Combat Zone Restore The Cut Arena.

AtomicFire555

I have been thinking about doing a restoration mod for the combat zone, I saw the second cell for it and was really curious why it was cut, It actually seems like it was meant to be a addition to the first cell rather then a individual cell if one checks it out. And I have to agree, looking through things it hints that you would have been able to wager on fights going on in the combat zone, or even participate yourself in the fight with how its laid out. The lifts in the second cell are non-functional, It seems they never finished working on them, dropping the idea and moving on to something else.

It would be kinda cool though to enter the combat zone and see the lifts raise up Cait and her opponent into the ring for the fight scene at least.

There may be a way to have Cait & opponent on the lifts that are tied to a trigger that as you step through the platforms raise (maybe one of the many elevators in one of the dlcs, mods, vanilla?)

edit in: just as a example of what I was refering to about the area itself, the second cell was designed to fit perfectly within the first cell, the doors and platforms lining up perfectly:

Just a note about this: When I build larger things, I most often build them in an empty interior cell then group, then copy/paste them into their intended location. I could see that as a likely reason for this.

Same here, I do the same, This is what I was thinking they had done with it as well, I've even seen some 'small groupings' in cells that are off abit created for making multiple groups of the same item, as if they forgot to clean it out afterwards.

I have been thinking about doing a restoration mod for the combat zone, I saw the second cell for it and was really curious why it was cut, It actually seems like it was meant to be a addition to the first cell rather then a individual cell if one checks it out. And I have to agree, looking through things it hints that you would have been able to wager on fights going on in the combat zone, or even participate yourself in the fight with how its laid out. The lifts in the second cell are non-functional, It seems they never finished working on them, dropping the idea and moving on to something else.

It would be kinda cool though to enter the combat zone and see the lifts raise up Cait and her opponent into the ring for the fight scene at least.

There may be a way to have Cait & opponent on the lifts that are tied to a trigger that as you step through the platforms raise (maybe one of the many elevators in one of the dlcs, mods, vanilla?)

The lifts are tied to a non existent quest, looking at the scripting for the lifts (which are incomplete) they were initially planned to be raised up into the arena from the lower area, one could easily do it, they'd just have to fix the lifts grouping (like the general elevators), the coding for the switches would have to be replaced to trigger the animation events for the lifts which ticked, and a simple addon quest done to fire off the lifts when the fight scene between cait and her opponent is set, raising them both up into the arena.

Far as betting on a fight, that would have to be done either via dialog or a terminal via a repeatable quest i'd think, you place your bet on red or blue, the lifts drop to the lower levels and the two opponents would be spawned in the lift box, then raised up into the arena, you get to watch the fight and if x opponent dies, it divvy's out the winnings.

With the existing buttons in the cell? o.O the scripts on them say otherwise.

Edit in - Ah yeah you can set them up as basic elevators, not really useful sense its a single player game, still they aren't functioning as intended (look at the button scripting) it was meant to be quest driven, the player only being able to activate the button for lift 1, which basically says you'd be going into a fight arena yourself against a npc.

And as I stated before the scripting for the buttons is incomplete.

one could rewrite it to work like that (fight arena) with random opponents, not that hard I would think.

Edited by caleb68

With the addon DLC for capturing critters / people and doing arena battles it also gives more possibility to making the combat zone more immersive. Far as keeping Caits stuff safe, simply don't allow the arena stuff to work until she's either a) become a companion, or b) not until she is cured.

I think B is the better option of the two, that way it doesn't interfere with the existing dialog with her and the current owner guy, and allows you to setup a script/quest to handle the place afterwards, one could even make the current owner move out sense he doesn't have any further dialogs for the player, and have the player take over the combat zone as a settlement area.

Looking at Nukaworld in the packs area, there is a cage where you will see molerats and dogs (thats all i've seen) battle eachother while the general people including your companion ignore them unless they are in one of the special interaction spots, so making a arena area that others outside of it won't try to jump in and join is possible as well.

My idea with the functioning area - player triggers lift 1, NPC comes out of the dressing room and triggers lift 2, and enters the lift. Simple triggers to close and lock the gate behind you after you enter the lift, so both you nor the npc can get out except by triggering the second lift button.

The players second button isn't able to be activated until the gate for the npc has closed, at that point the player can trigger the lift button and both lifts begin rasing up, another trigger at the top of the lift sets the npc hostile to the player, this automatically begins the fight once the lifts are high enough for both to shoot eachother.

The gate to the cage topside remains locked until the NPC is dead. If the player dies... well, the game itself reloads the last save, so no worries. After the fight the player can exit the cage, head back down to the lower area, and start the process all over again.

Gaining a perk after winning x battles, i.e. like quickdraw, would be a good reward, or setup some sort of terminal where the player can bet, and pick the difficulty of the opponent.

Just what i've thought up for it thinking about the area.

thats the script that handles the main entry scene bit and tommy & cait after the player opens the doors to the combat zone, starts the fight between cait and the opponent, spotlights, etc etc.

If you look for CZStageControllerREF (activator) in the combat zone you'll find it with all the filled out options. Haven't looked at the coding yet, was seeing if it was linked to anything already in the game.

Looking at the quest CZ, you'll see a bunch of quest stages that are tagged as obsolete, going through them it shows the player was originally going to be given the option to fight with cait in the area, being given a hand to hand weapon by a handler, and then entering the ring to fight her. At the end (further obsolete quests) the player gets paid for beating Cait, and can ask for more caps (success / fail).

If you go into the Scene tab of the CZ quest, it was litterally meant for the player to have multiple matches, again look at the 'obsolete' scenes, CZ_Arena_PlayerMatch has conversations setup for the player to return and have multiple matches against other npc's.

I have no idea why they dropped this, this would of made the combat zone so much more immersive rather then 'go in kill raider, get awarded Cait'. One even low level with enough ammo and a good rifle can kill every raider, just staying in the first room after opening the door, only two raiders only ever come up to the door at once, and most of the raiders in there are pretty wimpy to begin with.

Back to the stages, CZ_Arenea_PlayerMatch even tells the player in conversation to go downstairs and enter the lift in phaze 4.

It looks like most the stuff for the original arena idea is there, although some stuff seems broken, someone who's good with quests could probably get it working properly again to trigger most of the stuff.

I know from some work I did before on the Combat Zone that if you were to clean it up you would need to do a lot of work on the ground because the trash/debris/rubble covers up "The Void" instead of floor being underneath the trash. It would be neat as a functional settlement or restored to an actual arena like everyone is talking about.

I took a few minutes to see how much trouble it would be, after moving all the raider stuff to the shacks layer, it was a pretty quick cleanup on the main floor, the only trouble area I see for cleanup is the upper balcony, its just one giant mesh, one would have to replace it with individual pieces like the below floor in order to restore the large hole in the middle of it.

http://www.caleb68.com/Fo4/czcleanup.jpg