.

Did I do something wrong, or is this some really annoying bug? Reloading didn't help. I think I just about tried everything I could think of. I made a Khajiit for the express purpose of joining the Thieves Guild, and I have something like 30 hours played over the last two days before I came to the Thieves Guild stuff, I really don't want to restart.

I'm playing the PC version too, in case someone knows some kind of console hackery to fix this. If it's a bug. :/

I just tried to do this quest. Here's what happened in MY game: I found the Ratway and several people tried their best to kill me. Some of them had names. I killed them all. I finally found Bryn ... what's-his-name ... and he told me that I was SUPPOSED to be attacked as some sort of test. At least that's how I interpreted it. He gave me another mission.

THEN ... I tried to get out of the Ratway again. I tried and tried and tried. I couldn't find the way out. No matter where I went, I kept ending up at the place where Bryn-what's-his-name was. I had to go back to a previous save. Thank goodness I had two saves.

I don't know if it was just me, or if my game has a glitch that's preventing me from exiting the Ratway. Maybe I was just running around in circles.

Edited by Snowsong

It's still happening to me as well. And it's way past the point where I could reload before starting the thieves guild quests. I've been doing some research, and I know how to force the quest to complete via the console using the setstage command, but I have no idea how to give myself/start the next quest in the line.

I also checked to see if the game thought I was trespassing when I entered the cistern using player.istrespassing and it returned a value of 1, meaning that I was. I'm pretty sure that's not meant to happen. From reading the wiki, I'm supposed to complete, follow Brynjolf to the Cistern, and then get the next quest from the main Thieves Guild dude at the table with the map. But instead I am flagged as trespassing and the guys in the tavern act as if I didn't complete Taking Care of Business at all. The lady who was meant to give me my uniform doesn't, and they keep saying things like "Come talk to me after you've finished with Brynjolf" and stuff.

Does anyone know how to give yourself a quest via the console? I know the quest ID for the second quest (TG02). So maybe if I can give myself that quest things might be able to continue as planned.

I also tried changing my faction rank via the console for various thieves guild factions (the game uses factions for everything). And that didn't help either. And I have no idea how to use the GetFactionReation command, since it's obviously looking for some kind of parameter I am not aware of. It could be that it's not a PC command. :/

I've been trying to find out how to get this to work for days to no avail. Player.questreset TG01 doesn't do anything either. In fact, questreset doesn't seem to do anything at all as far as I can tell. And I always load after my experiements just in case the commands do something that isn't immediately obvious to screw up my game.

• 5 months later...
I, too, am having this same issue. I'm getting very fed up with this game lately. My 75 hour save just randomly won't work and I restarted just the other day and am 20 hours in and finally got back to the thieves guild. The only problem is Brynjolf's introduction in the Ratway Cistern doesn't trigger. I am considered trespassing every time. I would love any help. I do mod the game but there are no gameplay altering mods, only item mods which, I'd think, shouldn't make a difference to the actual world loading properly.

It's still happening to me as well. And it's way past the point where I could reload before starting the thieves guild quests. I've been doing some research, and I know how to force the quest to complete via the console using the setstage command, but I have no idea how to give myself/start the next quest in the line.

I also checked to see if the game thought I was trespassing when I entered the cistern using player.istrespassing and it returned a value of 1, meaning that I was. I'm pretty sure that's not meant to happen. From reading the wiki, I'm supposed to complete, follow Brynjolf to the Cistern, and then get the next quest from the main Thieves Guild dude at the table with the map. But instead I am flagged as trespassing and the guys in the tavern act as if I didn't complete Taking Care of Business at all. The lady who was meant to give me my uniform doesn't, and they keep saying things like "Come talk to me after you've finished with Brynjolf" and stuff.

Does anyone know how to give yourself a quest via the console? I know the quest ID for the second quest (TG02). So maybe if I can give myself that quest things might be able to continue as planned.

I also tried changing my faction rank via the console for various thieves guild factions (the game uses factions for everything). And that didn't help either. And I have no idea how to use the GetFactionReation command, since it's obviously looking for some kind of parameter I am not aware of. It could be that it's not a PC command. :/

I've been trying to find out how to get this to work for days to no avail. Player.questreset TG01 doesn't do anything either. In fact, questreset doesn't seem to do anything at all as far as I can tell. And I always load after my experiements just in case the commands do something that isn't immediately obvious to screw up my game.

I've solved my problem. I unchecked EVERYTHING in data files, i didnt load anything but the skyrim.esm i even unchecked the update.esm. The quest engaged properly and then i saved and exited and rechecked all my datafiles.

@ Malixor: It really sounds like a mod conflict of some kind. I've done the Thieves Guild questline six times and never had any problem with this phase of it.

I'm not aware of a "questreset" command for this game. The proper command to use to reset the quest is "resetquest tg01". Try doing that and following it up with "setstage tg01 50". This should put you at the point in the quest where you are supposed to return to Brynjolf.

You might also consider examining all your mods and see if any of them change anything related to the Thieves Guild or the Ratway. If so, disable them before attempting to return.

@ Snowsong: The Ratway can be a little confusing at first. The first time I did it I was hopelessly lost, too. You'll reach a point at which you can see part of the area where you entered (keep an eye on your map). This is the room right after the one where two thugs attack you right after you enter the Ratway. There's a drawbridge that you have to let down by pulling a lever. Once down, it will stay down, leaving you with a shortcut, so you don't have to drop down to the lower level and wind your way through the tunnels.

Had exactly this same problem, saved before talking to brynjolf, quit, disabled all mods, reloaded; the next part of the quest added properly so i saved, enabled mods, and now am no longer tresspassing after following him.

no idea which mod or mods was causing it (i have ~40 or so)