Human enemy recognition problem. (playing as archer)

Molda

Hi, please can somene help me somehow with this? I am playing mostly as an archer, but i have trouble with this in skyrim, because human enemies are not shown on compas as red dots until you are very close to them and they see you. So when i am bit further away of them and want to shoot, i am often not sure if the human is enemy or if its some kind of peacefull NPC. Is there some way to see the names of the NPCs/enemies when pointing mouse cursor over them, for example while using bow, or some way to show red dots bit earlier or even if they dont see you?

Because the way it is right now, it kind of breaks the purpose of bows if i can't shoot from distance, because i fear i well may kill NPC that ould give me sidequest or sell something or whatever.

Thank you guys for answers.

While I agree it's a pretty big problem for archers, it's also kinda realistic and I've kinda gotten used to it. Most of the important NPC's shouldn't die if you shoot them, so it isn't a massive problem. You could always quicksave before you go see whether or not they are friendly. ;]

I am also often using quicksaves to somehow overcome this, but it really really breaks the atmosphere of the game for me. :sad: When i find enemy, he doesn't know about me and i can shoot him from distance, but i have to save, go to him, find out if he is friendly NPC or not and then load and kill him if he was enemy. Edited by Molda

Well i can see how this could be seen as realistic, but i just don't know. Archers are only deadly and useful when they have a distance between them and ememy. But in skyrim, you can't do that if you don't want to kill friendly NPCs, so the archer's advantage is simply not there, you have to shoot from close and enemy has to know of you. So the ranged combat kind of has no point then. If you need to be very close to NPC and make them see you to determine if he is friendly or not, you can just pretty much stick a sword in your hand and forget about being archer. Edited by Molda

i was just thinking about this subject about an hour ago, great minds think alike lol

As for the subject it is fairly annoying, my only thought would be, invest in the zooming skill as i just unlocked it, may help i think?

worth a shot ( pun intended )