Follower questions

disi30

I have so long not played or just tested or always used a follower mod (AFT usually), what is the default vanilla behaviour?

There are several mods that change follower behaviour while they are actively following you, those should work just fine. I already tested a couple of them.

With NPC Protected Redux, you can remove level caps and set essential for all NPC/Followers, including Inconsequential and Interesting NPC.

Can I recruit someone, use My Home is Your Home to change their default place, dismiss and then recruit someone else without any mod that alters the dialoguefollower quest?

Can I recruit someone, change their stuff with Wardrobe Manager, dismiss them and then later rehire and they keep the stuff?

My plan is to have a headquarter (Volkihar usually) with some vampire followers and other dangerous folk.

One or two custom follower, like Vilja, Hoth or Aurlyn (all have their own quest to follow, Hoth needs Follower Compatibility to work with other followers).

Some custom Pet/Dog (from SPERG for example)

Then recruit ONE additional follower from my pool at the headquarters using the vanilla dialoguefollower quest in the game.

This is already 5 followers at the same time.

My Requirements:

1. Ability to have one normal follower like Lydia or someone from Interesting NPC or other mods that use the vanilla system

2. I should be able to set their home with My Home is Your Home to build up my headquarters

3. Ability to dismiss the current follower to the new home and ask another to follower me

I checked WyreBash and there is a variable to set the maximum companions. I tried it and while I had Janessa recruited, I could go up to that other Mercenary and get the Hire dialogue, but after I paid he refused to actively join. Without the variable, I will not get the dialogue to hire him.

So it does let you recruit more than one but not actively follow?

Is this all I need?

Why not use AFT in the first place?

It seems to bug more than usual recently, sometimes I get the Tweak spells, sometimes not, sometimes they would not wear their helmets, sometimes they do. The Hang out Here is the dismiss if you use My Home is Your Home? I always disable all the stat and heal boost anyway. Better Vampires already lets me convert NPC into undead followers. I do not need a bunch of dogs (Werewolves) following me. Never used it to change skills or abilities of followers. I do not need the horse or camp spawn ability.

It all gets a little complicated.

I was looking for a simple mod to allow multiply followers and there are none (the 'dumped down' EFF version does not work). The simplest of them all is already AFT.

If you're used with AFT, you could try iAFT (Immersive AFT), but only if you start a new game. It's basically AFT with few tweaks and fixes. All vanilla follower system npc's are taken over by your follower mod usually, so if you dismiss them and then rerecruit them later, they all should have their armor and items what you gave them earlier.

iAFT should handle all vanilla or vanilla follower system npc's fine and My Home is You Home mod can recognize them all too. AFT/iAFT both should have rudimentary wardrobe manager built in too.

You certainly shouldn't try to use any kind follower mod on Vilja or Inigo type companions. They have their custom follower system, what works well and allows recruiting vanilla type follower even if you don't have any multifollower mod installed. Same with My Home is Your Home, I know that this dialogue appears on Vilja, but using it can break her brain. She has its own dialogue for home.

If you're used with AFT, you could try iAFT (Immersive AFT), but only if you start a new game. It's basically AFT with few tweaks and fixes. All vanilla follower system npc's are taken over by your follower mod usually, so if you dismiss them and then rerecruit them later, they all should have their armor and items what you gave them earlier.

iAFT should handle all vanilla or vanilla follower system npc's fine and My Home is You Home mod can recognize them all too. AFT/iAFT both should have rudimentary wardrobe manager built in too.

You certainly shouldn't try to use any kind follower mod on Vilja or Inigo type companions. They have their custom follower system, what works well and allows recruiting vanilla type follower even if you don't have any multifollower mod installed. Same with My Home is Your Home, I know that this dialogue appears on Vilja, but using it can break her brain. She has its own dialogue for home.

Thanks.

Thinking about it, the follower overhaul mods do not really change the follower themselves, they only change the follower quest by adding/removing them or have their own quest running like custom followers do and replace the vanilla follower quest entirely.

Meaning you are right, all the equipment for example should be stored on the NPC and not in the follower mod quest info.

I never AFTed Vilja either, this would just break them as you said.

Hence my problem, I will have 1-2 custom followers + maybe one active normal follower that is the only one I would manage with a follower overhaul. Why do I need a follower overhaul for one follower? :smile:

I plan on using and I know the implication or way to assign them (out of my head):

NPC Protected Redux -> ALL (Vanilla)

FCO -> ALL (Vanilla)

MFVM -> ALL (Vanilla)

Followers can Relax -> Dialogue

No weapon Draw -> ALL

Wardrobe Manager -> Dialogue

Better Stealth AI -> ALL/Dialogue

Simple Follower Mount -> ALL (members if the vanilla follower faction)

My Home is Your Home -> Dialogue

So all the Dialogue ones, can be assigned to individual followers.

The ALL ones are automatically assigned to all followers, yes even Vilja keeps her weapon sheathed with that mod :wink: (but it leaves no permanent damage I think.)

Nope... you don't need it for one follower. Bigger overhauls can maybe consolidate some of those features, but not all of them. Specially if you want to use Vilja and vanilla follower together, it's possible without any follower overhauls installed. All customs (Vilja, Inigo, Arissa, Sofia) have their own horses too. Only if you want to use two vanilla followers, you might need something whats expanding allowed companion amount.

And even if it's more personal preference, having too many with you at same time gets tiring :) For vanilla npc's http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4020/? is quite good too.

Nope... you don't need it for one follower. Bigger overhauls can maybe consolidate some of those features, but not all of them. Specially if you want to use Vilja and vanilla follower together, it's possible without any follower overhauls installed. All customs (Vilja, Inigo, Arissa, Sofia) have their own horses too. Only if you want to use two vanilla followers, you might need something whats expanding allowed companion amount.

And even if it's more personal preference, having too many with you at same time gets tiring :smile: For vanilla npc's http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4020/? is quite good too.

Thanks for the tip, totally forgot about that one and it is already needed with only ONE vanilla follower :wink:

Helmet only in combat (AFT feature):

I know Vilja has her own Wardrobe system that can bug out at times. From my personal experience, use her personal inventory sparsely, never just remove an item that is defined as her wardrobe or her formlists get corrupted and she will be naked most of the time and blame you for it ^^ If it works it is great and you can define an adventuring outfit without helmet and a combat outfit with helmet etc.

I hope I can replicate this with the Wardrobe Manager mod.

p.s. sorry to say this, but Wardrobe Manager works, then works not, shows dialogue, then not. I also had many crashes during testing, especially when trying to save. The author himself states 7k lines of code, this is a lot of script to run...

I am back to AFT :smile:

Only problem, with AFT installed I get a constant Pure Virtual Function Call every time I close the game.