Rebalancing Skyrim

fourtylashes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can there be a magicka problem if you can cast spells of up to two schools for FREE?

it took me about 4 hours to get enchantment from 30ish to 100 (~220 enchantments, 5x training, 2 books)

and mudcrab-soul-hunting was actually fun (sound weird, but i somehow really enjoyed it)

(granted, i did stock up on empty and prefilled soulgems (petty and lesser) from the very beginning)

i decided to not give my character -100%

-84% and some serious regen-boost were enough for me

you don't even need to enchant. you can get up to -72% with stock equipment alone (but it might take a while to find it)

damage tends to get somewhat low on high levels, but then again who need damage when you can stagger-lock you opponent

(another thing that needs changing. dual cast spells seem to stagger 100% of the time, 30ish seem more appropriate to me)

getting surprised or swarmed is still deadly, but that's usually avoidable by, you know, thinking

that's on adept, wouldn't know about other difficulties and frankly don't care

this is not a mmo

i agree damage and esecially master level spells need serious buffing, but theres no problem with magicka cost

Edited by gagugu

In my opinion, enemy archers are not strong. They are just about right. I didn't really have an issue with them in anything up to elven armor. As far as our own archery, it's pretty good. It's loads better than Oblivion. So far I've played one up to about level 30, maybe a tad higher. Right now, I'm playing with a shield/1H axe Orc.

Horses are useless to me. I've never messed with them more than a few times in any ES. They don't move all that fast so I'd rather just walk. Sure, they get up hills a little easier, but it's not worth it. Plus I don't like having to keep one around. It's too much work for little return.

I kind of agree with OPs points, however I'm not a expert in any way. I do think conjuring needs a boost in some way and that you drain magicka to fast, imo you should have bigger magicka pool/less consumption while casting the spells and lower base regen rate.

Haven't tried archery a lot so cant comment on that, however stealthy melee are just broken. 30x crit modifiers? I havent even been trying to improve my gear properly im playing expert at level ~25 in random gear i pick up on the way. And I kill EVERYTHING I backstab with 1 hit. Even if I would just use one dagger i would most likely kill my enemy in a hit, imagine dual wielding power attack backstab.

An example of the ridiculous damage I do with ONE dagger during power attack (Perks during this: 3 one handed and assassins blade, also got the gloves that makes sneak attack 2x damage), this is during expert difficulty and I'm level 20, the dagger is a ebony dagger (21 damage).

http://i.imgur.com/IGocN.jpg

Now imagine some proper equipment and such, damage would go through the roof. I bet you would do enough damage to kill 2 dragons in a double-power-sneak attack.

Something strange happend yesterday. In my previous post, I stated that I thought Magic was way to weak. But suddenly (without changing difficulty) everyone has started to die like flies under my fireballs. Doe's anyone know how the level scaling system works? It was as if I at one lvl was super weak, and the next level had God like powers... Have anyone else experienced something similar?

just one suggestion (i haven't read all 4 pages, so my apologies if this has already been said) regarding halving magicka cost- maybe lowering it by 20-25% or so, and then reducing it by a further X% per skill point for that school? after all, it makes sense that, if you were very inexperienced with conjuration, you'd find it much more difficult to cast the spells, but they will get easier with practice?

I play a warrior with 2-handed + block as main tree, with some archery, on the side.

So i don't use magic , only healing. So i cant say anything about magic, But i have read that it was powerful so im not 100% sure you are right (and on average difficultly???) So il let this to others.

I agree with much of what you said but i don't agree with:

- Horsis are not to expensive.

- And archers are not to powerful, i would say they are a bit to weak. (kinda like them as they are, they don't kill you directly but if the fight is long and u get low on health, they can be the killing element before you have a chance to heal, i like this)

My two biggest beefs with Skyrims balance is as follows:

-Healing should be much harder to get, and not something you can use at the start with any type of character.

Make healing useless at the start until you get a medium lvl perk that makes it good. This will make potions more viable in the early game.

Maybe not start with 100 in magica, but less and you have to take some perks to get it?

-Make the scale on enemy's more realistic.

I would like to see that all enemy's can hurt you, even the lower lvl ones, and the higher ones might be "nerfed" some to compensate.

I never want to feel like a god in this game, i want to have a challenge in the fights. And a better way to do this than just adding DMG + HP to enemy's is making DMG very high from enemy's but they might not take very much dmg before they die.

Like for example: You are a uber badass lvl 50+ 2 handed fighter with all the good stuff.

Bad Bandit:

Attacks to kill you: 14 normal attacks or 7 power

Attack from you to kill them: 1 normal or 1 power

Medium Bandut:

Attacks to kill you: 11 normal attacks or 5 power

Attack from you to kill them: 2 normal or 1 power

Good Bandit:

Attacks to kill you: 8 normal attacks or 4 power

Attack from you to kill them: 4 normal or 2 power

And then you go up all they way to the

Legend Bandit:

Attacks to kill you: 4 normal attacks 2 power

Attack from you to kill them: 10 normal or 3-4 power

This is just ~ values ofc. (ALL BASED ON 2-HANDED WEAPONS)

But as the game is now, 30 Bad Bandits could hardly make a dent on you but one Legend Bandit can kill you easy.

Its better to make the difference between the top lvl and the low lvls much smaller imo. Then you can add enemy's to certain areas depending on your lvl much better.

Then a fight with

Bad Bandit: 6

Medium Bandut:1

Good Bandit: 1

Would be a challenge, even when you are at high lvls.

As the game is now, that would not be a challenge,

As it is now you can beat 200 Bad Bandit and not even take a dent.

I hope you see my point.

Less variance between the different lvls, add more dmg to the lower tiers and remove dmg from the higher.

I played for a long time on Master, but its so broke its not even funny. The bad creatures cant kill you, but the good ones take 40 hits and 1 shot/strike you.... (at around lvl 15-25)

Expert is better. but its not good either.

Edited by KeyserSoeze

What else should I do?

Tone down enemy mages.

Their wards are ridiculous and make them as durable as an entire squad of enemy heavy armor + shields tanks.

Once that wards up.. you'#re screwed and are completely helpless. Even lightning magic doesn't help.

Combined with the fact they can 1-2 shot you... yeah. Least fun thing in the game.

And sadly enough... players ward is useless due to the mana cost. if it was a one time paying of the cost and keep the ward as long as you hold down the key.. maybe it could be useful for running away or getting in range. As it stands.. useless.

Also, might I suggest adding something like +2 max encumbrance per 10 points in stamina?

Lastly.. I would really like to see dragons being stronger than common trolls. They should be slaying the NPC's, not getting slaughtered by the NPC's. WOuld it be possible to make dragon attacks do 5x damage to NPC's?

Edited by Raddra

In my opinion after first playthrough.

Armor:

-Only good talent and "different" is stamina regen vs fall dmg(silly). Stamina is not much of issue at certain point , and fall dmg is something i would like to see actually on light armor (thief jumping from roofs etc).

-Heavy have mentioned penalty removal which is just ridiculous because its just makes heavy pure winner.

-Light and heavy got their's 10% talents nearly same. Light should have 10-20% dodge where heavy should have something completely different. (maybe 10% chance to stagger enemy on being hit due rebounce from heavy metal).

-Odd thing is that where dragon's set (smith wise) is 100point perk (which should be best) is only best for light armor where heavy got 80p? daedric armor with better stats and may not care about weight due weight ignore perk.

-Shields are actually useless. Unless you plan on heavily investing in them which kinda makes it better to invest in offense(and armor) and just kill the enemy. Early game i found shield not effective enough. If i was at point when i needed to use it, it didn't offer enough protection to make it worth.

Except self heal i didn't used spells.Why? because they cost so much and i feel like i need that robe to be anyhow viable with mana. Not to mention their silly damage which finally brings me to:

-Melee combat is way OP from player perspective. When i got daedric set (from smith) improved to legendary (again from same smith perk) i went into god mode vs any melee enemy. With decent melee HP (had ~350) i could just ignore any enemies except mages (not to mention getting lord stone at that point...)

-From same mentioned smith daedric perk i got sword which after improving had 100dmg. (which basicly makes it more than enough weapon for the rest of the game. And till end i didn't found better sword (sad)).

At that point no enemy was match for me (except few mages (at least some challenge)). last boss, anything was just melted down with few slashes and power strikes.

(fix here would be something like -40% of heavy armor effectiveness and +50-100% shield effectiveness).

Picklocking:

-completely skipable. In the end you may learn to open master locks even with 3 picks.

Alchemy:

-Only useful potions i found are: Cure disease, insta health. sometimes mana stamina.

Enchanting:

-i cant say anything bad about it except "fiery soul trap" enchant which is too strong. In current late game it is probably OP due double enchant + bonuses.

Smithing:

-I dont like how best heavy-daedric armor requires same mats as ebony +1 silly heart. This gives too easy access best gear.

Speech:

-seems useless / not rewarding enough.

So yea game need heavy rebalance/rework because if you actually explore the game, do dungeons etc game starts to not scale properly and it becomes way too easy/boring.

PS. Also theres way too low amount of some unique artifact like items and too much garbage which you don't even bother to pick. After mentioned daedric armor every dungeon i cleared or even epic quest like forging amulet i was saying to myself: "worthless/ waste of time/ again garbage (in last chest)"

Edited by Nerfpl