ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

So... Interface mods?

marharth

My complaint is that the mouse clicks in the menus seems off. I cannot click toward the top or left side of the menu item. I have to click low and to the right. Also the same in dialog and trade windows. Also, sometimes the game does not register when I point at an item. I have to use the scroll wheel on the mouse in order to get the proper item (dialog, inventory or store) into the position where it highlights. Only then can I click it. I am adapting to these conditions, but like many others, I feel that I shouldn't have to.

As to the rest, I have gotten semi-used to it. I even remapped/exchanged the favorites and shout keys so that all I have to do is hit Q for shout. Since favorites pauses the game anyway, I just mapped it to Z.

For combat/roaming, the mouse and keyboard work pretty much as I would expect.

As for getting to my favorites and all... well... all the important keys are in the right sspot, barring that "Z" for shouting, that's just a pain. My pinky finger does not like to be pressed in that position. Same with using ALT for running, so next time I play agian, I will move them. Other than that, once you get the hang of it the interface is ok. Not brilliant, not perfect, but survivable ok.

What I miss is the zoom option on the keyboard. Scrollwheels are nice, but I use a trackball. No scroll-wheel. But really, as far as I can tell the map doesnt improve much by zooming in so its ok.

That's pretty much my experience even though the keyboard based scrolling function and mouse clicks can be a bit confusing. (The Level Up interface is especially lousy, I can scroll between the various perks with my mouse, but when I click on the perk I want to select, it simply scrolls away - I have to use the Enter button to allocate perk points to it).

The Favorites... well, I'm not a 'realism freak', but pressing Q to freeze time and switch a lot of equipment, drink potions or even read a book, while the attacker is waiting for you patiently seems to be a bit iffy - the old way of using the numeric keys from 1 to 8 was a tad bit better, but that's just my opinion.

I might also add that the interface looks to me like a precursor to Fallout IV rather than a UI for a fantasy game, so I will welcome a facelift when somebody decides to release one.

Just wanted to add that you can still use 1-8... :P

I don't like how the mouse/scroll works with the UI, but I am slowly learning to use wasd and enter for the UI instead. ;) (Once I've done that, it's much easier.)

Edited by Zaldiir

There is no denying the UI has some serious problems on keyboard/mouse, whether some folks can "get used to it" or not. Multiple keys cannot be rebound properly or break secondary functions when rebound (E, F, R, and as mentioned elsewhere on these forums, Esc). Using the chat menus with a mouse is completely unreliable, as it will repeatedly attempt to choose the old highlighted choice or the centered one rather than the one your mouse cursor is directly over. On top of that, inventory sorting to containers is completely unintuitive with left click to remove items while NO click will put items into the container, you can only do it with the R key (pray you didn't rebind here by the way), otherwise you will consume/equip the items you are trying to store (had to reload a save after accidentally eating a half dozen expensive reagents this way). There are other problems as well, but it would almost be a waste of time to repeat every single one here when they are plastered all over the forums in many threads covering the same subject, both here and on the BethSoft official boards.

I might also add that the interface looks to me like a precursor to Fallout IV rather than a UI for a fantasy game, so I will welcome a facelift when somebody decides to release one.

I sincerely hope not, I am far more a Fallout fan than a TES fan (heresy I know, I grew up on FO1/2 before I discovered Morrowind). If they try to run the UI for the next Fallout game like this, I will personally lead the torch-and-pitchfork brigade to their offices.

A revamped UI is probably at the top of the list right now, and I for one can't wait to see one released.

The main thing that bothers me is while PC users everywhere are going on about this, and modders have been looking into it, BethSoft has not made a single peep even acknowledging they screwed the pooch on their UI for keyboard/mouse users.

The horrible thing about ui is that you have to scroll to the item you want with w,a,s,d and then click the mouse. I mean you can (eventually) get used to the tab + w/a/s/d to enter skills/magic/map/items but you have to scroll with w,s to the item you want. Imagine having a large list of alchemy ingredients; You just pick up something new and you now have to hit

tab > d > d > sssss (to scroll to ingredients) > ssssssssssssss (to scroll to the actual item) and then click with the mouse to eat it. Or if you want to drop it hit r after that. So you don't even need the mouse. You can hit e to use the item. This laziness on Bethesda's part says how much they care about pc gamers. I'll never think of them the same now that I know that they don't care about me. Hell Skyrim hasn't made it in my country yet. And I'm in Europe. What does that say about Bethesda?

I find the interface not friendly, like the one of a tablet PC of stone age. The black layers aren't what i expect from a "fantasy" game wich is at its third version, and the inventory ... damn. Don't loot lol

Hell yes, can't wait any mod wich will kill this pain.