Fallout 4 crashes on startup after removing mods

klop3s

I was attempting to install several mods through NMM and the game crashed, so I uninstalled all of the mods. I then attempted to launch the vanilla game and it would crash after the launcher loaded.

So far I have:

Verified the cache through steam

Reinstalled the game

Reinstalled the game again, but at a different location

Reinstalled NMM & mods

Each of these steps did not help my problem at all, (although FO4 vanilla ran after i changed the install location and reinstalled)

Here is my load order:

0 0 Fallout4.esm
1 1 DLCRobot.esm
2 2 DLCCoast.esm
3 3 DLCworkshop02.esm
4 4 SpringCleaning.esm
5 5 SC_ExpandedScrapList.esp
6 6 ManufacturingExtended.esp
7 7 keyNuker.esp
8 8 DarkerNightsDetection.esp
9 9 DarkerNights.esp
10 a DarkerNights-FarHarbor.esp
11 b TrueStormsFO4.esp
12 c TrueStormsFO4-ClimateSettings.esp
13 d DarkerNights-TrueStorms.esp
14 e SettlersRename.esp
15 f BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp
16 10 BetterSettlers.esp
17 11 BetterSettlersMortalPack.esp
My system specs are definitly not a problem as I ran FO4 before on ultra and did 2 playthroughs with some light modding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Edited by klop3s

Check if any mods in the load order are yellow-ish, if so, look if they have a dependency of another .esm oder .esp and install those or remove the other mod. If that is not the case, remove the saves from you folder in documents and try starting the game again.

Removing the ini, prefs and custom could also help, since those seem to register mods formerly used.

Edited by Tyberion

None of the plugins appear yellow, and I checked it over with LOOT since I originally posted this and it didn't really change anything. I also deleted all of my .ini files in my documents folder, I assume those are the ones you are talking about. I then remade the Fallout4Custom.ini file and pasted the necessary text, but the game is still broken.

Edited by klop3s

I haven't made any new savegames with these mods installed, I havent even made it to the game menu, and even when I use the uninstall feature of NMM it does nothing. There are no savegames in that folder as I moved them all before I deleted everything.

When you say crash after the launcher loads do you mean you never get to the game menu where you can start new game or a saved game? That generally can indicate a missing ESM but your load order looks ok at least from what you posted.. Check and make sure that your game's video resolution is set the same as your window's desktop video resolution. If it's different then it can also cause this type of crash. Finally have you tried launching and running the game thru steam and not thru NMM to see if it will get further along?

I was having that issue a while ago, does it crash as soon as the intro movie starts playing? If so, go to steam, right click and go to properties. In the local files tab choose the bottom option, "verify integrity of game cache". It will just check if any of the game files are corrupt.

Just try it.

• 4 years later...

I was having that issue a while ago, does it crash as soon as the intro movie starts playing? If so, go to steam, right click and go to properties. In the local files tab choose the bottom option, "verify integrity of game cache". It will just check if any of the game files are corrupt.

Just try it.

i am having that problem rn, before it used to crash during loading a game. i disabled my mods (over 300 of them) and it worked so i proceeded to install mmy mods fromm Bethesda. i restarted the game after it finished loading the mmods because that can cause mods not working properly when i load the game. but i came to a surprise that it started crashing on the black startup screen tried many things till i see that i just had to change my resolution but now i get a crash after the black screen that crashes 2 seconds into the video intro.

Note: i have been playing for 161 hours i have gone through this type of things but not 3 times a row. as now i am trying to fix FO4