[IDEA] Remaking the Companions.

DuskWulf

So I was greatly disappointed by the end of the Companions questline. And thus I have some thoughts as to how it could be improved with a continuation, one that would really do the plot idea some justice. This would all take place once the player is the Harbinger of the Champions, and it would centre around two quest lines.

It would be a choice, essentially.

The player would be presented with it and one of two mini-campaigns would spiral out from that point...

The Reclamation of Glory

The player opts to call lycanthropy a curse, and deigns that the Champions seek their freedom and vengeance upon Hircine. This quest has them seek out an aspect of Hircine, and upon its defeat, using some magicks acquired from somewhere (either from the Temple of Kynareth, or from that bloke whom the Jarl appointed as his court mage), they force one sole boon from Hircine.

The boon chosen is that lycanthropy, as a whole, is to be stricken from Skyrim so that there would be no more were-creatures. This removes all were-creatures from the levelled lists. And the promise from Hircine that he will never inflict this curse upon the peoples of Skyrim again.

The Champions would return to Whiterun to speak of this, that lycanthropy has been cured throughout the lands, and a statue would be erected in their honour near Jorrvaskr.

The Redemption of Wolves

In this take, the player opts to see lycanthropy as a gift, praising the boons it offers and seeing it as having become intrinsic to the identity of the Companions. However, Hircine's handling of it is perceived as a curse, and the thought is offered that perhaps Ysgramor could offer his aid.

The spirit of Ysgramor would task the player, to see if they truly believe that the gift of the wolf is truly a thing that a true nord would consider precious, and upon answering definitively, he would send them on a quest. This quest would see the player hunting an aspect of Hircine, a giant frost wolf, for its mane.

Upon returning the mane to Hircine, it would be blessed, and from there the Companions would have new armour made by Eorlund from it. This armour, when worn, grants a new wolf form.

- The wolf form is white, in comparison to the normal dark brown-furred beast form.

- The player can toggle on/off the beast form whenever they desire to.

- As a story aspect, when wearing this armour, the player would no longer feel the blood craving of Hircine's wolf.

Once this has been done, the Companions come before the Jarl of Whiterun to 'out' themselves as the lupine champions of Ysgramor. And the Jarl would give them his blessing to remain in wolf form unhindered by his guards whilst in Whiterun, and he'll send word that the White Wolves of Whiterun would only have swords risen against them if they wished to receive the ire of Whiterun as a whole.

The end result of this questline would be that players could use their new wolf form in Whiterun and people would treat them as if they weren't shifted. And after a period of time, all civilised settlements wouldn't attack them. Say... a month in-game?

Following on from there.

After this, the player would open the doors of the Companions to new recruits. A procedural system would be used to have new recruits show up which the player could then interview. If the player is pleased by them, then they can be accepted as trainees, and eventually companions. If the player chose to retain their lycanthropy, then recruits can also eventually receive the gift as well, to become one of the White Wolves of Whiterun.

Another functional element that would be nice is if the follower system were changed to allow up to three people to follow the player, and so that when the player shifted, anyone who'd been given the gift would shift with them. Imagine charging your foes as a pack of white werewolves. That would be something, wouldn't it?

This, of course, would require some effort to do, and probably quite a bit of voice acting. I'll just leave this here to see what people think of it.

(I've ediited this to polish the idea off quite a bit. I like how it reads better, now.)

Thanks guys. Maybe this can become a project once the Creation Kit is available. I'd be more than happy to do a little writing for it, that's for sure. I have a plot laid out in mind, with a few plot points, that I'd gladly share if anything gets underway. But as I said, I am indeed saddened at the incomplete nature of the Companions, as if to say that Bethesda started them with lofty goals and then decided to dismiss them in favour of other portions of the game.

There's a lot of potential for the Companions and their story, and as you can guess, I'd have chosen to redeem the werewolves myself. I think that standing before the Jarl with an artefact of Ysgramor, having him order his men not to attack and having him promise the same, and then taking form before his very eyes would be an incredible scene. Especially followed by the right words, spoken by the player.

It would allow the Companions to be legends again, and following this (or the completion of the other quest line), you'd have people turning up at your door, people whom you could train or send to others within your ranks to train, or turn away if you dislike them for some reason. And, once they're trained to your satisfaction, you could have them meet you in the Underforge to perform a slightly modified version of the ritual that Aela and Skjor performed for you.

The end result of this would be, of course, that you could take a number of Companions into battle with you. Perhaps up to three. Hand-picked by you from the original Companions and perhaps some of the new ones you've trained. And when you shift in battle, they do, and you get to watch your foes set upon by three towering wolves, the pride of Whiterun, and of the Companions. That would be quite a sight indeed.

Fighting the foes of the nordic peoples as the White Wolves would be something I could really get into, I think, and you probably feel the same way. It's just a shame that none of this occurred to Bethesda.

Well, as is always the case... we may be able to fix that.

As an extension to this idea, Ysgramor could send you to take on Hircine's wolf, the embodiment of what you are. The idea here is that you'd go up against a giant white wolf, one capable of using frost breath (if we can get the animations/effects for that), and claim its hide. Said hide could then be taken by to Ysgramor, who would bless it, as part of changing the once-curse into something else entirely. He'd then have us send it to a talented arms crafter, to make armour from its hide. This armour would be an upgrade of the Wolf Armour that Eorlund sells.

When you transform wearing this armour (and the armour can be upgraded via normal means), you'll transform into the white wolf instead. And you can transform as many times a day. The power will be granted in a similar way to how Hircine's Ring works. The benefits of the white wolf would be that you'd be more powerful, you'd regenerate a little, and you'd be treated as a 'normal person' by everyday townsfolk, perhaps with the odd line thrown in there about you being a werewolf.

Like I said, you'd need to 'out' yourself to the Jarl to earn the benefit of being able to walk amongst the peoples, but that would be one of the benefits. So in either your base, normal form, or your white wolf form, you'd be treated normally. And the other side to this is that if you have a Companion (or Companions, should that happen) with you, when you transform into a white wolf, they'll transform. And you'll all be wearing this nifty new armour, to boot.

Yeah, it would take a lot of effort, effects work, modelling, skinning, voice work, and perhaps even some animations, but... I think it would be worth it. Like I said in the title, these guys are the Companions, they're living legends and the greatest warriors Skyrim has ever known. They deserved better than the half-arsed fate Bethesda meted out upon them.

So I was thinking about what the Jarl might say upon seeking his blessing. Probably something like this:

Whiterun faces many threats, she and I have powerful enemies. Our friends and allies... too few, for my liking. But the Companions have always stood amongst them. Jorrvaskr stood long before Whiterun, with you as its defenders, and as Whiterun sprung up around it, you became her defenders.

Whiterun and the Companions have long since been one and the same; Friends. The faces change, but the cause remains the same, you fight for your honour, and for ours. I have learned that you sought Ysgramor's blessing, and won it through blood and sweat. And now you seek mine. It is yours. You are the Companions, and you are now the White Wolves of Whiterun. Let it be known that those who would dare raise a sword against you raises a sword against Whitrun, and in turn, against me. And I do not take such lightly.

Do as you have always done, Companions, and do so with my blessing. And as for you, Harbinger, I would tell you that Kodlak and I were close friends, this has been so with all the Jarls and Harbingers that came before us, and that honour now falls to you. Bring honour to the Companions, to the White Wolves, and to Whiterun. I trust that you will not let me down.

Hmm, how would old Vignar put it? Let's see...

Aye, I knew about old Kodlak. And if he'd not told me then the smell would've given him away. I think most of us had an idea, at least those bright of us enough to, anyway. Old Kodlak didn't see eye-to-eye with you about this, did he? I wonder what he'd have to say about how things are now. And look at you, even Ysgramor agrees if the whispers I've heard have the right of it. And here you are, dragonborn, a true son of Skyrim, and... a werewolf.

Can't say it matters to me.

I don't think that's the answer you wanted, and I do owe you, so for any fool who'd question you, you can say that the Jarl of Whiterun stands with you. I shared mead with the Companions while many here were still whelps, and I know the worth of the word of Ysgramor. The Companions and us Gray-Manes have stood together as brothers, I don't see why a thing like a little more body hair and the smell of it should change that now.

So go do what you do, dragonborn, werewolf, it doesn't matter to me. So long as you bring honour to Whiterun and Skyrim, it doesn't matter what you are. You've proved yourself time and again, and I'd say that to any son or daughter of Skyrim who've served Whiterun and me as well as you have. Well, the others will have to decide for themselves, but you've got my favour, and that'll count when it matters.

In Whiterun you won't have to worry, hairy or not. Heh. And I'm sure that the word will get out soon enough. You're the Companions, and the best of us. That should be enough for anyone. And I think with that this old man has done more'n enough talking for now. So... off you go. Go do what you do.

[Edited.]

I've edited the first post to polish up the idea a bit. And it simplifies things by having the player fight the same creature no matter which choice they make, which would make the mod a little easier to create.

Once the Creation Kit is available, should I start a WIP for this and start recruiting people to make it happen? Would the interest be there? I'd be more than happy to offer what writing skills I have, too. I'd be interested in some opinions on this matter.

Let's see, Hircine...

---

Werewolf.

---

Why do you approach, hunter? This is hallow ground, and you are not yet my champion. Speak, before my jaws find your throat!

I claim your pelt in the name of Ysgramor!

A challenge! Well, I accept, of course! How could I refuse an audience that entertains me so? But know that I am no base prey, hunter. I am an aspect of the great Hircine, and this day may be your last. Savour it. And if my teeth find your neck, know that I will reward you by making you mine forever. Either way, the honour would be yours, hunter. Are you prepared?

I am prepared, Hircine. Ready yourself!

Your wilful, arrogant nature amuses me greatly, and I would have you at my hunting grounds. To arms then, brave hunter, let's see whom of us is truly the prey! Have at you!

---

I am victorious, and I claim the spills.

Indeed you are, and that was a kill as thrilling as any I've ever seen. I'll miss this particular aspect, but you have earned your spoils. Take them, then. I know what you seek to do with this pelt and I am disappointed, little hunter. I am very disappointed. But not all men are ready for the true gift of Hircine. Perhaps at your life's end you will well accept my summons to my hunting grounds, and there I will greet you with open arms.

Perhaps so.

Then hunt well, little one. In time, we may meet again.

---

The Cure-All

---

Why do you approach, hunter? This is hallow ground, and you are not yet my champion. Speak, before my jaws find your throat!

I would bid you to withdraw lycanthropy from this land.

Amusing. Would you now? Tell me then, little hunter, why would the great Hircine hear such a demand? Why would I even entertain it? And why would I not just tear out your throat right now for this affront? Speak!

I challenge you, foul Hiricne! And should I win, I'll see that you meet my demands.

Oh, is that so? We shall see, little hunter. But know that this aspect is powerful, and your fate will be to become nothing more than a red stain upon this pure, white snow. And once you're mine, I will seek your allies, your friends, your family, and I will make them mine, too. It will be a high price you pay if you should fail. Are you prepared?

I am. Ready yourself, beast!

So be it!

---

Ha, I stand over you victorious! And now you will yield.

Oh, will I now? All you've won is my amusement, as that was truly a grand hunt. You showed your mettle to me and proved your worth. I am certain that your tone will change in time, as is true of all of my children, none of them can at first accept the truth of their reality. So I--

No! I have defeated you, and by the will of Kynareth, the spirit of nature, the light to your darkness, you will listen!

Well then, that's a novelty. It's been a few centuries since this has happened. As I recall, the last time wa sin Cyrodiil, long ago, and I was forced to withdraw my children from those lands. And yet I have since managed to worm my way around that particular obstacle, as no one can avoid a true hunter forever, and no lands or people can truly ever escape the will of Hircine. But for now I must submit, but there will be a time of reckoning, little hunter. An insult such as this the grand Hircine won't soon forget. You've made a very powerful enemy.

So be it. The consequences are mine.

Hrnf. I respect your arrogance at the very least. Pray that I never choose to seek you out again, little one, for if I do, it will be with my jaws wrapped around your throat as you sleep.

---

I love this idea! Could we link this to my thread? http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/467036-werewolf-tweeks/page__p__3840831#entry3840831 I'm trying to gather all the best werewolf ideas into one request section. If you don't mind that is.

Another one is I want to see Solstheim again. What would the bloodmoon cycle be like this time around?