CTD after intro movie

I have tried to install Oblivion with a load of mods about 3 times now and everything works fine until I start a new game. The intro movie plays then it crashes with the standard Windows 7 Oblivion.exe has stopped working message. A lengthy search on Google has revealed that this is a common and old issue, but one that has yet to be solved or have a valid fix provided for it. Just wondering if anyone on here knows how to fix this? Or has anyone written a patch or mod file to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs: Intel dual core 2.9 ghz proc, Radeon HD 4650 1GB Graphics card, RAM 3GB DDR2, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Operating System

P.S. That last time I played Oblivion was about 2 years ago and it worked fine with the same setup/mods.

Edited by morrowind1979

Invariably the "time saved" by installing a bunch of mods and then starting the game is lost (and then some) by the time spent troubleshooting problems.

Start with the vanilla game, go through the tutorial dungeon to just before the sewer exit and save (your character creation save). Exit the sewer and save again (your mod testing save). Then start adding mods one at a time and test in between.

When you run into a problem it will be trivial to figure out where to start troubeshooting.

- Edit - Try sorting your load order with BOSS and then build a bashed patch with Wrye Bash.

Edited by Striker879

Really weird one. I just bit the bullet completely Uninstalled Oblivion then re installed game and all mods took me about 4 hours and now as if by magic it started working and didn't crash after the intro movie created my character fine. Didn't do anything different, just seems to be fickle lol.