Rebalancing Skyrim

fourtylashes

#3 > Pure magic doesn't work? I'm playing a Breton Conjurer. Between my summoned creatures and my Bound Bow w/ soultrap&banish I'm having a great time.

What I don't get is the Lockpick skill. I haven't put a point to lockpicking and I'm able to pick everything including "expert" rated locks.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't get is the Lockpick skill. I haven't put a point to lockpicking and I'm able to pick everything including "expert" rated locks.

What is even more stupid is that the "unbreakable lockpick" perk makes all of the other easier picking skills obsolete.

Edited by Fluzing

#3 > Pure magic doesn't work? I'm playing a Breton Conjurer. Between my summoned creatures and my Bound Bow w/ soultrap&banish I'm having a great time.

Note: This isnt a flame post.

1) Pure magic is a player that focuses on training the different schools of magic and spending perks in that, wearing nothing but cloth gear, and their main damage source being destruction. Just training conjuration resulting in like level 10-15 with 2 flame atronachs and a bound weapon is not a pure mage, and indeed very strong on lower levels.

2) what difficulty are you playing on? I'm talking about Master only. And even on the lower settings the higher level you get, the less usefull destruction magic gets.

There are balancing problems in the game for sure. I have a feeling relatively small adjustments could fix a lot. I'm looking forward to see what you will end up with.

It's too easy to steal I agree with that, but don't like that content should be blocked of if you steal something and nobody sees you. Maybe a town will get more guards for a while, houses upgrade their locks and so on if the crime rate is high in that town?

The one thing I'm most disappointed about is still companions and marriage, so I'm hoping someone wants to make this aspect of the game more interesting in time. Companions feel like pets and not a rpg companion. Instead of having a ton of different companions available I would like just a few more interesting once. Seems like when someone becomes your companion their story is already done. Something like the way they have shown in the swtor previews would be amazing.

Mages arent powered enough? Im sorry what?

I STOPPED playing my archmage because the game got too easy for me, and rolled a pure melee instead, and i ONLY play on Master difficulty.

Yes mana is a *censored* at first, which is what staves are for, but once ur robes are passing 100% mana regen, AND you have the mask that adds another 100% mana regen the game gets EASY. Dual cast fireballs alone will kill any opponent in the game with ease.

Not to mention the benefits of 100 enchanting means u can get one school for FREE!!

-Exo

I STOPPED playing my archmage because the game got too easy for me, and rolled a pure melee instead, and i ONLY play on Master difficulty.

Yes mana is a *censored* at first, which is what staves are for, but once ur robes are passing 100% mana regen, AND you have the mask that adds another 100% mana regen the game gets EASY. Dual cast fireballs alone will kill any opponent in the game with ease.

Not to mention the benefits of 100 enchanting means u can get one school for FREE!!

-Exo

That, Sir, is the problem.

It's not a choice to max enchanting as a Mage, it's a must.

And shouldn't a game be about choices? Without enchanting it is rather hard to get gear decent enough to support spell spamming, which is required on higher difficulties.

Smithing is the same for every weapon based character. Which is wrong.

I would like the option to skip enchanting as a mage. It would be even ok if some npcs could do the enchanting for you. For a high enough price....

-Exo

That, Sir, is the problem.

It's not a choice to max enchanting as a Mage, it's a must.

And shouldn't a game be about choices? Without enchanting it is rather hard to get gear decent enough to support spell spamming, which is required on higher difficulties.

Smithing is the same for every weapon based character. Which is wrong.

I would like the option to skip enchanting as a mage. It would be even ok if some npcs could do the enchanting for you. For a high enough price....

Coming from a level 46 pure mage with 100+ hours and most of the map explored...

Enchanting is a luxury and NOT required. Even before my enchanting was good enough to compete with my other gear, I was spamming Incinerate to my heart's content. I had to be a bit more cautious, but I could still easily handle everything thrown at me. Enchanting is a good investment, but it is not required. Once you can combine dragon shouts like Become Ethereal with things like Fire Storm, any enemy can be overcome with a bit of skill and timing. Alduin fell before my Lightning Storm and summoned minions in mere moments. Magic, if developed properly, is plenty good enough to play the game with. And, because this is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, that's all I care about. I don't give two whits if a warrior, archer or hybrid build are better or worse. Each are their own experience with their own challenges. (For instance, archers kill me due to my low health, so my only counter is to keep my wits about me and dodge arrows. Though, I just got the Dragon Flesh spell, so maybe things will change ^^)

What I find amusing is the talk of people complaining about magic at higher difficulties. The game is balanced for Adept. If you set it higher than that, that's your decision, and you can reap the insane consequences. I see absolutely no reason to play the game like that, as it is not how the developers intended it. The game simply cannot be balanced to allow for equal challenges among all builds at all difficulties, and so balance decisions have to be made for the default difficulty setting. The harder difficulties are for special challenges and may require very specific builds to overcome. This cannot be avoided.

The bottom line is, if you are not focused on magic, you probably should focus on its utility spells, and largely ignore Destruction. If you want to use a Destruction heavy build, you'll need to spend the levels in mana and the perks to support it -- Alteration, Illusion and Restoration -- just as you'd need to spend the points in Stamina and Health, with weapon and armor perks for a melee character. A jack of all trades simply should not be using Destruction, it's inherently a very specialized skill.

@OP: But, despite all of my above opinions, one of my own points can be used against me. This is a single player game. So, mod to your hearts content. You may not get a download from me, but judging by this thread, you'll have tons of fans. Best of luck!

Once you can combine dragon shouts like Become Ethereal with things like Fire Storm, any enemy can be overcome with a bit of skill and timing. Alduin fell before my Lightning Storm and summoned minions in mere moments. Magic, if developed properly, is plenty good enough to play the game with. And, because this is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, that's all I care about.

You think it is OK that you can defeat the last boss as if it were a normal mob, because it is a SINGLE PLAYER GAME? Every game needs balance especially RPGs.

Edited by Fluzing

Of course enchanting is a luxury. It breaks the game. Obviously Bethesda did not play the game with free spells. How feasible the game is without free spells depends on how much cost reduction you did stack and how much regen you stacked, and of course what difficulty you're playing on.

Granted casters can be overpowered. But melee/archers can be even more overpowered. So compared to melee, casters are underpowered, but compared to the enemies, all classes are overpowred when played correctly to their max. A proper balance mod needs to fix both pretty badly to deserve being called a balance mod! Of course it's far from simple to fix it...

-Exo

Out of curiosity, what level were you? Once you get 40+ as a mage IN COMPARISON to everything else, you have a much much harder time, in other words : Underpowered. Wether enchanting is a must or not, i would say yes, others may disagree. But if I spam the strongest destruction spells on a single opponent for about 20 seconds straight they die. If I play my warrior I 1 shot master difficulty mobs, and even bosses with 1h swords, 1h axes, and bow.

There should be some changes in magic, but not making the spells twice as strong or anything, I love playing as a pure destruction mage because its basically putting another difficulty level on top of Master, actually using tactics in a fight is what makes it fun. Not just randomly slashing your way through enemies.