ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

My last days with Oblivion

Elbon

It's just over a week away before my new pc arrives, so right now I'm on a mad run through Cyrodiil trying to finish as many quest before the last night. Come that monday the 14th I will be killing everyone and once I'm done I will "walk" into skyrim and rest

Funny, I never looked at Oblivion as over. During the week prior to Skyrim coming out I deleted and totally reinstalled Oblivion. I updated and installed all the mods that I love. My Oblivion game is all neat and tidy and waiting for me when I return. I have played and loved the game too long to say I'll never play it again.

No I think people make posts like this because it is far too important to them.

I know from first-hand experience because I've made similar posts for quitting MMOs before. When I inevitably came back to play those games a few times again because I was bored I realized that a lot of other people often make those posts as well.

When you put it all together you can see that people really do just crave the drama. It's a weird scene when you quit a game that has no end. All that time and memories you invested into it.

Then you finally come to realize "hey it's just a game I can come back to or not and nobody will really care if I do or not so I'll just enjoy life and enjoy my games."

In an MMO, I can understand leaving a message. You've developed friendships in the game, both for yourself, and your character. It makes sense, and it's courteous to leave something a farewell.

Can't say I understand the motivation of somebody playing a standalone who does this, however. The motivation can't be the same, since they're not communicating to anybody they've played with. Still seems some sort of weird "broadcast to the world," but I can't state that I understand what's going on. If they want to stop playing? Fine, they can stop. Or, they can start at another time. Nobody really cares, since it's just them and their game. If they're trying to tell us all in some way to emulate them, they're not exactly succeeding. Whether a person chooses to keep playing Oblivion or leave it for Skyrim or play them on alternate weekends is the business of the person who owns the game, and no one else. :)

Well, I am 30 Hours into Skyrim now and just tried to play Oblivion. It was unplayable for me.

Not that Oblivion is or was a bad game, quite the contrary ("gazillionhundreds" hours playtime), but Skyrim does so many things so much better (one thing worse though....Horses suck even more in Skyrim) that Oblivion "feels" totally weird afterwards.

Usually I dont like hyping things out of proportion but Skyrim is really good. So far I have not missed Oblivion.

Its not like turning your back on a good Friend but saying "Farewell" and thank you for many good times.